U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:29 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,094,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Of course. Who did you think I was talking to other than other atheists and the odd visiting or browsing theists, like yourself, old mate.
Just a heads up, Arq, that this is a zombie thread revived because there's now a sequel to the original video. You're replying to a remark of Mystic's from 18 or so months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
There is a sequel now. Not suitable for work, and may (definitely) contains strong language.
He really is sticking with the totally over the top ones. I wish he'd quote some more restrained ones if only so that he doesn't give "moderate fundamentalists" (I know, in a way, an oxymoron) so much cover to disassociate themselves from these TOTAL loonies. I can well imagine, say, Vizio, disavowing these letters as Not From Real Christians just on the basis of their "strong language" alone. Also, he spells way better than that. And so he would (with some actual justification) accuse Dawkins of cherry-picking extremist rants.

What "moderate fundamentalists" such as I once was never realize is that these kinds of uneducated, bigoted diatribes are the logical progression from the cloaked, deniable ignorance and bigotry that they openly profess. It is simply what they really believe, unmasked by virtue of being relieved of social restraint and the perception that exists when speaking from behind an email address, that they can remain anonymous and free of consequences -- apparently even from their god.

All that said, these letters he's reading are a classic example of TIFS (Total Internet F__kwad Syndrome), where ordinary person + anonymity + an audience = Total Internet F__kwad. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,541,015 times
Quote:
There is a sequel now. Not suitable for work, and may (definitely) contains strong language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW76...em-uploademail

"...the fart of God."

Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 PM

39,207 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Just a heads up, Arq, that this is a zombie thread revived because there's now a sequel to the original video. You're replying to a remark of Mystic's from 18 or so months ago.
I hardly ever check.

Watch the video. feel the Loourveeee.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-21-2015 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 11:40 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,541,015 times
Default And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love.

Quote:
I hardly ever check.

Watch the video. feel the Loourveeee.
"We will work with each other, we will work side by side, and we'll guard each man's dignity and save each man's pride, and they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love. Yes, they'll KNOOOOOooooow we are Christians by our loooooove..."

Old 01-23-2015, 04:01 AM

4,145 posts, read 5,112,236 times
The crazies always write the most amusing hate mail.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:19 AM

39,207 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The crazies always write the most amusing hate mail.
Yes. I was going to say that, regrettably crazies seem to make up 80% of America.

But then I reckoned that probably, while 80% are Christians or evolution - doubters or boths, only a small percentage are frothing crazies like that.

But then I note that so often the Creationists here start bashing us over the head with Dawkins. I have still not read anything by him. Creationism does seem to generate a sort of crazy-hate mentality.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 AM

6,869 posts, read 3,793,329 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW76...em-uploademail

Oh those Christian Fundamentalists are such a delightful bunch. I'm converted. Where do I sign up?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Yes. I was going to say that, regrettably crazies seem to make up 80% of America.

But then I reckoned that probably, while 80% are Christians or evolution - doubters or boths, only a small percentage are frothing crazies like that.

But then I note that so often the Creationists here start bashing us over the head with Dawkins. I have still not read anything by him. Creationism does seem to generate a sort of crazy-hate mentality.
If I had to venture a guess (biased, based only my own experience as a former "mild" fundamentalist from mid-central US, just outside the Bible Belt):

Most fundamentalists don't lay awake night fulminating about such things. In any given fundamentalist congregation (typically pretty small) you would be unlikely to find even one person who does.

Once in awhile one's pastor teaches the party line on creationism and evolution, and you accept it, based on that slanted presentation. You might have questions about it or have some minor run-in with someone who doesn't buy it who has good questions. You then go to a YEC web site where they appear to have a lot of Smart People with letters after their names (you don't notice that those letters might denote little more than having attained a bacheolor's degree in a STEM discipline; one of their major theories about how the flood could have happened was concocted by a mechanical engineer for instance) and you skim through it and it appears that Smart People have it thought out, are very confident of their "facts", and have everything well in hand. So you go back to your daily life, not giving it a thought in the world, smugly thinking to yourself that you're in league with a group of people that, thanks to the Holy Spirit and the Bible, are smarter than all those worldly, godless scientists.*

Very few of these people are going to write to someone like Dawkins and try to confront him. Most such people know that, whatever they think of Dawkin's (un)beliefs and attitude towards god, he IS a lettered scientist of some note and could eat them for lunch; they KNOW they are not qualified to attempt such a thing, even if they happen to think they're right. If only because Dawkins would be likely to cite disciplines and terms and research that they don't know or understand or are rather fuzzy on.

The ones who actually will write to Dawkins will for the most part be people with unrelated mental health issues that have simply found expression through religious ideation -- which is common. They are megalomaniacs, sociopaths and untreated bipolar types in a manic phase, things like that.

In this sense I don't fault him for confining himself to reading letters from crackpots, but he's famous enough that a sincere, relatively sane person here and there has surely attempted to set him straight, and I wish he'd salt his videos with a couple of those, too. The reason being that the typical pew-warmer I've described above, can easily disavow such crackpot babblings -- and should. They are not representative of mainstream fundamentalism (as much of a stretch as that phrase is to utter). But any argument they would make, while less entertaining and/or appalling, would be equally empty and unsupportable, and I think it makes an important point to juxtapose the occasional semi-reasonable person for exactly that reason.

* Or you read a book on apologetics and get the same baffle-me-with-BS stream-of-consciousness, or you have a conversation with your pastor who assures you very confidently that science is godless nonsense in this instance, etc.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,674,457 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism