U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 AM

3,682 posts, read 4,942,236 times

Advertisements

I'm reading The Testament by John Grisham.......it's too much about god/jesus/praying (especially from a smart writer like grisham) but the story is interesting enough for me to ignore that stuff.....
on the final few chapters......i'm getting to the interesting parts :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,097,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June's started working her way through Dostoevsky, once again. "Notes From Underground," "Crime and Punishment" and then on to "The Brothers Karamozov."
All on my to-read list.

I'm listening to The Diary of Anne Frank during commutes, and I'm reading Comedy in a Minor Key by Hans Keilson, the Dutch writer. The latter is a novella about a Dutch couple that hides a Jewish man during the Nazi occupation, but the man dies and they have to figure out how to get rid of the body without getting caught. I didn't mean to have two WWII books going at once - just worked out that way.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:42 PM

1,004 posts, read 523,363 times
Hey guys, OP here. Glad to see everyone providing input. I've been traveling a bit and while doing so I picked up a pretty good read by Jack Huberman titled "The Quotable Atheist". I'd recommend it as its a compilation of quotes and theories from various influential free-thinkers, skeptics, scientist and philosophers. Many of which you'd never assume were non-believers.

Also reading/researching Göbekli Tepe...possibly so ancient that's its being considered "the first complicated structures built buy human civilization". Also, the hieroglyphics depict animals that are not/were not considered natural to that habitat. Really intriguing find.

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 07-19-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,097,610 times
I'm so glad you started this thread, moddestmike. I was previously posting in the book forum, but I usually hate the books folks over there recommend. I don't know why.

I started Prison Journals of a Priest Revolutionary by Phillip Berrigan written in the late '60's, which is about a priest who protested against the Vietnam War and for civil rights. He hated that apathy of the Church and Christians and took a stand. I usually don't read books about Christians (anymore), but this one is interesting. I have to respect anyone willing to go to jail or worse for their convictions.

Today I also started The Chosen People: A Controversial History of the Jews by John M. Allegro published in the early '70's. I have read Bart Ehrman and other skeptic Christian scholars, but I am completely unfamiliar with their Jewish scholar counterparts. I'm still reading the Intro right now, but I think it's going to be quite enlightening!

Old 07-26-2011, 12:36 AM

30,892 posts, read 31,793,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I'm reading The Testament by John Grisham.......it's too much about god/jesus/praying (especially from a smart writer like grisham) but the story is interesting enough for me to ignore that stuff.....
on the final few chapters......i'm getting to the interesting parts :-)
I have two Grisham novels I have yet to read...The Testament and The Brethren, that are next on my reading list...One of my favorite authors is Ken Follett, but he needs to get bust and write me a new novel.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 AM

30,892 posts, read 31,793,503 times
A tip for anyone that enjoys laughing while reading...Try Carl Hiaasen... Light reading, but very entertaining... Carl Hiaasen's Official Web Site - Home

Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,996,789 times
I am now reading Neptune's Inferno: The U.S.Navy at Guadalcanal. It isn't at all funny or light.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 AM

467 posts, read 1,041,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBeavs View Post
Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk.
Have you read Survivor by Palahniuk? I couldn't put it down. Marathon read that book. Wow.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:32 AM

467 posts, read 1,041,098 times
I'm currently reading Welcome To The Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 AM

457 posts, read 1,396,033 times
Recently finished The End of Faith and about to start The Moral Landscape both by Sam Harris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism