U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:00 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,196,290 times

Advertisements

I don't usually spend much time in this forum because honestly I do not know much about religion nor do I have a specific label for myself. I am pretty sure there isn't a god. I have nothing against anyone that attends church and most of my friends are spiritual. So my question is, how do you politely deal with when people ask you to pray for them or a loved one? Recently quite a few of my friends are dealing the stress of family illnesses. I care about my friends but do not feel comfortable saying, "yes, I will pray for you and your family." I usually get around it by saying things like, "My thoughts are with you and your family" Or "Sending best wishes your way." Both responses feel like I am trying to avoid or does not seem very heart felt because I know they want to hear that I will pray for them. I guess I could lie but that seems silly as well.

So just curious what others would do in these situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,984,404 times
I think you handle it very well. It's what I do, so it must be right. Seriously, though, it's about the best one can do.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:05 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,095,324 times
I say the same things you did. If they are especially close to me, I'll say "sending you my love" or something like that (maybe that only works for ladies ).

Old 07-13-2011, 04:08 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,082,265 times
You're doing basically the same thing as them...both thinking about it But yeah I think you've handled it perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong saying your thoughts are with them.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:09 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,689,396 times
One time this family called their pastor in, they formed a circle in the room, and they prayed over my hands before I performed a routine lumbar puncture. I am not christian (and christianity tends to offend me), but I just let 'em do whatever. There was some seriously high drama in that room...didn't think to add to it with any unreasonable histrionics of my own.

Similarly, my friend used to pray before all our meals...again, it irritated me at first, but then I got to expect it and it was kind of pleasant. Like a little ritual of thanks. I can get behind that.

Normally what do I do? Just sit there quietly and wait till people are done.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:07 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,196,290 times
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. No one has pushed it, just more or less expect it because it is a common thing to do for them or in their circle. I just feel a little awkward about it. One thing that I have noticed is people seem to have become more religious in the past 5 or 6 yrs. Maybe its the economy or people getting older but 10 yrs ago I just didnt seem to be in this position like now.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:24 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,504,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I don't usually spend much time in this forum because honestly I do not know much about religion nor do I have a specific label for myself. I am pretty sure there isn't a god. I have nothing against anyone that attends church and most of my friends are spiritual. So my question is, how do you politely deal with when people ask you to pray for them or a loved one? Recently quite a few of my friends are dealing the stress of family illnesses. I care about my friends but do not feel comfortable saying, "yes, I will pray for you and your family." I usually get around it by saying things like, "My thoughts are with you and your family" Or "Sending best wishes your way." Both responses feel like I am trying to avoid or does not seem very heart felt because I know they want to hear that I will pray for them. I guess I could lie but that seems silly as well.

I do exactly the same as you most of the time- I tell them they will be/are in my thoughts and that I'm hoping for the best for them.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,789,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

It sounds to me like your doing the right thing. I dont believe in prayer either, and if I'm asked to pray, I usually just nod my head as if to say i will without actually saying that I will and they go on there way

Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,966,937 times
I have actually told a friend with a really sick child that I would rather do something useful to help. Knowing they had to go do Duke University Hospital (200 miles away) I volunteered to take care of their dog, and look after their house while they were in Durham.

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.
I know it doesn't play well with those that practice self delusion, but none the less, it is a fact.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,789,719 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.
Very true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism