Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,832,233 times

Advertisements

Here's a few oldies but goodies:

Voltaire: ‘I am abandoned by God and man…I shall go to hell.’

Thomas Paine: 'I would give worlds, if I had them, that the "Age of Reason" had never been published. Oh, God, save me; for I am at the edge of hell alone…’

Thomas Carlyle: I am as good as without hope, a sad old man gazing into the final chasm.’

Sir Thomas Scott, Chancellor of England: ‘Until this moment, I thought there was neither God nor Hell…Now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty…’

Edward Gibbon, author: ‘All is dark and doubtful.’

Mazarin, French cardinal: ‘Oh, my poor soul! What will become of thee? Whither wilt thou go?’

Thomas Hobbes, political philosopher and sceptic: ‘I am about to take a fearful leap into the dark.’

Sir Francis Newport, sceptic: ‘I know I am lost forever! Oh, that fire! Oh, the insufferable pangs of hell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 02:49 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,716,055 times
"Today Christians stand at the head of this country. I pledge that I never will tie myself to parties who want to destroy Christianity. We want to fill our culture again with the Christian spirit. We want to burn out all the recent immoral developments in literature, in the theater, and in the press - in short, we want to burn out the poison of immorality which has entered into our whole life and culture as a result of liberal excess during the past few years."

- Adolf Hitler, The Speeches of Adolf Hitler 1922-1939 Vol I (Oxford University Press, 1942)

And speaking of Thomas Paine...

"As to the Christian system of faith, it appears to me as a species of Atheism — a sort of religious denial of God. It professes to believe in a man rather than in God. It is a compound made up chiefly of Manism with but little Deism, and is as near to Atheism as twilight is to darkness."

- Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason Part I (1793)

"Each of those churches show certain books, which they call revelation, or the word of God. The Jews say, that their word of God was given by God to Moses, face to face; the Christians say, that their word of God came by divine inspiration: and the Turks say, that their word of God (the Koran) was brought by an angel from Heaven. Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."

- Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason Part I (1793)

Old 08-11-2011, 03:49 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,221,084 times
"Something is WRONG here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is NOT good work. If this is the best God can do, I am NOT impressed. Results like these do not belong on the resume of a supreme being. This is the kind of s**t you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently run universe, this guy would have been out on his all-powerful-a** a long time ago."

"Catholics, which I was until I reached the age of reason..."

-George Carlin

Old 08-11-2011, 04:01 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,186,176 times
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - Stephen Roberts

Old 08-11-2011, 04:44 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,973,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Here's a few oldies but goodies:

Voltaire: ‘I am abandoned by God and man…I shall go to hell.’

Thomas Paine: 'I would give worlds, if I had them, that the "Age of Reason" had never been published. Oh, God, save me; for I am at the edge of hell alone…’

Thomas Carlyle: I am as good as without hope, a sad old man gazing into the final chasm.’

Sir Thomas Scott, Chancellor of England: ‘Until this moment, I thought there was neither God nor Hell…Now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty…’

Edward Gibbon, author: ‘All is dark and doubtful.’

Mazarin, French cardinal: ‘Oh, my poor soul! What will become of thee? Whither wilt thou go?’

Thomas Hobbes, political philosopher and sceptic: ‘I am about to take a fearful leap into the dark.’

Sir Francis Newport, sceptic: ‘I know I am lost forever! Oh, that fire! Oh, the insufferable pangs of hell!

Here's Voltaire's [alleged] FULL words:

"‘I am abandoned by God and man! I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months’ life. Then I shall go to hell; and you will go with me. O Christ! O Jesus Christ!’"

Quote:
Voltaire's eagerness to outwit the Church, rather than merely abandon it completely, seems to have stemmed from his wish for a decent burial, rather than be "flung into a ditch or buried like a dog". He did manage to get a proper funeral in the end, but only through the intervention of his priest nephew, rather than any recantation.

Despite his dogged refusal to be bullied by the Church, stories soon spread that on his deathbed, Voltaire was heard to exclaim "I am abandoned by God and man!" and "I shall go to Hell." This, despite the fact that one of the doctors attending him testified that he had been unable to speak at all due to profuse spitting of blood. He did, however, communicate in writing to those present, and never once mentioned God, religion, or the hellfires that awaited him.
Taken from: Padraig Reidy - All a big mistake | New Humanist

Old 08-11-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Corleone View Post
How are any of these "spiritual" or "theistic" quotes? They pretty much describe what most atheists believe. After death, consciousness ends.

As for the rest, a lot can be derived from their meaning that is not religious.

As for all of them, verification that they are, in fact, final words of these people is scant, and often urban legend.

The topic was favorite atheistic quotes. These are mine. Am I not allowed to post them? And I assume you were there when each of these atheists died, so you can make such claims. And you, nor I, know whether after death, conscousness ends. But I bet Thomas Paine does, without ambiguity.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Here's Voltaire's [alleged] FULL words:

"‘I am abandoned by God and man! I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months’ life. Then I shall go to hell; and you will go with me. O Christ! O Jesus Christ!’"

Taken from: Padraig Reidy - All a big mistake | New Humanist
Insane, he wasn't saying that Christ was going with him to hell. He was crying out to Christ.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,973,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Insane, he wasn't saying that Christ was going with him to hell. He was crying out to Christ.
I was not even focusing on that. I was pointing out the apparent words that were put in his mouth.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Corleone View Post
LMAO! So now you were there with him?

Your quotes are mostly urban legend, or misunderstood distortions.

And they're not "atheistic quotes". You're off-topic. As usual.
I'm not off topic at all . These are quotes by well known atheists and are in the common realm of general knowledge. Just by looking at the quote you can tell that he was calling out to Christ.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I was not even focusing on that. I was pointing out the apparent words that were put in his mouth.
Put in his mouth by whom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism