U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,560,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisweetheart View Post
What made you want to become a non-believer?
Become one?

Everyone is born an atheist. Silly to ask why you BECOME one.

Maybe you should ask why we remain an atheist. For me, I was not raised with any particular religion (mother was raised catholic father was jewish) and never felt the need to believe in that which cannot be proven to exist.

Think of the elaborate lengths to which adults go to convince children that fictional characters like the Easter bunny and Santa exist? Would children believe in Santa and Easter bunny if they were not taught to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,560,734 times
Quote:
Interesting so why don't you guys want to believe in anything?
Because why believe in something which isn't real?

Why don't you believe in Santa? It would be a nice idea, right? But one would hope as a rational being you recognize that Santa doesn't exist no matter how much you WANT to believe in him.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:49 AM

7,801 posts, read 5,419,844 times
Quote:
Hang on, how is not believing in ONE lie equivalent to not believing in "anything"??

Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 AM

5,460 posts, read 6,037,705 times
Quote:
What do you mean? I believe in lots of stuff, just not magical space fairies poofing universes into existence for their own amusement.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:02 AM

16,474 posts, read 18,512,980 times
Quote:

‪Richard Carrier Skepticon 3 "Are Christians Delusional?"‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM

455 posts, read 563,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
What do you mean? I believe in lots of stuff, just not magical space fairies poofing universes into existence for their own amusement.
Classic, gonna use that one !

Old 07-25-2011, 12:29 PM

3,879 posts, read 7,433,473 times
Quote:
What made you want to become a non-believer?
I didn't want to become a non-believer, I just am. Regardless, this is why:

-I always had doubts. The stories I was told about god and Jesus just seemed implausible, even as a very young child.

-The stories in the bible also sound implausible and many just don't make any sense.

-There is no historical record of Jesus Christ.

-I don't believe in an afterlife and without it, the rest of it falls completely apart.

-There are too many religions in the world. If it were the real truth, I think there should only be one.

- None of it can be proven and is all theory and heresay. I believe if it was the truth, it would be concrete like the air we breathe, the water we need to survive, the sun in the sky, the ground we walk on, like 1 + 1 = 2. It would be fact. There would be no argument about it. If I were a god and I created all of man, I'd make it so no one (in the correct mind) could question me because my presence and power would be as evident as the sun.

- Because humans are the only animals with the logic to create such an institution. The reason why animals do not have religion is because they do not have the mental capacity to conjure up such things. Its the same reason why we have civilizations. Because we can and felt we needed it. If we humans did not have this mental gift, there would be no religion.

- Because there is no need for it in my life. I dont need a book or church to give me morals, teach me right from wrong or tell me how to live my life.

- Because humans throughout history have believed some crazy bull without proof, evidence or forethought (phrenology, the earth being flat). Religion is more proof that people can be impressionable enough to believe anything and be threatened enough to go along with the masses. The bible is the greatest story every sold!

One of my favorite essays on the subject by Bertrand Russell can be read here:
Why I Am Not A Christian, by Bertrand Russell

Old 07-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
That's right...........i'd rather be in hell with all the hot sinners (including Prn stars, actresses, those chicks in college, etc.) than to be in 'heaven' with a bunch of stuck up virgins!
LOL!!!

I used to think the same thing! If all the so-called "good" people were going to heaven and all the sinners were going to hell and all the sinful things I love; alcohol, rock music, video games, sex, etc. would be banned from heaven, then why go there? I'd rather go to hell and have me a good time!!! Everyone else can sit in heaven, plucking harps, sitting under god's watchful eye, trying to stay pure for all eternity.

The devil has everyone fooled! He's the host of the biggest party in the universe!!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I think a better question is why believers want to believe?

Regardless, its not a choice. We dont coose what to believe it, its an organic state. Belief is what comes natural after you are given claims.

After being given religious theories, my mind has rejected it as bunk. As a child, I went alogn with it but as an adult lost the reason to even fake it. I just don't believe and I am so much happier now.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:04 PM

8,708 posts, read 12,086,554 times
Unbelieveable that they didn't have the projector ready to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism