U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:27 PM

164 posts, read 732,288 times

Advertisements

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun"

-Billy Joel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 01:17 AM

4,464 posts, read 10,003,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisweetheart View Post
What made you want to become a non-believer?
It was never a question of want, I've never been anything else than an atheist, I didn't change into it from something else, it's what I've always been.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:51 AM

39,198 posts, read 10,872,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe you should become a Muslim and go for those 72 virgins
Better be an atheist and go for the lot, here and now.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:59 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,116,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
most of us wish there was some form of heaven, infinite life, where we could re-unite with family and friends, etc.
I think you are correct that most people wish for what you said. That is why religions were invented.

However, some of us do not have that wish. I am very willing to enjoy my wonderful life and cherish my loving family every day, and the fact that it will someday be gone does not bother me.

I often look at pictures of my great-grandparents and think how amazed they would have been to see our beautiful grand-children. I like to think a descendent of mine will someday look at my picture and be thankful I was alive and was a good parent. That's good enough for me.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM

455 posts, read 554,014 times
I understand that, I recently read a study regarding the "God Gene", it compares a childs innate attraction to its mother to our search for a "God" as an extension of that biological trait.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:34 PM

15 posts, read 13,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think you are correct that most people wish for what you said. That is why religions were invented.
I think you are over simplifying things. Religion goes back at least ten-thousand years and even Chimpanzees and Elephants have some behaviors that seem proto-religious. Religions probably were not invented, but rather evolved as part of our behavior. Children as young as two years old are dualists (that is they believe the mind and the body are separate things, which is of course not the case). So it's very likely that we are born with the prerequisite beliefs that become religion. Dualism is required for an afterlife and any sort of afterlife is inherently religious. Why religion is beneficial is still beyond me, but I'm sure someone will think of something eventually.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,975,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaCrates View Post
I think you are over simplifying things. Religion goes back at least ten-thousand years and even Chimpanzees and Elephants have some behaviors that seem proto-religious. Religions probably were not invented, but rather evolved as part of our behavior. Children as young as two years old are dualists (that is they believe the mind and the body are separate things, which is of course not the case). So it's very likely that we are born with the prerequisite beliefs that become religion. Dualism is required for an afterlife and any sort of afterlife is inherently religious. Why religion is beneficial is still beyond me, but I'm sure someone will think of something eventually.
Invented or evolved isn't the issue, but what was the impetus? Fear, fear of everything man did not yet understand, which was about everything.

Why did the sun come up and travel across the sky? What if it doesn't come back tomorrow {{{{fear}}}}} Something must control it, so lets praise 'it' so it will bring the sun back tomorrow. Thus the concept of an imaginary thing, and rituals to appease this thing was either invented, or evolved.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:25 PM

15 posts, read 13,623 times
I don't like the label atheist, but I will answer as I don't believe in God (in fact, I'm what most would refer to as a Gnostic Atheist as I know that God by his many definitions in religion is not real; you can always make up some definition that I'm not sure isn't real or that I am sure is real but disagree with the definition like God is love, but that is besides the point). I was raised Christian despite my parents both never even considering the question. My friends were Christians and I went to church with them. When I was nine, I didn't like going to church anymore and didn't. By the time I was eleven I figured that religion was all nonsense. I didn't think much about it until I got into philosophy and that solidified my view that religion holds no merits. There was never a real why.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:04 PM

454 posts, read 528,059 times
Interesting so why don't you guys want to believe in anything?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:10 PM

10,946 posts, read 8,261,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisweetheart View Post
Interesting so why don't you guys want to believe in anything?
Moderator cut: deleted there is no want involved. Why do you "want" to believe in religion?

To most of the atheists here, it is just fact that the believers have it wrong. End of discussion.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-16-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism