Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 01:32 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

https://www.closertotruth.com/series...xoCF6wQAvD_BwE

Interesting interview of a person in the field of science who talks about the benefits of getting rid of religion:
Free us to talk more about morality and ethics.
Focus on personal and social "happiness".
Focus on compassion instead of rule books.

Interesting perspective that believing in god is a way people make themselves feel important.

And! The video is only about 9 minutes long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 01:45 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Interesting interview of a person in the field of science who talks about the benefits of getting rid of religion:

Interesting perspective that believing in god is a way people make themselves feel important.

Can a person be defined as an ‘atheist’ if they believe in things like an afterlife, reincarnation, psychic powers and other things beyond the material, and therefore outside the purview of natural science?

Old 06-02-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Can a person be defined as an ‘atheist’ if they believe in things like an afterlife, reincarnation, psychic powers and other things beyond the material, and therefore outside the purview of natural science?
You asked for my religious philosophy a couple of days ago and then totally ignored it.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
there is no doubt that engineering a truth requires thinking about things as they are and how the conditions may change.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
You asked for my religious philosophy a couple of days ago and then totally ignored it.
Could you send please just answer the question? How can you identify as an atheist while holding the beliefs you do?

Old 06-02-2020, 01:57 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Could you send please just answer the question? How can you identify as an atheist while holding the beliefs you do?
one only has to not believe in a deity. atheism has a wide range of beliefs and personality types expressing many beliefs in many things.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
one only has to not believe in a deity. atheism has a wide range of beliefs and personality types expressing many beliefs in many things.
Yes, I agree with that.

Things beyond the life we know do not have to center around a god.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, I agree with that.

Things beyond the life we know do not have to center around a god.
I didn’t refer to any deities. Why did you bring God into this?
I asked about your beliefs in non-material things that are outside the purview of natural science. Are you saying that belief in things like reincarnation and psychic powers are compatible with atheism? Many atheists would say that’s not true atheism.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I didn’t refer to any deities. Why did you bring God into this?
I asked about your beliefs in non-material things that are outside the purview of natural science. Are you saying that belief in things like reincarnation and psychic powers are compatible with atheism? Many atheists would say that’s not true atheism.
I don't care what you say.
I don't care what "many atheists" say.
I'm an independent human being, unlike you.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:15 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:

And once they figure it all out they’ll write it down in a book and so on and so forth.
Years later, people will reject or rebel against that book and whatever non-belief system it prescribes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism