Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 05:46 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times

Advertisements

I love this idea, I hope it works.

"Basically, we've had enough of Westboro Baptist Church's bullsh*t. We have begun pushing the IRS and the Federal Government to revoke Westboro Baptist Church's tax-exempt status for violation of 501(c)3 tax-exempt law for religious organizations. We believe this a perfectly REASONABLE reaction to the kinds of psychologically violent and abusive (and definitely political) activities Westboro Baptist Church engages in. Please sign the petition via the link listed."

Petition to revoke Westboro Baptist Church's tax-exempt status IMMEDIATELY. | Facebook

Revoke Westboro Baptist Church's tax-exempt status IMMEDIATELY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I like the idea, but I think about half of them are lawyers and as crazy as they are they are apparently pretty effective lawyers so tend to win on challenges.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:37 PM

192 posts, read 436,262 times
Sounds good . . . but let's revoke the tax exemption for ALL religions

Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I agree. Dislike Westboro as they may, it's a precedent few churches will want to see set.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
They are about as vile, psychologically violent, and abusive as they come.

I think this is really a matter of degree, not a difference in kind, from other churches.

I don't see how you revoke their tax exemption and let the catholics keep theirs. The catholics threaten millions of people with unimaginable, everlasting punishment, not to mention the fact that they condone and cover up for the rape of children. On balance, I think they're worse.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:32 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
AFAIK, the only thing houses of worship may not do is endorse or oppose candidates for public office or use their resources in partisan campaigns. This restriction, which is found in federal tax law, is not limited to churches and other religious ministries. In fact, it is applied to every non-profit organization in the country that holds a tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Contrary to the claims of many in the Religious Right, the IRS is not singling out houses of worship for special regulation. Thousands of educational, scientific, charitable and literary organizations hold the 501(c)(3) status, and all must abide by the legal requirement barring involvement in elections.

Non-profit organizations receive tax exemption because their work is charitable, educational or religious. That tax benefit comes with conditions. One requirement is that tax-exempt organizations refrain from involvement in partisan politics. This is a reasonable rule, since tax-exempt groups are supposed to work for the public good, not spend their time and money trying to elect or defeat candidates.

This regulation is also designed to protect the integrity of the election process. Special types of organizations already exist to help political hopefuls win public office. Those groups, such as Political Action Committees, have a different tax status and are organized under a different set of rules than 501(c)(3) groups, rules designed to ensure that the nation's campaign-finance laws are followed. Blurring the distinction between these two types of organizations would harm both religion and politics.

The interesting thing about all this is that certain religious institutions have blatently ignore these stipulations...especially the Pat Robertson's and James Dobsons of the world. They should have had their 501(c)(3) status revoked YEARS ago.

I dislike the Westboro people immensely and would love nothing more than "go Comanche" on them. Ah...the good old days! As to the tax-code, I'm not sure what they are doing will get their exempt status revoked vile as they are. If the IRS isn't going to go after Dobson or Robertson for breaking clear laws concerning exempt status, I doubt they will bother with the Westboro dirt bags.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I like the idea, but I think about half of them are lawyers and as crazy as they are they are apparently pretty effective lawyers so tend to win on challenges.
oh Lawdy !

Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
"eek", "cool", "crying"?

Huh?

What does that mean?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:45 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
"eek", "cool", "crying"?

Huh?

What does that mean?
sorry about that. the cool smiley looks like a smirk to me.

so "eek", "smirk" -to the lawyers, "crying".

Old 06-25-2010, 03:48 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
I love this idea, I hope it works.

"Basically, we've had enough of Westboro Baptist Church's bullsh*t. We have begun pushing the IRS and the Federal Government to revoke Westboro Baptist Church's tax-exempt status for violation of 501(c)3 tax-exempt law for religious organizations. We believe this a perfectly REASONABLE reaction to the kinds of psychologically violent and abusive (and definitely political) activities Westboro Baptist Church engages in. Please sign the petition via the link listed."

Petition to revoke Westboro Baptist Church's tax-exempt status IMMEDIATELY. | Facebook

Revoke Westboro Baptist Church's tax-exempt status IMMEDIATELY!
This is just an uninformed and ad hoc form of revenge. The members of Westboro, despite the fact that they're all insane, have not violated any tax laws. They haven't violated any other laws either. There are simply no grounds for revoking their 501(c)3 status. A petition to do so is just an empty threat in reaction to the fact that they're mean people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism