U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,721,460 times
Reputation: 844

Advertisements

I for one don't dismiss Rick Perry's chances. He has done well keeping Texas solvent right and that will work in his favor. I don't follow politics so much but I know this Mike Bickel fellow who is partners with Perry in this prayer movement. Some crazy stuff folks.

Rick Perry’s Pals: ‘Gay Marriage Agenda Is Rooted In The Depths Of Hell’ | The New Civil Rights Movement

Even many Christians don't like it:

Worldview Weekend News: Governor of Texas, Rick Perry Bases Call for National Prayer on Joel’s Army Cult?

Much less the atheist activists:

Atheist Group Sues Rick Perry for Participating in Prayer Rally | Care2 Causes

Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2011, 05:30 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,966,937 times
Reputation: 8282
Damn they grow 'um stupid in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,286,660 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Damn they grow 'um stupid in Texas.
I still remember when Ann Richards was sworn in as Governor. She was asked which version of the Bible she wanted to use. Her answer became classic She answered "The KJV, if it was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 PM
 
16,102 posts, read 17,903,536 times
Reputation: 15895
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I for one don't dismiss Rick Perry's chances. He has done well keeping Texas solvent right and that will work in his favor. I don't follow politics so much but I know this Mike Bickel fellow who is partners with Perry in this prayer movement. Some crazy stuff folks.

Discuss
Where do you get that he kept the state solvent? He didn't. It's all smoke and mirrors and taking away from the schools, libraries, hospitals, etc. He gave a tax break to those who by yachts, but the library budget for databases has been cut more than 50%. School funding has been cut so that classes will have more kids in them as well. (He allowed that through raising the numbers that can be placed in classes in elementary schools).

Rick Perry Doubled Texas’ Debt, Then Balanced Budget Through Accounting Gimmicks | ThinkProgress

Quote:
Rick Perry Doubled Texas’ Debt, Then Balanced Budget Through Accounting Gimmicks
Quote:
As governor for over a decade, Perry’s “fiscal conservatism” has doubled the state’s debt from $13.7 billion in 2001 to $34.08 billion in 2009. He’s refused to raise taxes on the wealthy and brags about not dipping into the state’s substantial Rainy Day Fund. (However, Perry’s fellow Texas Republicans claim Perry has appropriated nearly all the money in the Rainy Day Fund, and have asked him to stop claiming that he preserved it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 PM
 
8,680 posts, read 13,306,012 times
Reputation: 15273
God forbid!

Wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,186 posts, read 11,003,902 times
Reputation: 7420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I still remember when Ann Richards was sworn in as Governor. She was asked which version of the Bible she wanted to use. Her answer became classic She answered "The KJV, if it was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me."
That was a really stupid thing for her to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Dallas: Oak Cliff
457 posts, read 1,395,567 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I still remember when Ann Richards was sworn in as Governor. She was asked which version of the Bible she wanted to use. Her answer became classic She answered "The KJV, if it was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me."
What's even more frightening is that she doesn't come close to having the far right support that W. and Perry have. She was an elected democrat in Texas which really meant she was still very much right of center on most issues. Also, the only reason she won that election is because her opponent suggested that women enduring rape lay back and take it so as to avoid further harm just a few days prior to the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,721,460 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
What's even more frightening is that she doesn't come close to having the far right support that W. and Perry have. She was an elected democrat in Texas which really meant she was still very much right of center on most issues. Also, the only reason she won that election is because her opponent suggested that women enduring rape lay back and take it so as to avoid further harm just a few days prior to the election.
Actually he said rape was like bad weather. You can't do anything about it so just relax and enjoy it. What a dumbass.

But what's scary about Bickel and his crew - they really think they are in charge of the world, acting - and I mean literally, as representatives of God. In fact an offshoot here in Texas believes they kept all hurricanes away from the Texas coast for years because of their statewide "prayer covering" which was active over all coastal counties. Then Houston/Galveston got slammed and - oooops, some prayer warrior must have really dropped the ball.

Anyway, the level of superstition is staggering. I know these folks - they're not bad people but they desperately desperately want to stop all the evil and hurt which is in the world (and are very misguided about how to do that). Instead of fighting the real problems they want to stop the things they think are bringing God's wrath down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2011, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Dallas: Oak Cliff
457 posts, read 1,395,567 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Actually he said rape was like bad weather. You can't do anything about it so just relax and enjoy it. What a dumbass.

But what's scary about Bickel and his crew - they really think they are in charge of the world, acting - and I mean literally, as representatives of God. In fact an offshoot here in Texas believes they kept all hurricanes away from the Texas coast for years because of their statewide "prayer covering" which was active over all coastal counties. Then Houston/Galveston got slammed and - oooops, some prayer warrior must have really dropped the ball.

Anyway, the level of superstition is staggering. I know these folks - they're not bad people but they desperately desperately want to stop all the evil and hurt which is in the world (and are very misguided about how to do that). Instead of fighting the real problems they want to stop the things they think are bringing God's wrath down.

Thanks for clarifying exactly what he said. I couldn't remember the specifics. Its terrifying in that is pretty much the only way a far right wing hostage of the fantasies can lose a state-wide election in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,868 posts, read 6,197,101 times
Reputation: 6164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That was a really stupid thing for her to say.
If she (Ann Richards) said that then she meant it as a joke referring to Ma Ferguson from the 1800's. Most likely, Ann Richards never said this at all.

Ma Ferguson was the first woman governer of Texas in is alleged to have said that if "English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it is good enough for the children of Texas" in some sort of controversy about the use of spanish in schools. However, it is controversial as to whether this ever happened or not.

Last edited by eddie gein; 08-03-2011 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top