U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:32 PM

30,892 posts, read 31,788,057 times

Advertisements

I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.
Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 04:14 AM

39,207 posts, read 10,887,543 times
""Shall we shoot them again for a bit?" "Yeah, why not?"(hitch - hiker's guide to the galaxy)

"An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support."
-- John Buchan

"No philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of Atheism."
--Annie Wood Besant

Old 08-14-2011, 11:00 AM

16,105 posts, read 17,919,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
But these are the same atheists that modern day atheists quote all the time. Why not their death. You have yet to prove that I'm a liar about these quotes. Again, atheists have a lot of trouble with the proof 'thang' don't they? I've come to note, Arequipas, that you're really all talk, and full hot air. I wonder what your last words will be when you face that great unknown? Hopefully it will be shorter than that pseudo-intellectual pap you spew.
Christopher Hitchens Interview on His Own Mortality | HollywoodGrind (http://www.hollywoodgrind.com/christopher-hitchens-interview-on-his-own-mortality/ - broken link)

Quote:
Hitchens said if ever it is said that he became religious, or started to believe in God, that would be some sort of propanda by the religious community or side effect of cancer or the chemotherapy that made him no longer himself:

"The entity making such a remark might be a raving, terrified person whose cancer has spread to the brain. I can’t guarantee that such an entity wouldn’t make such a ridiculous remark, but no one recognizable as myself would ever make such a remark."

Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,494,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Christopher Hitchens Interview on His Own Mortality | HollywoodGrind (http://www.hollywoodgrind.com/christopher-hitchens-interview-on-his-own-mortality/ - broken link)
I guess Mr. Hitchens will see for himself, won't he? God bless his soul. I wish him the best. He has a nasty form of cancer, and I wish him well.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 PM

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.....Bertrand Russell

Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.....Bertrand Russell
Certainly not human intelligence. But wisdom is often praised. Take heed, sanspeur.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:07 PM

The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it.....Robert G. Ingersoll

Old 08-14-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it.....Robert G. Ingersoll
This could well be the reason why atheists don't believe in God. If one isn't ignorant spiritually, or intellectually, one will find the inspiration that's in the Bible.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 PM

39,207 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people" - Jesse Ventura

"Humanity without religion is like a serial killer without a chainsaw."
-- unknown

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

"Men never commit evil so fully and joyfuly as when they do it for religious convictions"
-- Blaise Pascal

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true." - Mark Twain

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-14-2011, 11:09 PM

Atheists do not believe in god because god is not intellectually feasible...Sanspeur

You do not need the Bible to justify love, but no better tool has been invented to justify hate. - Richard A. Weatherwax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism