U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 AM

2,718 posts, read 3,373,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Another poster mentioned a 'god gene' that some people have that makes them more inclined to believe in a diety. They implied this gene might also be related to the ability to form close relationships with other people.

I thought about this. I have been an Atheist for my entire life, and I have never liked team sports. I have always played sports - very avid golfer (64 rounds this year), OK at tennis, and played a lot of pool in college - but I never liked being on a team and I never liked being on team projects at work.

I like people a lot and am very friendly, and I liked working with other people very much. But, when it came down to it, I did my work, and they did theirs.

Do you think traits like mine are more prevalent among Atheists?
Well.....I'm not sure how to look at this(at least from a sport perspective)...because in my personal choice of sports, the sports I have chosen in the past to participate in are in training a team sport but in actual competition they are a singles sports.

With the exception of powerlifting, The Three sport I basically participated in were Wrestling, Taekwondo (TKD), and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ). While these sports typically require partners to help you train for an event (Granted I not counting Pattern (kata) competition in TKD.) in actual competition you compete alone against an opponent.
Also in my current training in BJJ, I typically have great relations with all the guy/gals at my academy and typically hangout for extended periods after training to BS with them......But I rarely go out and hang out with these folks outside of the academy. And I typically don't have many close personal interaction with folk that are not involved with the sport. Granted I do interact with co-workers but not on the same level as my "team mates" at the academy.
I don't know. I would say that I'm not a complete “loner” but I'm definitely not a "casual social" person.

As for watching sport. Personally I just can't do it. I get bored rather easily and would rather watch a documentary or debate.

Now whether my personal experiences/choices are similar to a lot of other non-believers remain to be seen. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no. I think most atheists want social interaction when participating in/watching a sport and probably would choose a sport that requires team work. Granted perhaps some atheist could separate their social interaction between sports and intellectual pursuits. What I mean is an atheist may chose a singles sport but may have a large social circle in an academic field or the like. So basically in the end what sport you decide to choose to participate in, your personality traits, and your propensity for atheism may not be linked together per se.

Last edited by baystater; 07-29-2011 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 AM

7,884 posts, read 4,697,779 times
Rugby player here...well, used to be....before I got old....now I just sit in front of a computer screen. Sad innit?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 AM

223 posts, read 118,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I have never been a sporty person at all and was totally useless at cricket and regarded football with utter contempt. I did rather better at hockey, however and that is a team sport of course. Apart from that I have always been inclined to solo activities. Perhaps atheism is something to do with the 'unsociable gene'.
Maybe, but it helps to be around other atheists. My wife and I both have utter disdain for religion and all it brings, so we get along great. If I went on vacation with a devout Christian, by the end of the weekend only one of us would come back.

I do like the previous poster's ideas about solo vacations. But I'm married with a kid, so it ain't in the cards anytime soon. Learning to get along with people isn't a conservative, closed-minded concept, in my view. Just something we do as mammals.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 AM

8,262 posts, read 4,993,723 times
Default Atheists: Do you like team sports?

Yes...

College football and major league baseball.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 PM

15,716 posts, read 7,892,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
Maybe, but it helps to be around other atheists. My wife and I both have utter disdain for religion and all it brings, so we get along great. If I went on vacation with a devout Christian, by the end of the weekend only one of us would come back.

I do like the previous poster's ideas about solo vacations. But I'm married with a kid, so it ain't in the cards anytime soon. Learning to get along with people isn't a conservative, closed-minded concept, in my view. Just something we do as mammals.
That is certainly true. It is a lot less stressful (though that can often also be a lot more stimulating) to live amongst like - minded people. I did once attend an atheist meet - up and it was wonderful to - for once - discuss a subject that most people I hear talk can't cut through the fog of prejudice and indoctrination to approach.

And I love being here. So I may no be so unsociable as I thought.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:13 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,665,908 times
Seems like I'm with a lot of people on here. I'm not particularly fond of team-based competition sports. I'm much more leisurely, with some exceptions. I wrestled in high-school, but did it mostly for the comradery. I played baseball for over ten years as a kid. Stopped that in high-school, but I occasionally just throw the ball around now and again. The only competitive sport I play now is paintball, and that's not really all that competitive when I think about it. I load up, go into the woods, and spit paint at other people. Come back in, shoot the ****, and no great loss to me.

So no, not intensely competitive, at least not physically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism