Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I will still wait until all the cards are laid. In the meantime, may I not ridicule you for what you may or may not believe.
you will likely be waiting a long long long long long long time. We will probubly never have all the cards laid out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,956,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Ugh, not this "anything that cant be proven impossible must be taken to be possible" argument all over again. Sure, you can have that, but its your picking and choosing what is possible and not (ie, your dismissal of pink unicorn vs strong argument for a creator) that shows the weakness of that logic.

If you want to live in that world, picking and choosing what to defend is intellectually dishonest. Another give away is your attributing popular religious themes into your image of god (ie, him creating us, possibly wanting something from us, etc) - where did that come from? Perhaps molded by previous models of god (ie christian god)...? Why that matters is because a certain idea of him is engraind in our society, we are bombarded with it and eventually it becomes less absurd. So is it a great mystery you include those characteristics into your personal mold of him? Youve just added a spin on it..
Whatever. What I am saying is that I don't care whether or not pink Unicorns are possible. What I do care about is whether or not a God exists that possibly created us. If a God could exist that did not create us, or wants nothing from us, it doesn't matter. Why is it so hard to understand that those themes upon a God(whether religious or not(perhaps there is a reason why these themes are prevalent in religion)it doesn't matter), would be the themes that I deem to be important if such a God exists? I don't care about the length of the horn of a speculative pink Unicorn.

Is God gay? Don't care.
Is God white? Don't care.
Does God exist? Care.
Could a God have created me? Care.

Again, it is not that I assign possible themes to a possible God, but that those themes are what is important if God is possible. Most other attributes do not matter.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
you will likely be waiting a long long long long long long time. We will probubly never have all the cards laid out.
Agreed. My point is, not believing in any Gods that we have given names to, regardless of how much I believe in a creator God, if it were proven impossible that such a God could exist, I would accept that, having come close in the past to already doing so.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,452 times
Heres a bias check...does one have more validity than the other, or are they equals:

1. Pink unicorn
2. God

Edit-

Notice i didnt ask if you cared about one more than the other, but rather if you deem both equally possible..

Last edited by TheEarthBeneathMe; 06-22-2011 at 09:54 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Heres a bias check...does one have more validity than the other, or are they equals:

1. Pink unicorn
2. God
I just blew my brains out.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:45 PM

Also keep in mind that what you deem an important quality of god depends on your culture. does you god make rain fall due to an elaborate dance? does it preach war and the honor of dying in battle? dont be under the false impression that all religions share a common image of god..

Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:

1. Pink unicorn
2. God

Edit-

Notice i didnt ask if you cared about one more than the other, but rather if you deem both equally possible..
Okay. Given the fact that we exist, don't know how, and that a God is a possible explanation to our existence, then yes. The idea of a God has much more validity.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
I suppose God is just barely more possible than a pink unicorn (not including the use of a can of spray paint).

Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,210,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The only way to respond to your last question is with the old saw "Anything is possible". As we know, it isn't.

I have one question: If the "physical manifestation in front of two sober witnesses" occurred, and you thereafter believed a god was real, wouldn't that be 'acknowledging' it? Forgive me for word-parsing.
Yes but only for me. (BTW god failed to appear last night )

If I wanted to share this, who would believe me sp. atheists here?

Christians probably would rejoice but be curious as to why he appeared to me and not them

As I mentioned, acknowledgement would be as far as I would go, he would have to smite me as I would tell IT what a dick IT is.

All of the "proof" xians have happens in the abstract, meditation, visions, dreams etc. IMO all of these are self induced or as a result of the power of suggestion.

The mere fact that god(s) are unable to physically manifest themselves in a 3D form that you can touch and see, tells me they do not exist. Burning bush and donkey possessions seems all that this god is capable of, include rocks for muslims (oops for jews and xians too, forgot about Horeb)

Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Okay. Given the fact that we exist, don't know how, and that a God is a possible explanation to our existence, then yes. The idea of a God has much more validity.
Figured. So much for "if you cant prove its impossible, you have to accept its possible," as it applies to everything else.

However, youre making some huge assumptions..

1. That god would be a possible reason for our exiatence.
2. That theres a gapping hole in our existence only a god could fill.

Its as if you believe scientists are just standing around "how did we get here?! We have nooo idea!"

Nevermind the further questions a god existing outside the universe would bring up...

1. How did he get here.
2. What is he exactly.
3. Are there more of him.
4. Whats outside the universe.

And blah blah blah - when you just say "i dont care about those...just that he exists" its quite a way to allow your want of a belief to overwhelm everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism