U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:05 PM

22,863 posts, read 10,747,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Well, we're off topic here, but I did want to post that, based on the latest information I've read, the whole concept of the limbic system is being questioned by the scientific community. The ideas and concepts you mentioned in previous posts have come under fire and are no longer widely accepted. At least, that's what I understand, but I'm no neurologist so I claim no extensive knowledge on the subject.
Here is a quote from a 2006 textbook that belies your assertion:

Swenson, Rand S. M.D., Ph.D.Review of Clinical and Functional Neuroscience; Chapter 9; 2006; Dartmouth Medical School

"One way in which the limbic system has been conceptualized is as the "feeling and reacting brain" that is interposed between the "thinking brain" and the output mechanisms of the nervous system. In this construct, the limbic system is usually under control of the "thinking brain" but obviously can react on its own. Additionally, the limbic system has its input and processing side (the limbic cortex, amygdala and hippocampus) and an output side (the septal nuclei and hypothalamus). "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,377,210 times
As I stated, I am no neurologist. I got my information from wiki, which some people view as insufficient. There is an article linked to their assertion. (Limbic system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I don't plan to continue this line of conversation as it is off topic, but I am interested in reading more about it. I also note that your source is five years old, which, in the world of neuroscience, is a bit out of date.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 PM

22,863 posts, read 10,747,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
As I stated, I am no neurologist. I got my information from wiki, which some people view as insufficient. There is an article linked to their assertion. (Limbic system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I don't plan to continue this line of conversation as it is off topic, but I am interested in reading more about it. I also note that your source is five years old, which, in the world of neuroscience, is a bit out of date.
Not for claims that it is no longer widely accepted. It is just a text I was familiar with. That Wiki article has warnings about its accurcay. It is not accurate.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 AM

110 posts, read 18,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Yeah, that's a really cool movie quote and all, but that doesn't make it true.

FYI, Lord of the Rings also has cool quotes, but they're all BS, too.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:55 PM

8,851 posts, read 6,897,295 times
I have no idea if there is a devil or not. All I can say is that I haven't seen evidence to convince me there is.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM

8,400 posts, read 5,647,917 times
I think the base nature of humans lends itself to having a scapegoat. Easier to blame a convenient "boogieman" than to confront the fact mankind does horrible things to other people and animals.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 PM

8,144 posts, read 3,828,086 times
that's right Djuna, the evil devil resides inside us, we are all capable of horrific things whether we admit it or not...those horrible serialkillers, etc,.. reside in each of us but we'd like to think it's not true ...we are not above any of it but most of us can stay in control of our emotions and actions. The devil is yet another creation to place blame, the devil made us do this and that so we can 'blame' god for the good and the devil for the bad..how convenient!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:43 AM

7,089 posts, read 8,228,219 times
Anyone who doesn't believe in the devil has never met my mother in law.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:41 AM

8,144 posts, read 3,828,086 times
Dusty Rhodes, she may be devilish but she's probably is no worse than many ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism