U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,726,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
To be honest , No I didnt like team sports that much. I played them though because thats what my friends enjoyed. I prefered tennis and track , but I did prefer doubles tennis ; ) thats a team sport ha
Doubles tennis isn't a team sport. It's an individual game doubled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 03:19 PM

43 posts, read 16,423 times
Maybe.

I was active with team sports while in high school, playing basketball and baseball. But back then I still believed in God.

I don't compete in team sports anymore, but that probably has a lot more to do with the fact that I'm 33 and not in the NBA than anything else. If there's a decent pickup game around, I'm always down. I like snowboarding, mountain biking and running now, mostly because I don't need to put a team together for that.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if misanthropic feelings and atheism go hand-in-hand. After all, most of the world is a bunch of closed-minded religious fanatics, and therefore suck to be around.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,972,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORPagan View Post
That said, I wouldn't be surprised if misanthropic feelings and atheism go hand-in-hand. After all, most of the world is a bunch of closed-minded religious fanatics, and therefore suck to be around.
Agreed. I prefer the company of cats to that of most people. At least they consider themselves to be gods.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 PM

1,988 posts, read 4,631,650 times
Eh, I did softball as a kid. As a teen I was on an equestrian drill team. I also like bowling on a league. All of those are team things, but I was always more interested in how *I* was doing rather than how the team did.
I always hated any group work in school. It was always much more efficient to just to it myself. I still hate working on committees and other 'collaborative' crap at work. Ironically, my coworkers think of me as a team player because I always have a strong interest in helping others out (as long as I can do it my way)

Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,297,876 times
I love, love, LOVE watching hockey, enjoy watching football, and can get into baseball if I'm at the ballpark on a nice day. I don't enjoy things like MMA. And when I did participate in sports, they were solo endeavors, like skiing. Not sure how that fits into your theory.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,972,242 times
I used to do a lot of bicycling before I got into motorcycling. I love watching football and can get into the other team sports if they are competitive matches and I'm in the mood. I don't like MMa much, but I do like boxing. I never played any team sports in school, but I was small for my age. I liked marching band, if that counts.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 PM

6,845 posts, read 6,183,900 times
I'm an athiest who believes that the game of golf was surely created by the Devil.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:55 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,597 times
Thanks for all of your responses. Many of you have expressed feelings about group and team activities that are very similar to mine.

After reading the responses, do you think that atheists in general have less interest in team sports than people who are religious?

I had never thought about this until recently.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:11 PM

1,617 posts, read 1,619,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
After reading the responses, do you think that atheists in general have less interest in team sports than people who are religious?
The short answer, yes. Here is a lengthier one.

My view is that a good percentage of atheists are for the most part liberal-minded people. A good friend explained this to me [and I'll probably explain it more convolutedly than he did (long work-week), but I'll give it a shot], but it's has to do with how conservative-minded people have more of a "group" mentality: they have more of a need to "belong" to something i.e. going to church, going to ceremonies (graduation, things like that), and so on. On the other hand, liberal-minded people tend to go off and do things on their own--it doesn't concern them to be the odd person going off and doing their own thing that no one else is doing.

He went on to explain that any society needs this sort of balance to continue to progress: the group set (the herd) that does what's "normal", and then the outliers who go out and try new things, some of which could lead to the advancement of the society.

Team sports to me has the comfort of the group, the feeling of belonging to something. Doesn't mean that every atheist doesn't care for team sports and that every religious person loves them; most likely though, a good percentage of atheists wouldn't care for them much.

The friend who explained this to me (which to me it makes sense) is a functional atheist. Taking the word literally, I am also an atheist; however, I have a spirituality (not tied to any religion) that I'm not sure is shared by other atheists (it is not by my friend). Actually I'm quite sure spirituality not the correct term, and I'm not really certain how to describe it; it's like I have this sense that there is an energy, which I respect, that binds everything together.

I do not like any team sports or group work, and am very much a loner. I prefer to be by myself--even take vacations by myself which I'm discovering is kind of odd. I actually thought I would be lonely, but upon going on my first one alone, I found out how exhilerating it is to be in an unfamiliar town by myself, touring battlefields, hiking alone in nature. Absolutely love it, and given the choice to have someone with me, I'd actually prefer to go on my vacations alone now.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:59 AM

39,034 posts, read 10,825,389 times
I have never been a sporty person at all and was totally useless at cricket and regarded football with utter contempt. I did rather better at hockey, however and that is a team sport of course. Apart from that I have always been inclined to solo activities. Perhaps atheism is something to do with the 'unsociable gene'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism