U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:10 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,113,999 times

Advertisements

Another poster mentioned a 'god gene' that some people have that makes them more inclined to believe in a diety. They implied this gene might also be related to the ability to form close relationships with other people.

I thought about this. I have been an Atheist for my entire life, and I have never liked team sports. I have always played sports - very avid golfer (64 rounds this year), OK at tennis, and played a lot of pool in college - but I never liked being on a team and I never liked being on team projects at work.

I like people a lot and am very friendly, and I liked working with other people very much. But, when it came down to it, I did my work, and they did theirs.

Do you think traits like mine are more prevalent among Atheists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,044,384 times
Atheists: Do you like team sports?

Well, yeah, I am well co-ordinated and play a number of sports well, I am 5'10" 200 lbs, quite strong with good reflexes. I do tend to be competitive. I am also 63 years old, will be 64 in Sept. I am not a fast runner, as runners go, but...I am still the one they warn other players about, they say I am deceptively quick.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,961,439 times
Short answer no. I enjoy going to the local minor league baseball games, but with 2000 - 3000 attendance its a bit more personal, plus tickets are reasonable, and on Thirsty Thursdays beer is $1

I wouldn't go to a pro ball game (any of them) even if the tickets were free, it's like rooting for a company. I'd rather watch mold grow on bread than sit through a 2 hit 1 run baseball game. I can watch the grandsons throw the ball back and forth for free.

Tried golf, chasing a tiny ball six miles across land laid toxic by over fertilization did nothing for me. Played tennis for number of years.

Haven't watch a 'team' sport on TV in decades. I do admire soccer for the simple reason they play instead of constantly calling time. Turn over to the news at 6 PM and find a basketball game with 4 minutes left. It takes 20 - 30 minutes to play those 4 minutes, then former players spend 10 more minutes explaining to sports fans what happened. Much the same for football.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 AM

4,349 posts, read 2,976,604 times
I like playing football, kickball and baseball, but aren't good at them. I like watching baseball games up close, but not on television. I thrive on noise and being around and talking to as many people as possible, but seldom if ever become lonely due to a short term lack of contact with anyone, unlike many of the type of people I've hung around with. I need isolation every once in awhile or I'll go nuts.

Last edited by Clintone; 07-24-2011 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-24-2011, 10:14 AM

1,387 posts, read 2,166,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Another poster mentioned a 'god gene' that some people have that makes them more inclined to believe in a diety. They implied this gene might also be related to the ability to form close relationships with other people.

I thought about this. I have been an Atheist for my entire life, and I have never liked team sports. I have always played sports - very avid golfer (64 rounds this year), OK at tennis, and played a lot of pool in college - but I never liked being on a team and I never liked being on team projects at work.

I like people a lot and am very friendly, and I liked working with other people very much. But, when it came down to it, I did my work, and they did theirs.

Do you think traits like mine are more prevalent among Atheists?
You sound like me!
Except I don't really participate in any sports at all.
Is mushroom hunting a sport?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:26 AM

5,322 posts, read 8,363,585 times
I don't see how playing sports necessarily involves being close to other people. I don't like to watch sports, and the ones I play usually involved smaller groups than typical team sports. I have many very close relationships, and I also cooperate very well with groups, such as at work, even if I rarely fall into the group-think or mindless team spirit phenomenon.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:30 AM

165 posts, read 253,825 times
I'd say I'm Agnostic. I believe humans are all connected in ways we don't even know (basically we are that feeling of "god.") I believe the neurons and synapses in our brains are not unlike the constellations in the universe. As above, so below you could say. The irony is I hate most people but that's due to my own issues in the past. With that said I love team sports.

Very competitive. I have an inner fire/will that most don't I guess. I feel like I could run through a brick wall sometimes. Which is insanely stupid for my well being but it is what it is.

I always hated group projects in school though. Intellectually I look down on others usually because of what I've grown up around. But when I'm playing Basketball and my teammates suck, I don't get mad or discouraged, I usually take it as a personal challenge to take the team on my back and show everyone "dang... this dude is crazy." Moral victories I guess you could say. Again, probably going back to father issues from my past.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Is mushroom hunting a sport?
Yeah, I think mushroom hunting is a sport, and a great sport at that! You get outside, you move around, and you have to seriously concentrate.

There are old mushroom eaters, and there are bold mushroom eaters, but there are very few old, bold mushroom eaters.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:07 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,868,617 times
I'm an atheist and I follow the NFL like an obsession. As a 49er fan, I travel to at least 1 away game a year, sometimes 2. I also follow and play hockey, follow baseball as well. Growing up I played all sports and lettered in track and baseball in High School.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I'm an atheist and I follow the NFL like an obsession. As a 49er fan, I travel to at least 1 away game a year, sometimes 2. I also follow and play hockey, follow baseball as well. Growing up I played all sports and lettered in track and baseball in High School.
I was thinking about the sports we Atheists play, not the ones we watch.

You participated in an individual sport (track) and a team sport (baseball). Which one gave you more satisfaction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism