U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:40 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,841,505 times

Advertisements

iPods for Dummies.
I just got a iTouch. Holy Moley, what a very cool toy.

And Lonely Planet France.
I'm off to Strasbourg for the weekend.
I'm always reading some European travel book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 04:28 AM

19,837 posts, read 19,927,191 times
"Have a Little Faith"(Mitch Albom...."Tuesdays with Morrie")
A pleasant little book,nice break to take occassionally.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:21 AM

39,202 posts, read 10,880,280 times
The Byzantine empire, 1025 - 1204. While I'd long since seen Byzantium of a continuation of 'Rome' after it had pretty much been overrun by the Goths and Vandals in Italy, It was interesting to see how the Roman aspect persisted or how it changed to follow the medieval culture (or indeed influenced it) after the Normans and the first crusade.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:07 AM

1,004 posts, read 523,247 times
So, I've just enrolled in another semester of college of which two of my classes are Beginning German and Philosophy of Logic. I've already began the required readings being that they are surprisingly delightful.

As far as extracurricular, picked up a compilation of Nietzsche compositions and have found myself drawn to his concept of the Superman (not in superhuman sense).

Picked up Richard Dawkins "The Greatest Show on Earth" and Niel Shubin's "Your Inner Fish", both great reads if you're into Evolutionary Biology.

For work I'm reading an industry certification book on Virtualization and VDI deployment. My plate's quite full for a few months.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 AM

1,004 posts, read 523,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Finally finished up Dawkins' God Delusion, excellent book, he has got to be one of the most intelligent people on the planet, workin on Hitchens' God Is Not Great now, another great book by a very intelligent and eloquent author. Too bad there are so many people that, through their own ignorance and silly hang-ups, blind themselves to such great works.
Just finished Hitchens "God is Not Great".....Hitchen's knowledge of historical fact and religious history is envious. He is by far the most influential person in my life......of course I do not worship him, yet aspire to maintain knowledge and articulate it as he does. You may want to pick up Sam Harri's "The End of Faith" also.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,096,672 times
I'm curious if anyone has read a fiction book in which the main character or any character loses their religious faith. I have never run across this and was wondering if it's out there. Somewhere.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,915,965 times
I haven't read this, but it might be what you are looking for.

Amazon.com: Born Again (9780156031455): Kelly Kerney: Books

Quote:
What happens when a Bible Quiz Champion takes on Darwin? Mel, a faith-filled Pentecostal, has the chance to escape Slow Rapids, Indiana, by attending academic summer camp. The only catch? She has to read forbidden tomes like The Origin of Species . So she forges the permission slip, promising God she’ll bring him a lost soul in exchange.

Mel conscientiously uses her Biblical expertise to argue Darwin’s theories, but meanwhile begins to realize that her parents, her pastor, and her church aren’t what she thought. She zealously battles demons every day—lascivious heathens at school, the Frederick’s of Hollywood catalog, her backsliding brother and sister. But now, suddenly, she must also conquer the doubts of her own heart.
Some others are mentioned in the reviews. Oranges are not only Fruit by Jeanette Winterton and The Romance Reader by Pearl Adams.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM

63 posts, read 70,515 times
im reading an biography called Tormented Genius, the struggles of Vincent van Gogh. (really good book)

Old 01-13-2012, 07:58 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,915,965 times
I am reading Abusing Science: The Case Against Creationism by Philip Kitcher

It's really excellent.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,992,248 times
Just about to finish God, No! by Penn Jillette of Penn & Teller. Rated NC-17 but hilarious and thoughtful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism