U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:18 AM

10,328 posts, read 11,263,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
When Christians ask you to pray, just agree then say a prayer to the Earth Mother, the sun, or some other pagan non-Christian deity. You can find some good ones online.

I guarantee they won't ask you to pray again.
Who knows what they'll do? I can tell you, though, that if you think an atheist believes in the Earth Mother or some other pagan, non-Christian deity then you don't understand atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 11:11 AM

16,148 posts, read 17,966,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Who knows what they'll do? I can tell you, though, that if you think an atheist believes in the Earth Mother or some other pagan, non-Christian deity then you don't understand atheism.
LOL. I don't think he was suggesting that atheists believe in these, but that it would get the religious nuts to go crazy.

You could always say one of these:

Flying spaghetti monster prayer? - Yahoo! Answers

Quote:
Our saucer which art in a colander, draining be Your noodles. Thy noodle come, Thy meatballness be done on earth, as it is meaty in heaven. Give us this day our daily sauce, and forgive us our lack of piracy, as we pirate and smuggle against those who lack piracy with us. And lead us not into vegetarianism, but deliver us from non-red meat sauce. For thine is the colander, the noodle, and the sauce, forever and ever. Ramen.
More here:
Flying Spaghetti Monster - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia

Old 07-16-2011, 11:12 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,888,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Who knows what they'll do?
Well I do, actually.

Quote:
I can tell you, though, that if you think an atheist believes in the Earth Mother or some other pagan, non-Christian deity then you don't understand atheism.
Uhhm I understand atheism just fine, thanks. I didn't say one had to believe in them - just say the prayer.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:12 AM

16,148 posts, read 17,966,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I don't usually spend much time in this forum because honestly I do not know much about religion nor do I have a specific label for myself. I am pretty sure there isn't a god. I have nothing against anyone that attends church and most of my friends are spiritual. So my question is, how do you politely deal with when people ask you to pray for them or a loved one? Recently quite a few of my friends are dealing the stress of family illnesses. I care about my friends but do not feel comfortable saying, "yes, I will pray for you and your family." I usually get around it by saying things like, "My thoughts are with you and your family" Or "Sending best wishes your way." Both responses feel like I am trying to avoid or does not seem very heart felt because I know they want to hear that I will pray for them. I guess I could lie but that seems silly as well.

So just curious what others would do in these situations?
In general, I do what you do, but I am rarely asked to pray in real life situations. Message boards where my online friends ask for prayers accept that I am thinking of them and sending good vibes.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:30 PM

16,300 posts, read 25,011,728 times
Quote:
Uhhm I understand atheism just fine, thanks. I didn't say one had to believe in them - just say the prayer.
No, obviously you don't know anything about atheism or you would not make such a stupid comment. That is the type of stupidity that atheists reject in total I don't talk to imaginary friends that don't exist, and I dismiss as insanity.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:57 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,068,814 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I have a higher price tag for such a travesty. They'd have to teach legitimate science (including evolution), legitimate U.S. and world history, rational thinking and the true history of The Bible and Christianity.
Hobbit......I do like the way you think, thanks!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:35 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,888,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No, obviously you don't know anything about atheism or you would not make such a stupid comment. That is the type of stupidity that atheists reject in total I don't talk to imaginary friends that don't exist, and I dismiss as insanity.
Nope I understand atheism perfectly fine, shytewit
OTOH, satire, humor and irony (and using them to teach Christians a lesson) are obviously things YOU do not understand.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,068,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think you handle it very well. It's what I do, so it must be right. Seriously, though, it's about the best one can do.
Agreed, I normally tell them that "I will keep them in my thoughts"

Old 07-20-2011, 01:41 AM

11,798 posts, read 22,023,298 times
That is what I usually say as well!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:51 AM

10,328 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Nope I understand atheism perfectly fine, shytewit
OTOH, satire, humor and irony (and using them to teach Christians a lesson) are obviously things YOU do not understand.
If you think that going off on your own and pretending to talk to an imaginary being, albeit not the imaginary being the Christian wants you to pretend to talk to, you're a little confused.

If you're just going to tell the Christian that you're going to pray to Odin, Apollo, or whoever just because you think it will teach them a lesson you're more than a little cruel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism