U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,047,275 times

Advertisements

"Good God!!!" is an oxymoron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 01:24 PM

16,104 posts, read 17,903,536 times
"Atheists are intolernt? Well, I hope so, somebody has to be" -- Pat Condell

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

-- Karl Popper

Old 07-23-2011, 01:48 PM

164 posts, read 731,969 times
"God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?"

Old 07-23-2011, 01:50 PM

164 posts, read 731,969 times
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that gods do not exist, and that religion is either
a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world
objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature."

- Carl Sagan

Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 PM

289 posts, read 269,350 times
I know I posted this in another thread, but I enjoy it nonetheless:

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

--Galileo

Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,973,253 times
"I used to try to explain that in fact I enjoy my life, that it's a great sensual pleasure to zoom by power chair on these delicious muggy streets, that I have no more reason to kill myself than most people. But it gets tedious. God didn't put me on this street to provide disability awareness training to the likes of them. In fact, no god put anyone anywhere for any reason, if you want to know." Harriet McBryde Johnson

I like it as a disabled person, but I guess it also works as an atheist statement.

There might be something by Asimov too, he's an author I like. Although I think most of the quotes I like by him are about science rather than atheism as such.

Note: Quoting Pascal and Galileo seems a bit strange to me. Pascal became a rather intense Jansenist while Galileo sent his daughters to a convent. Neither was ever an atheist, or even deist, so far as I can recall. Still I'm not an atheist and I'm giving an atheist quote I like so you never know.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,345,088 times
H.L. Mencken gets my vote.

A church is a place in which gentlemen who have never been to heaven brag about it to persons who will never get there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most curious social convention of the great age in which we live is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true. In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the true; it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.... A man full of faith is simply one who has lost (or never had) the capacity for clear and realistic thought. He is not a mere ass: he is actually ill.
God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos: He will set them above their betters.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Progress: The process whereby the human race has got rid of whiskers, the vermiform appendix, and God.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration -- courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and, above all, love of the truth.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the function that a clergyman performs in the world? Answer: he gets his living by assuring idiots that he can save them from an imaginary hell.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I got in Sunday school ... was simply a firm conviction that the Christian faith was full of palpable absurdities, and the Christian God preposterous.... The act of worship, as carried on by Christians, seems to me to be debasing rather than ennobling. It involves grovelling before a being who, if he really exists, deserves to be denounced instead of respected.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...and my all time favourite.

The way to deal with superstition is not to be polite to it, but to tackle it with all arms, and so rout it, cripple it, and make it forever infamous and ridiculous. Is it, perchance, cherished by persons who should know better? Then their folly should be brought out into the light of day, and exhibited there in all its hideousness until they flee from it, hiding their heads in shame. True enough, even a superstitious man has certain inalienable rights. He has a right to harbour and indulge his imbecilities as long as he pleases, provided only he does not try to inflict them upon other men by force. He has a right to argue for them as eloquently as he can, in season and out of season. He has a right to teach them to his children. But certainly he has no right to be protected against the free criticism of those who do not hold them. He has no right to demand that they be treated as sacred. He has no right to preach them without challenge. Did Darrow, in the course of his dreadful bombardment of Bryan, drop a few shells, incidentally, into measurably cleaner camps? Then let the garrisons of those camps look to their defences. They are free to shoot back. But they can't disarm their enemy.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:22 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,973,253 times
"I'm an atheist, and that's it. I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." Katharine Hepburn

"If somebody feels they've looked at the evidence and they are Christian or whatever -- I would march on my bare feet to Washington, D.C., to guarantee their rights to make that decision. But what I wish is that people who haven't really looked into it but -- kind of like I was -- have a vague idea that there must be something there [God], I wish that they would look into it, because I think they wouldn't let people who are religious walk all over them as much as they do in our society." Julia Sweeney

More "I respect what they're saying, basically" kind of quotes.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:35 AM

39,146 posts, read 10,857,554 times
Superstitions are habits rather than beliefs.
-- Marlene Dietrich, Marlene Dietrich's ABCs, "Superstition"

Until they come to see us from their planet, I wait patiently. I hear them saying: Don't call us, we'll call you.
-- Marlene Dietrich, Marlene Dietrich's ABCs, "Venus"

If there is a supreme being, he's crazy.
-- Marlene Dietrich, quoted in Rave magazine, November 1986, from James A Haught, ed, 2000 Years of Disbelief
I lost my faith during the war and can't believe they are all up there, flying around or sitting at tables, all those I've lost.

-- Marlene Dietrich, cited in Marlene Dietrich Life & Legendby Steven Bach

It was also during the war that Dietrich, raised in a Protestant household, lost her faith after hearing the "devout" on both sides of the conflict invoking God to aid their cause and destroy their enemies. "If God exists," she later said, "he needs to review his plan."
In this photo: Marlene Dietrich
Photo: Anthony Potter Collection/Getty Images
Jan 01, 1943

Marlene Dietrich Plans the Next Leg of Her War Tour - WWII: Marlene Dietrich and the Boys - Photo Gallery - LIFE

Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,345,088 times
Don't know who said this but I like it.

"The evidence that any other life in the Universe is more intelligent than us is proven by the fact that it hasn't tried to contact us."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism