U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, dosnt it annoy you that you will never be able to stand up and say " see, we told you there was no God and no afterlife! We were right and you were wrong" Dosnt it annoy you to know that if you are right, that you will never know for an absolute certainty because you will just be dead, you wont know anything or be able to think anything. Im not an atheist, but it annoys me to think that if there really is no God or afterlife, we wont be able to conciously think about that fact.
I'm an atheist and I can say that I couldn't care less. I'm on earth living my life and going about my business. After I die it's really not my problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 05:14 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,798,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

We all write posts which in hindsight could have been better worded. Atheism at least should give the offender a second chance so I don't see why you shouldn't re - present your question worded to say what you really intended to say.
Yes I could but that would be running the risk of being infracted for double posting. Not to mention I would be ridiculed even more harshly on the fact that im a "troll" or some other ridiculous notion.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 PM

39,211 posts, read 10,895,806 times
I'd suggest that the Mods are smart enough to tell a reappraisal of a position from a double post and that a post which didn't even look like like trolling would not be denounced as such. I'm sure a reasonable question would get a reasonable answer, even if it tended to give the atheists something to think about.

Let's suggests something.

Quote:
IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, doesn't it annoy you that you will never be able to stand up and say " see, we told you there was no God and no afterlife! We were right and you were wrong" Doesn't it annoy you to know that if you are right, that you will never know for an absolute certainty because you will just be dead, you wont know anything or be able to think anything. Im not an atheist, but it annoys me to think that if there really is no God or afterlife, we wont be able to consciously think about that fact.
represented as - IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, doesn't it bother you that you won't be around after death to know whether you were right or not? For me, I'd be bothered at the thought that there won't be an afterlife where I can know the facts.

It is, as I'd said, aimed at making us feel we're missing out somehow by not subscribing to an afterlife, but that pretty much goes with the territory.

And as I have said elsewhere, if there is an afterlife, we all get it and it is not within the remit of any deity to give or withhold it. Therefore if there isn't one, I haven't lost anything. If there is one, I haven't lost that either and I don't need to be bothered by the thought that I might be missing out on it by not worshipping the right god.

Dictum is, if your are going to take Pascal's wager, atheism is the best bet.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-06-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,847,271 times
I find it funny that the OP attributes the pettiness of the "believers" with atheists.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:57 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,324,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I find it funny that the OP attributes the pettiness of the "believers" with atheists.
Well said.

Everyone has already said what I want to but I will add;

Who give a rats behind?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:19 AM

20 posts, read 185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, dosnt it annoy you that you will never be able to stand up and say " see, we told you there was no God and no afterlife! We were right and you were wrong" Dosnt it annoy you to know that if you are right, that you will never know for an absolute certainty because you will just be dead, you wont know anything or be able to think anything. Im not an atheist, but it annoys me to think that if there really is no God or afterlife, we wont be able to conciously think about that fact.
I try not to be that trite. I hope there is an afterlife. I just don't see any good reason to believe there is. It certainly does bother me to think that after I die that will be it for me, there will never be anything more experienced by me. Someone said that philosophy is learning how to die. I think he meant (and I think it was a he) that it's coming to terms with the nothingness that will enfold your consciousness and rip it from the world. Not a pretty thought.

Bertie

Old 07-07-2011, 06:30 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,286,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster1 View Post
I try not to be that trite. I hope there is an afterlife. I just don't see any good reason to believe there is.
This would be one area in which we differ. I certainly have no wish for an afterlife... at least not an eternal one. Nothing about the concept attracts me in any way. So not only do I not see any evidence that there is such a thing... I am also quite relieved at the fact.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,743,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
This would be one area in which we differ. I certainly have no wish for an afterlife... at least not an eternal one. Nothing about the concept attracts me in any way. So not only do I not see any evidence that there is such a thing... I am also quite relieved at the fact.
I agree, the thought of living endlessly is just too much, give me some rest for goodness sake.

Unless of course we somehow turn into an amazingly interesting alien life form that has incredibly fascinating adventures...then it might be fun.

But the thought of playing harps at god's feet is just depressingly boring. I have no idea why christians would find this eternal life pleasant.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:51 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,286,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I agree, the thought of living endlessly is just too much, give me some rest for goodness sake.
Haha. Yes. That is certainly one of the reasons. But I have many. One random one is I think the idea of an eternal next life cheapens the value of the one we have now.

Think of all the people who "gave" their life for a cause, for love, or for an ideal. What worth has their sacrifice really if their have an eternal life coming next? Gold would not be precious if we all have endless amounts of it would it?

This is why I do not understand the appeal of the Christ Myth. They say god "Gave" its only son but it did no such thing. It LENT us its only son. The 30+ years the alleged preacher had on this planet is insignificant compared to the eternity he is now said to have. So where or what was the sacrifice?

Had the myth claimed that the son in some way cut off his possibility for eternal life, despite the wonders that were promised him, and THEN "gave" his life for us.... now that would have been a sacrifice worth writing a book around. As it stands now the story is about a long haired hippie who shuffled off the mortal coil perfectly safe in the knowledge he was gonna be juuuuuust fine. I see no sacrifice in that. It is actually quite insulting that he would do so and expect us to be impressed by it.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 AM

3,682 posts, read 4,943,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post

Unless of course we somehow turn into an amazingly interesting alien life form that has incredibly fascinating adventures...then it might be fun.

But the thought of playing harps at god's feet is just depressingly boring. I have no idea why christians would find this eternal life pleasant.

i would strongly advise you to use quotations when using the words "eternal life" dreamed of by christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism