Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, dosnt it annoy you that you will never be able to stand up and say " see, we told you there was no God and no afterlife! We were right and you were wrong" Dosnt it annoy you to know that if you are right, that you will never know for an absolute certainty because you will just be dead, you wont know anything or be able to think anything. Im not an atheist, but it annoys me to think that if there really is no God or afterlife, we wont be able to conciously think about that fact.

Why should it annoy me? I'm more than happy to tell you that we atheist are right, right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,265,486 times
Quote:
IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, dosnt it annoy you that you will never be able to stand up and say " see, we told you there was no God and no afterlife! We were right and you were wrong" Dosnt it annoy you to know that if you are right, that you will never know for an absolute certainty because you will just be dead, you wont know anything or be able to think anything. Im not an atheist, but it annoys me to think that if there really is no God or afterlife, we wont be able to conciously think about that fact.

Sorry, no. I grew out of the petulant need for vindication several decades ago.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I think this may be slightly off topic, but I must disagree.

I can say with 100% certainty that the god of the Abraham does not exist, and therefore, hell does not exist.
It is all part of a mythology that is so far fetched and contradictory that it can't possibly be real.

I can see a slim possibility of some other undefined deity.
I do not see it as being off topic. I see it as reiterating that to a non-believer the concept of heaven and hell is meaningless. Which is logical, if one does not believe in the existence of a supreme being.

I thank you for your input, but hope you will grant me the tolerance to accept that I believe to a theist, my comment makes sense, although some may disagree with it.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:57 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Those of us who believe in God(swt)sometimes make the error of assuming that a non-believer is troubled by not believing. I doubt if any atheist has any means or basis to relating to the original question. Not much over 100 years ago most of the world did not believe the platypus existed At that time there was no way to prove it did and many people thought it as a mythical creature. I doubt if those who did not believe it existed, were concerned and I suspect many atheists feel the same way about the existence of God(swt) they have no incentive or desire to be concerned about if they are right or wrong in their disbelief.

What I do find disturbing is that many of us who believe seem to relish the thought that one day we will get to taunt atheists who go to hell for not believing. That seems like a poor reason for us to believe and an overall juvenile attitude. We should be saddened over the thought that even one human goes to hell and while we are alive, be certain we have done our best to prove the existence of God(swt). Many of us in attempting to drag people into believing, actually chase them away from any desire to even consider the possibility.

As a final note not one of us, not you and not I, know who will go to hell. No matter how sinful we may see a person as being, we do not know what exists in their heart. Even the worse despot and debauchee we can imagine may be found worthy of forgiveness. At best we alone and only ourselves can decide if we want to follow God(swt). It is a hidden part of each of us shared only with God(swt).

The question is without meaning as it is of no importance to a believer and senseless to a non-believer.
Atheists don't go to hell. That's the point.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:46 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,884 times
Ha, I never even thought of that!

My thinking of my death goes like:

Probably lots of pain, intense fear and racing thoughts, then...lights out.

That's all I'm expecting, no more (although narcotics maybe), no less. Gloating would be the last thing on my mind. All you can do is make every moment here good and worthwhile. Cause more or less the previous paragraph is some version all of us will get..

Old 07-02-2011, 04:22 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
I couldn't possibly care less how I would feel if I were alive to know what is happening after I die.

I don't feel any need to wait around until my death to have great confidence in my atheistic beliefs. Just as I assume you're not waiting until you die to be sure that there is no Odin.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
The attitude displayed in the OP is semi-disturbing. I really don't have such a burning desire to be right that I wish I could gloat to all of the wrong people after death. When I die that's all, if I'm right well I'll never know it but oh well it won't really matter at that point will it?

Old 07-02-2011, 08:17 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
I agree. Obviously, being right and showing as much is important to both sides of the isle, Theists, Christians, Atheists, and Agnostics, or we wouldnt be here discussing the matter at all. The " I told you so " factor isnt really important to me at all really, but like old_cold, the prospect of never knowing for an absolute certainty is very dihappointing to me. I want to know for my own satisfaction. I do beleive in a God, but the prospect of rubbing it in anyones face does not excite me, I just want to know.
Yes. The 'annoyance' (such as it is) is more the instinctive drive to know what we don't know and find out what we don't have answers to. It is one of our better instincts, I consider. The annoyance comes when something that we know (if evidence counts for anything) is discounted on a collection of footling objections and illogical unreasoning, for example the claims of various cults and religions. It is annoying to have to explain the same things time and again when such time would be better spent elsewhere.

And yet we have to do it and swallow our annoyance and try to find what satisfaction we can in explaining over and again that there is no good historical evidence for the Gospel Jesus, nor for a Biblical flood, nor for a Genesis -style creation.

Being unable to know everything and have all the answers is nothing to get annoyed about as crying for the moon is childishly illogical. Growing up and using science and technology to at least get there is a better use of effort.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Why would I waste my time on this question?
Here's one for you, do you enjoy trolling in the Atheist/Agnostic folder?
What does that bring to your life?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:55 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
I don't even think about 'after death'...I try to enjoy my life and if people spent more time living, instead of thinking about what happens after death, they may enjoy life while it lasts ....and worrying about 'I told you so stuff' is a waste of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism