U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:26 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,212,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, dosnt it annoy you that you will never be able to stand up and say " see, we told you there was no God and no afterlife! We were right and you were wrong" Dosnt it annoy you to know that if you are right, that you will never know for an absolute certainty because you will just be dead, you wont know anything or be able to think anything. Im not an atheist, but it annoys me to think that if there really is no God or afterlife, we wont be able to conciously think about that fact.
This kinda demonstrates the childish though process of a hardcore believer. They see the whole thing in terms of "us vs them", where in reality the good atheists just want to be able live life free of silly distraction and see the human race ultimately evolve into something better. It isn't about them personally, and it ISN'T a contest of who's right and wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:32 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,212,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
If you really want to get to the heart of Atheists you need to dig deeper. There's a rift currently going on within the FSM worshipers that is dividing them. It's no different than the other major religions that have splintered into a huge variety of sects.
The original thought was that the FSM (sauce be upon him) was composed of spaghetti (round rod pasta), then came the capelli d'angelo faction (angel hair) followed by the Bucatini and Perciatelli believers. And then of course Fusilli Bucati, Barbina and Vermacilli and a whole host of other pastas'. Heck, I even hear that some folks think it's just elbow macaroni. There's a war brewing for sure, although no one will be killed, just make sure you grab your knife, fork, linen towel and a bottle of Chianti.
They are all wrong. True noodly righteousness is found among the most humble store brand noodles and almost-expired 1/2 off Prego sauce with humble ground beef and cheese.

Stop trying to the bring the Italy into the argument; they strayed from the true pasta path long ago, (as Italy has with most things in life) when they decided to get "fancy and artsy" with their noodles.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,285,422 times
Quote:
IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, dosnt it annoy you that you will never be able to stand up and say " see, we told you there was no God and no afterlife! We were right and you were wrong"
I think you will find most people who call themselves atheist are interested in what IS true, not in some "I was right and you were wrong" pissing contest.

There are those on both sides, atheist and theist, who are more interested in strutting their stuff and making themselves feel good about themselves by thinking they are right and lording that over those they think are wrong.

But most of us are passionately interested in trying to find out what is true, not in lording that in some self masturbatory way over others.

And yes many of the questions we have we may never answer, or see if we were right or not... but that does not take away from the attempt. There is a phrase I hear often "The journey IS the destination" and the quest for truth is one such example of this.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:11 AM

39,207 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I think you will find most people who call themselves atheist are interested in what IS true, not in some "I was right and you were wrong" pissing contest.

There are those on both sides, atheist and theist, who are more interested in strutting their stuff and making themselves feel good about themselves by thinking they are right and lording that over those they think are wrong.

But most of us are passionately interested in trying to find out what is true, not in lording that in some self masturbatory way over others.

And yes many of the questions we have we may never answer, or see if we were right or not... but that does not take away from the attempt. There is a phrase I hear often "The journey IS the destination" and the quest for truth is one such example of this.
Can't rep you but Hallelujiah! Preach, brother.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,412,783 times
Quote:
IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, dosnt it annoy you that you will never be able to stand up and say " see, we told you there was no God and no afterlife! We were right and you were wrong" Dosnt it annoy you to know that if you are right, that you will never know for an absolute certainty because you will just be dead, you wont know anything or be able to think anything. Im not an atheist, but it annoys me to think that if there really is no God or afterlife, we wont be able to conciously think about that fact.
No.

It also doesn't annoy me that I can't get to the end of a rainbow, thereby providing myself with the opportunity to proclaim "See? I told you there was no pot of gold here!".

Old 07-05-2011, 07:51 AM

17,853 posts, read 12,233,502 times
Quote:
Nope. That sounds kind of petty.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:59 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,601,530 times
Quote:

When I found out that Santa was a big cover up story, it didn't ruin Christmas for me.

The whole 'god' and 'afterlife' thing is kinda the same thing. It doesn't matter.
I'm still going to enjoy Christmas as a time to be with family, regardless of Santa being a joke.
I'm still going to enjoy life, regardless of being in the dirt when I'm dead.

The only difference is I'm not gonna spend my life worrying about what if there is an afterlife, because if there's not one.. I won't know, so I spent my life worrying for nothing.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,981 times
Quote:
We aren't four, so no.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:52 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,451,091 times
Quote:
I dont mean after your dead, I mean dont it annoy you now to think about it while you are alive. That was the wholepoint in the OP, you wont be able to think about it once your dead.
I'm too busy thinking about life....why would I waste time thinking about what's gonna happen when I'm dead....and why would I care.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,796,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
This kinda demonstrates the childish though process of a hardcore believer. They see the whole thing in terms of "us vs them", where in reality the good atheists just want to be able live life free of silly distraction and see the human race ultimately evolve into something better. It isn't about them personally, and it ISN'T a contest of who's right and wrong.
Hardcore beleiver?????? . . . . . . ok, its obvious you have no clue as to what or who you are speaking about.

Quote:
quote=Dusty Rhodes;19870891]Ya know, you started this, if you don't want to read what atheists' have to say, don't ask baiting questions! Most of us equally disbelieve in both your fictional gods and your bizarre afterlife notions.
[/quote]
Its not a baited question. Could the delivery have been better? Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism