U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 AM

39,677 posts, read 11,069,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
radical honesty hurts people's feelings. People usually care more about being happy than whether something is true or not.
They do, which is why so many people believe comfy nonsense. There are those of us who would much rather that their views and beliefs were soundly based even if they were not what we would have liked to hear.

I can sympathize with those who cannot deal with that approach but I have less sympathy with those who exploit those who cannot have such a view or who have been kept ignorant of it in order to peddle an unverified tale. If they further don't even believe the tale themselves, they have got a bit of explaining to do, wouldn't you concur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,307,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
radical honesty hurts people's feelings. People usually care more about being happy than whether something is true or not.
Indeed. The problem is often that they think there is some onus on us to pander to their self delusions however, and that people who make a habit of telling the truth are somehow the "bad guys".

I wonder if such as pressure is also on such atheist ministers, coupled with the already unbearable pressure of working a job that no longer means anything to you, but also while realizing that selling fantasy to the self deluded leaves one with few marketable skills in the real world.... except maybe in the Advertising world.

It is difficult to imagine what it must be like to be forced to stay in a career because of a combination of having no useful skills elsewhere... and the fear that even your closest loved ones would reject and disown you if you dared express the truth of your own mind.

Such are the fruits of religion alas.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:18 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,835,933 times
[quote=Woodrow LI;20376470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Most are long time friends of mine. The bishop for instance was a college class mate of mine. We get into some pretty deep discussions and know enough well enough that some times personal beliefs get discussed. I spent a number of years as an Evangelist, and many of my friends are Christian ministers. Some are still very close friends. I doubt if they would have discussed their Atheist views with me if I was still a christian. Perhaps being removed from Christianity, they feel safe in discussing it with me.

That is just a feeling I get. Since they admit to actually being atheist, I can not understand their desire to convert me back to Christianity. That is the only explanation I can think of.

I think your confusing Christianity with Catholicism. There are no Bishops in Christianity, atleast none that Ive heard of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Nor can I. If they don't really believe it I find it incomprehensible they would be trying to sell it to anyone else.
Uless of course there is a financial gain....incomprehensible none the less

Quote:

Possibly as you suggested they cushion the sheer invalidity of the whole religion thing by finding some social or moral value in the Bible or church organization and that there is such I can't deny.
Yes, there is alot of moral value to the Bible. The trick is knowing what should and shouldn't be taken away from it.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,360,597 times
Quote:

I think your confusing Christianity with Catholicism. There are no Bishops in Christianity, atleast none that Ive heard of.
There are Roman Catholic, Methodist, Episcopalian, Lutheran, Anglican, Coptic, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox and Prebytarian Bishops to name just a few.

The Methodist Bishop, who is my friend, can be found in this list:

These are the Current USA Methodist Bishops:

Quote:
Timothy W. Whitaker 2001
Øystein Olsen 2001
Solito K. Toquero 2001
Nélida (Nelly) Ritchie 2001
Marcus Matthews 2004
Sudarshana Devadhar 2004
Jeremiah J. Park 2004
Hope Morgan Ward 2004
William H. Willimon 2004
James E. Swanson Sr 2004
Hee-soo Jung 2004
Robert E. Hayes Jr 2004
Alfred W. Gwinn Jr 2004
John R. Schol 2004
Richard J. Wills Jr 2004
Robert C. Schnase 2004
Deborah L. Kiesey 2004
Jane Allen Middleton 2004
Thomas J. Bickerton 2004
Scott J. Jones 2004
Charles N. Crutchfield 2004
Robert T. Hoshibata 2004
Mary Virginia Taylor 2004
Sally Dyck 2004
Minerva G. Carcaño 2004
Eben K. Nhiwatiwa 2004
Carlos Poma 2004
Hans Växby 2005
David Kekumba Yemba 2005
Rosemarie Wenner 2005
Benjamin Boni 2005
Patrick Streiff 2005
Daniel Wandabula 2006
Kefas Kane Mavula 2007
Paul Leeland 2008
Peggy Johnson 2008
W. Earl Bledsoe 2008
John Michael Lowry 2008
Julius C. Trimble 2008
Grant J. Hagiya 2008
Elaine J. W. Stanovsky 2008
James Dorff 2008
Joaquina Filipe Nhanala 2008
Rodolfo Alfonso Juan 2008
Lito Cabacungan Tangonan 2008
John K. Yambasu 2008
SOURCE

Old 08-09-2011, 12:48 PM

39,677 posts, read 11,069,440 times
[quote=WhipperSnapper 88;20383607]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

There are certainly protestant bishops.
Quote:
Yes, there is alot of moral value to the Bible. The trick is knowing what should and shouldn't be taken away from it.
Or to put it another way, it should be assessed rationally, not just accepted as valid because it is in scripture.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:40 PM

[quote]
Quote:

There are certainly protestant bishops.
Yes but aren't the protestants a denomination of Catholocism?

Quote:
Or to put it another way, it should be assessed rationally, not just accepted as valid because it is in scripture.
Ok, that works to! Basicly, I think there should be no predetermination of truth. The Bible should be read as an old timey fairy tail with a "moral of the story is" type of outlook.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:58 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,500,731 times
Ok, that works to! Basicly, I think there should be no predetermination of truth. The Bible should be read as an old timey fairy tail with a "moral of the story is" type of outlook.[/quote]

What a coincidence! That's how I read the works of Thomas Paine! See, I knew that we had SOMETHING in common!

Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,360,597 times
[quote=WhipperSnapper 88;20388198]
Quote:

Yes but aren't the protestants a denomination of Catholocism?

Well many Protestants think the Pope is the Anti-Christ.

Protestants do not follow the Pope. Have different sacraments and use a different bible. also different sets of church canons, different doctrine and do not recognize many Catholic Saints. Also the worship services differ considerably. Most Protestants do not call their Service Mass, do not Believe the Eucharist is the actual body and Blood of Jesus(swt), do not genuflect when entering a pew, do not make the sign of the Cross with their right hand, do not sprinkle themselves with holy water, Do not follow the catechism, do not pray to Mary, do not use Rosary Beads plus numerous other differences.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 PM

10,946 posts, read 8,289,311 times
Quote:
What do Atheists think about other Atheists who lead the faithful???

Atheist Ministers Leading the Faithful - ABC News
My thoughts? An oxymoron.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
What a coincidence! That's how I read the works of Thomas Paine! See, I knew that we had SOMETHING in common!
Hey, to each his/her own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism