U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:18 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,305,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Agenda??? No. Rather, I might say that I am one of the few { very few } on here who dosnt claim to have it all figured out already and I am actually trying to learn things about other beleif systems { or whatever you want to refer to your beleifs or lack thereof as... } Do I always come off that way? No. Im sure IF I could go back and change the wording of the OP now, I could think of a better way to convey my question to you. Unfortunantly, I CANNOT go back and change it, so, I am stuck with what is there.
I think what you are trying to convey is a concept an atheist can not relate to. Being a believer in God(swt) your op makes sense to me. But, I do not know how you could rewrite it in a form that would be applicable to an atheist.

Perhaps, a fully different approach is needed. Such as simply asking the Question "Does an Atheist ever desire eternal life?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,168,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I think what you are trying to convey is a concept an atheist can not relate to. Being a believer in God(swt) your op makes sense to me. But, I do not know how you could rewrite it in a form that would be applicable to an atheist.

Perhaps, a fully different approach is needed. Such as simply asking the Question "Does an Atheist ever desire eternal life?"
That question has been asked in another thread. Sorry I can't find it to link to it.
Most of us atheists were not interested in eternal life for various reasons.
My personal feeling is life would not be of much value if the moments did not need to be savored.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:40 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,305,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
That question has been asked in another thread. Sorry I can't find it to link to it.
Most of us atheists were not interested in eternal life for various reasons.
My personal feeling is life would not be of much value if the moments did not need to be savored.
At one time in my life it was my dream that in the final moment of life I would look back and say "Man, that was one heck of a good ride, glad I got on it."

Later I decided the value of life was what I could learn from each minute. Today I see life has all been a prep school and I hope I make the grade to graduate.

I am assuming that most Atheists would relate best to my first sentence above. If I am correct, do Atheists ever wish they could get a ticket for a second ride?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,999,820 times
The common spaghetti that many of us enjoy is but a pale reflection of His Noodliness. And no, FSM (sbuh) is not offended by those who do not believe, being made of pure tasty love.

I remember asking my father, in his old age, whether or not he was sorry that he was not far from the end. He replied that he was certainly not, since he had lived in interesting times and gotten to hear a lot of great music (jazz and the big bands). I think that I will feel the same way. I think one 'ride' is enough.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:22 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,850,920 times
Quote:
I dont know, why would you? Why would you post if you had nothing to add to the discussion that relates to the OP???
Yeah, trolling in this folder bothers me, it's against the TOS.
The OP isn't worth discussion, but it is worth comment.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:16 AM

39,229 posts, read 10,905,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
At one time in my life it was my dream that in the final moment of life I would look back and say "Man, that was one heck of a good ride, glad I got on it."

Later I decided the value of life was what I could learn from each minute. Today I see life has all been a prep school and I hope I make the grade to graduate.

I am assuming that most Atheists would relate best to my first sentence above. If I am correct, do Atheists ever wish they could get a ticket for a second ride?
I imagine they do, but they are too aware be be fooled into signing up to some daft religion by being offered a ticket to the afterworld which might well be forged, since there are many other such tickets being printed in the market -place.

For all we know there isn't an afterworld despite all the claims about spirit messages, NED's and a transcendental elevator to the twelfth floor ("Samhadi salad bar, Krishna vegetarian restaurant, FSM (1) pizza hut, Tantric beer fountain and Zorroroast and carvery") of the various heavens. And if there is an afterlife no -one can be sure of what ticket is valid entry and in all probablility no ticket is required after death anymore than a ticket is required to be born.

So I conclude that atheism with a comfy watching brief on an afterlife if there is one and making the most of this life if there isn't (and without any fears or terrors of the childish and malicious hellfire threat) has the best of both worlds and - if you are going to take pascal's wager, I'd say that atheism is a pretty good bet.

So, annoying and irritating - in fact I'd use the term teasing and titillating - as it might be that we still don't really know about an afterlife, for me at least it is nothing to worry about, and attempts to use the concept to swindle me into theism (remember the guy who sold the golden gate bridge? It wasn't his to sell) just makes me smile.

(1) since according to theist philosophy, if it possible to imagine it, it must exist.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-04-2011 at 04:26 AM..

Old 07-04-2011, 07:58 AM

13,900 posts, read 10,800,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, trolling in this folder bothers me, it's against the TOS.
The OP isn't worth discussion, but it is worth comment.
Wow, you would think someone so familiar with the TOS would know that calling someone a troll violates them............

Old 07-04-2011, 10:32 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,055,492 times
Quote:
I dont know, why would you? Why would you post if you had nothing to add to the discussion that relates to the OP???
Ya know, you started this, if you don't want to read what atheists' have to say, don't ask baiting questions! Most of us equally disbelieve in both your fictional gods and your bizarre afterlife notions.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,055,492 times
Quote:
Wow, you would think someone so familiar with the TOS would know that calling someone a troll violates them............
Uh, not if it is the truth!

Old 07-04-2011, 06:11 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,066,250 times
If you really want to get to the heart of Atheists you need to dig deeper. There's a rift currently going on within the FSM worshipers that is dividing them. It's no different than the other major religions that have splintered into a huge variety of sects.
The original thought was that the FSM (sauce be upon him) was composed of spaghetti (round rod pasta), then came the capelli d'angelo faction (angel hair) followed by the Bucatini and Perciatelli believers. And then of course Fusilli Bucati, Barbina and Vermacilli and a whole host of other pastas'. Heck, I even hear that some folks think it's just elbow macaroni. There's a war brewing for sure, although no one will be killed, just make sure you grab your knife, fork, linen towel and a bottle of Chianti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism