Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,627,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I was thinking about the sports we Atheists play, not the ones we watch.

You participated in an individual sport (track) and a team sport (baseball). Which one gave you more satisfaction?
Almost entirely individual.

I surf, scuba dive, wakeboard, free dive, swim, hiking, kayaking, etc.

Even the handful of group sports I like are not particularly competitive; frisbee, softball (beer league style), etc.

All of the competition I feel to excel at things is to beat myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 01:12 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,027,335 times
would this mean that people that hold independent religions and those that are non-dogmatic theists (such as Deists), also hate team sports?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,548,061 times
Before I became ill and when I was physically super active I never found team sports of any interest whatsoever. Same with spectator sports generally. I find the problem with team sports is that there is a kinf of "mafia" and way too much pressure to behave one cookie cut way. I was always put for Basketball at school because I am tall , had to do stuff like Grass Hockey and Volley-Ball and it was brutal. Basically you were supposed to despise the other team, there was way too much flag waving and navel gazing for me. If you dared to point out that someone in your team had committed a foul you were instantly regarded as a traitor rather fair which i found ridiculous.

I always used to hate PE at school. I used to shout "it's only a game" but nobody listened... I found team sports people clique-ish and it's just not my scene. I was very good at ice hockey and enjoyed the adrenaline but the violence and partisanship ruined the game for me.

I have never been competitive in the slightest, to me sports is only a game and should be about having fun. Not a popular mantra with my school teams...

Skiing to me and swimming in the ocean have always been my favourite sports with hiking. I can just be me. Diving, Canoeing, Kayaking etc... Sports which bring me peace and tranquility not anxiety.

I can introvert and zone out, and tune out the world. I am doing Archery at the moment and my local club is so competitive it is ruining all the fun ( one of our members is an Olympian). Archery to me is almost a Zen pursuit, the only sport I have ever done when I can only think of the present moment. But having people who simply breathe it through every pore and want to win this and that competition is just sad. I have no desire to judge myself by other people's standards.

My local team is just ruining the beauty of a sport . And don't get me started on all the kit.... I find proper archers who use the long bow or do field archery so much more impressive than those people with their compounds/recurves, stabilisers, enhanced sights, this and that. Where is the sport in that ? I am thinking of leaving soon to join a smaller club who does traditional archery with members who are passionate about the history and simplicity of the shooting.

Polo is the only team sport I enjoy spectating with the very occasional ice hockey game. Polo to me is sheer poetry in motion. Ice Hockey is exciting because it is fast.

Team Sports are just not for me. I don't "do" teams very well. I am just as happy when the other team wins which seems to run counter to what most team people are in my experience. It is not about winning to me . Never was, never will be.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,027,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
would this mean that people that hold independent religions and those that are non-dogmatic theists (such as Deists), also hate team sports?
that wasn't a rhetorical question. im actually curious.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:56 PM

165 posts, read 303,354 times
I think this is just a generalization and there are exceptions is basically the answer.

There is a lot of correlation, but like I said, I despise religion and hate being a team player in society...

EXCEPT when I'm playing Basketball, or Football. I consider Baseball a kind of a half breed team sport which is made up of lots of individual sport challenges (Pitcher versus hitter, Runner versus Catcher etc.)

But i will say I always have my own agenda when I'm on a team. But I do have father issues so I do tend to want to impress a coach or the best player on a team I've observed in my 25 years. More of a "Give me my respect" type of deal. I like to mess with people in team sports too. Totally frustrate them with ridiculous attention to detail or if they are making me angry in any way I will start playing dirty somewhat (in basketball games I would sometimes throw elbows to some kid I didn't like and purposely anger the opposing coach smiling and in football I've made numerous kids cry by just annihilating them even though they weren't part of the play.) I guess you could say I'm a psychopath. Maybe I should of got into boxing... or see a therapist...

Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,691,475 times
I don't like team sports, never have. I put it down to being small, everyone always towered over me and I felt intimidated.

Tennis however...I could play all day.

Back when I was a teenager I was heavily involved in christianity so there was no correlation.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:58 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,940,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
You sound like me!
Except I don't really participate in any sports at all.
Is mushroom hunting a sport?
If mushroom hunting is a sport, I deserve a trophy.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,187,412 times
Cricket for me was the best team sport as your individual skills can still be appreciated. But sadly for you yanks, this is a long game and as such garners no support.

Here in SA folk make a day of it at the fields, BBQing and getting wasted as booze is available. Actually a nice gathering of folk that share a common bond. It is a great game to play and watch.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:54 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,972,293 times
Interesting question, Hiker.

I am an atheist and basically a loner. I like having people around. I could never live out in the country or have a job that was solitary but I am not very social or inclined to group projects or activities.

Like you, I work with other people but we each have our own tasks. As far as sports; I have never been drawn to team sports but do enjoy more solitary recreation like biking, hiking, working out, and I use to jog regularly.

Not sure why atheists would be particularly non-group oriented. Perhaps we are just more comfortable with the world as it is, around us and don't need the support from the outside. (shrugs shoulders)

Old 07-26-2011, 01:30 PM

180 posts, read 216,302 times
To be honest , No I didnt like team sports that much. I played them though because thats what my friends enjoyed. I prefered tennis and track , but I did prefer doubles tennis ; ) thats a team sport ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism