U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:35 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,800,580 times

Advertisements

IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, dosnt it annoy you that you will never be able to stand up and say " see, we told you there was no God and no afterlife! We were right and you were wrong" Dosnt it annoy you to know that if you are right, that you will never know for an absolute certainty because you will just be dead, you wont know anything or be able to think anything. Im not an atheist, but it annoys me to think that if there really is no God or afterlife, we wont be able to conciously think about that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 08:55 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,194,442 times
I won't really be alive to think about it so I guess it won't bother me all that much.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 PM

766 posts, read 1,160,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I won't really be alive to think about it so I guess it won't bother me all that much.
Yeah... what he said. It really seems like a "no brainer", don't ya think?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,800,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I dont mean after your dead, I mean dont it annoy you now to think about it while you are alive. That was the wholepoint in the OP, you wont be able to think about it once your dead.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,168,015 times
No, I don't really care. I am not that invested in being right.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,500,994 times
There are much bigger things in life than being able to say, "Nanner nanner nanner...I was right and you were wrong".

If we are right, we will no longer be existing. That is a sobering thought that really makes winning petty arguments embarrassingly shallow. Big deal, they were wrong; we will all be dead. I recognize that fact while I am alive, so no it doesn't bother me that if we are right, none of us will ever know it.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 PM

30,709 posts, read 33,519,076 times
Quote:
We are right and you are wrong
I say it now so I don't have to wait until I'm dead. But I understand the appeal of that kind of thing by the afterlife crowd. Whatever they can't deal with now get's pushed until after death...then they will show you! They will show you all!! haha.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,381,013 times
I think it would be quite interesting if there really is a God. I don't mind the thought of being wrong. I've been known to be wrong before. And if I'm right, I don't feel any need to gloat about it to believers. If they leave me alone, I leave them alone.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:17 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,055,492 times
This must be an annoying thought for the Atheists

Not really, as a practicing and devout Atheist, I am not nearly so fond of the "I told you so's", as are the christians. It is more along the lines of the religious Moderator cut: deleted to think like this.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-05-2011 at 10:18 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,305,624 times
Those of us who believe in God(swt)sometimes make the error of assuming that a non-believer is troubled by not believing. I doubt if any atheist has any means or basis to relating to the original question. Not much over 100 years ago most of the world did not believe the platypus existed At that time there was no way to prove it did and many people thought it as a mythical creature. I doubt if those who did not believe it existed, were concerned and I suspect many atheists feel the same way about the existence of God(swt) they have no incentive or desire to be concerned about if they are right or wrong in their disbelief.

What I do find disturbing is that many of us who believe seem to relish the thought that one day we will get to taunt atheists who go to hell for not believing. That seems like a poor reason for us to believe and an overall juvenile attitude. We should be saddened over the thought that even one human goes to hell and while we are alive, be certain we have done our best to prove the existence of God(swt). Many of us in attempting to drag people into believing, actually chase them away from any desire to even consider the possibility.

As a final note not one of us, not you and not I, know who will go to hell. No matter how sinful we may see a person as being, we do not know what exists in their heart. Even the worse despot and debauchee we can imagine may be found worthy of forgiveness. At best we alone and only ourselves can decide if we want to follow God(swt). It is a hidden part of each of us shared only with God(swt).

The question is without meaning as it is of no importance to a believer and senseless to a non-believer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism