U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:30 AM

15,498 posts, read 7,275,875 times
I have noticed that a You tube dealing with supposed terror stricken last words of recanting unbelievers has been picked up and is gleefully being copied and pasted from one Christian site to another. Not one of them has bothered to ask whether they are true. I have shown that those that can be checked are shown to be false or tweaked. This is another one.

Thomas Hobbes, political philosopher and sceptic: ‘I am about to take a fearful leap into the dark.’

In October 1679, Hobbes suffered a bladder disorder, which was followed by a paralytic stroke from which he died on 4 December 1679. He is said to have uttered the last words "A great leap in the dark" in his final moments of life.[20] He was interred within St. John the Baptist Church in Ault Hucknall in Derbyshire, England. (Wiki)
I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. Thomas Hobbes Quotes - BrainyQuote

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. ~~ Thomas Hobbes, writer, d. 1679

The term 'Fearful' seems to have been added by some Theist hoping to make it seem that Hobbes had some dread of divine retribution. It's evident that Hobbes rather was expecting to leap into the unknown, not the dread known.

I will keep on looking. Some f these are ancient. It is hard now to check on the facts but the track record makes these terror stricken recantations (for example of Sir Francis Newport, skeptic: ‘I know I am lost forever! Oh, that fire! Oh, the insufferable pangs of hell!' look questionable. It is noticeable that they have has to ransack the seventeenth century for old quotes. Recent ones are rather harder to lie about.

I do hope that the many FALSE claims of helfire haunted atheist last words will be roundly shown up on site after site to be mucky Christian lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 AM

4,711 posts, read 3,740,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It is noticeable that they have has to ransack the seventeenth century for old quotes. Recent ones are rather harder to lie about.

I do hope that the many FALSE claims of helfire haunted atheist last words will be roundly shown up on site after site to be mucky Christian lies.
Yes, those quotes provided by Kiggy stink of interpolation and embellishment.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Yes, those quotes provided by Kiggy stink of interpolation and embellishment.
Indeed and many have now been shown to be false. Nice to see you posting again. And let's have a quote I rather like. Clearly about the falsity of the gospels amply demonstrated by the contradictions.

"From all this the conclusion follows that what we have here is not a
historical tradition of a factual resurrection...but an assertion of faith.
The stories of imagined apparitions are, for the most part, apologetic
constructions for buttressing belief by clothing it in material form. Whence
it follows in this crucial case, as in that of miracles in general, that the
only history we can glean from stories of supernatural magic is the
history of belief.
"
Alfred Loisy, Catholic Modernist. bible scholar, Professor at the Institut
Catholique in France from 1889 until his excommunication from the Church
in 1908, writing on contradiction between various stories of the resurrection

Over 120 years and they are still not listening.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:44 AM

4,711 posts, read 3,740,005 times
Quote:
Indeed and many have now been shown to be false. Nice to see you posting again. And let's have a quote I rather like. Clearly about the falsity of the gospels amply demonstrated by the contradictions.

history of belief."

Seems like someone woke up and smelled the truth.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:06 PM

1,074 posts, read 576,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."
Friedrich Nietzsche
How ironic -- a comment like that from a guy who died insane from syphillis.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I have noticed that a You tube dealing with supposed terror stricken last words of recanting unbelievers has been picked up and is gleefully being copied and pasted from one Christian site to another. Not one of them has bothered to ask whether they are true. I have shown that those that can be checked are shown to be false or tweaked. This is another one.

Thomas Hobbes, political philosopher and sceptic: ‘I am about to take a fearful leap into the dark.’

In October 1679, Hobbes suffered a bladder disorder, which was followed by a paralytic stroke from which he died on 4 December 1679. He is said to have uttered the last words "A great leap in the dark" in his final moments of life.[20] He was interred within St. John the Baptist Church in Ault Hucknall in Derbyshire, England. (Wiki)
I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. Thomas Hobbes Quotes - BrainyQuote

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. ~~ Thomas Hobbes, writer, d. 1679

The term 'Fearful' seems to have been added by some Theist hoping to make it seem that Hobbes had some dread of divine retribution. It's evident that Hobbes rather was expecting to leap into the unknown, not the dread known.

I will keep on looking. Some f these are ancient. It is hard now to check on the facts but the track record makes these terror stricken recantations (for example of Sir Francis Newport, skeptic: ‘I know I am lost forever! Oh, that fire! Oh, the insufferable pangs of hell!' look questionable. It is noticeable that they have has to ransack the seventeenth century for old quotes. Recent ones are rather harder to lie about.

But these are the same atheists that modern day atheists quote all the time. Why not their death. You have yet to prove that I'm a liar about these quotes. Again, atheists have a lot of trouble with the proof 'thang' don't they? I've come to note, Arequipas, that you're really all talk, and full hot air. I wonder what your last words will be when you face that great unknown? Hopefully it will be shorter than that pseudo-intellectual pap you spew.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:19 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,822,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
But these are the same atheists that modern day atheists quote all the time. Why not their death. You have yet to prove that I'm a liar about these quotes. Again, atheists have a lot of trouble with the proof 'thang' don't they? I've come to note, Arequipas, that you're really all talk, and full hot air.
Not at all, you just can't clear the fantasies from your head so that you can also see the the reality that zero evidence indicates.

Or it could be that you are so damn afraid of being wrong that you strike out with such vehement hatred of people that are happy without a head full of absurdities.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:

history of belief.
"

This isn't exactly modern thought, Arequipas -- wasn't that your critique of my quotes? But I guess if it suits your needs at the time, what the heck, right? Intellectual dishonesty: the hallmark of the atheist religion.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
This isn't exactly modern thought, Arequipas -- wasn't that your critique of my quotes? But I guess if it suits your needs at the time, what the heck, right? Intellectual dishonesty: the hallmark of the atheist religion.
One thing that has been seen again and again is the the dishonesty lies with the theist very often, in misrepresenting or falsifying deathbed quotes - I have given examples here - and your misrepresentation of my point about many examples being of old - timers is another example I'm afraid. The poor science or downright misrepresentation of evolution theory by Creationists being another. The use of fallacious arguments a third and a discussion on Exodus showing the dreadful fiddling and poor scholarship by a theist regarding the 'Tempest' stele being another example which sticks in my mind. The list goes on.

The point about quoting the deathbed remarks of atheists or skeptics is fair enough if it was relevant but it isn't. Even if they did panic at the last it would only show the power of the Hellfire threat - not that it was in any way true. But, as has been shown, there is strong evidence that certain theists have falsified the deathbed remarks in order to make a propaganda point. The 'Lady Hope' claim that Darwin recanted on his deathbed is a noted example of this falsification for polemic purposes.

If theists would get their facts straight and not use false reasoning in their arguments, we could discuss more reasonably.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:23 PM

3,786 posts, read 1,429,169 times
Quote:
How ironic -- a comment like that from a guy who died insane from syphillis.
haha that' actually funny because its ironic. thanks kiggy.

One thing though, Voltaire was agnostic, and his last words were "Goodbye, my dear Morand, I am dying"... he said them in French. as he was a French philosopher.
Albert Einstein was also Agnostic, I wonder what his last words were before he died.

Wikipedia:
Quote:

When Einstein died on April 18, 1955 he left a piece of writing ending in an unfinished sentence. These were his last words:
  • In essence, the conflict that exists today is no more than an old-style struggle for power, once again presented to mankind in semireligious trappings. The difference is that, this time, the development of atomic power has imbued the struggle with a ghostly character; for both parties know and admit that, should the quarrel deteriorate into actual war, mankind is doomed. Despite this knowledge, statesmen in responsible positions on both sides continue to employ the well-known technique of seeking to intimidate and demoralize the opponent by marshaling superior military strength. They do so even though such a policy entails the risk of war and doom. Not one statesman in a position of responsibility has dared to pursue the only course that holds out any promise of peace, the course of supranational security, since for a statesman to follow such a course would be tantamount to political suicide. Political passions, once they have been fanned into flame, exact their victims ... Citater fra...
Quote:

"Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies."
  • Who: Voltaire (attributed), when asked by a priest to (likely 'to atleast') renounce Satan
  • Note: Other sources say his final words were “I am abandoned by God and man! I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months’ life. Then I shall go to hell; and you will go with me. O Christ! O Jesus Christ!”; the earliest report of this version was by Charles Buck, an American preacher, who wrote of it in 1822, more than forty years after the death of Voltaire.
  • Another variant is "For God sake, leave me alone!", when asked by the priest to renounce Satan
Voltaire lived in France, so it was probably a Catholic priest btw.
But thanks to Arequipa we know now his more "dying" last words.
even while being pestered by a nasty Christian, Voltaire managed to Satire something with a comic quote.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 08-13-2011 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism