U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:11 AM

15 posts, read 7,196 times
Usually I see them under the name of "secular humanist" ministers. I personally find secular humanism to be lackluster in many categories, but that is besides the point. I don't like the idea of having atheist anything. You can't unify a group on what they don't believe in. It would be like people getting together to play not monopoly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 03:05 PM

5,213 posts, read 1,881,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaCrates View Post
You can't unify a group on what they don't believe in. It would be like people getting together to play not monopoly.
I am not sure that the comparison, although apt, is entirely fair. If you do the comparison properly you will find that it is in fact possible to unify such a group.

It is not just like getting together to not play monopoly. It is like getting together to not play monopoly in a world where the vast majority of people play monopoly.... and think that Parker Brothers / Hasbro created the universe, humanity, and morality..... and that they control access to an eternal afterlife entry to which is dependant on your following the rules of monopoly that they and they alone play by.... and that the differences in those rules between how they play and how everyone else plays is worth fighting over and even dying for.

Given THAT comparison, it is much easier to see just how the non players of monopoly could be unified.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:16 PM

3,802 posts, read 1,500,496 times
plus, the educated atheists could just get together for what they are: physicalists.
They can play and discuss Physicalism all day long that way, all ghost believing atheists would be excluded, and physicalism would finally become a religion instead of simply an established philosophy.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:41 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,519,960 times
They probably make a whole Lotta MONEY !!! I think some whose names I won't mention (Coughs Like Bob Tilton) were doing for the money. We can all believe in that.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:55 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,293,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaCrates View Post
Usually I see them under the name of "secular humanist" ministers. I personally find secular humanism to be lackluster in many categories, but that is besides the point. I don't like the idea of having atheist anything. You can't unify a group on what they don't believe in. It would be like people getting together to play not monopoly.
Too bad we live on a society where there are laws criminalizing breaking the rules of Monopoly, where people face condemnation and ostracization if they don't play Monopoly, and where children are lectured that they'll burn in Hell for all eternity if, instead of going directly to jail, they dare to pass Go and collect $200...

Last edited by Voyageur; 08-22-2011 at 04:22 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 08:12 AM

15,504 posts, read 7,618,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
plus, the educated atheists could just get together for what they are: physicalists.
They can play and discuss Physicalism all day long that way, all ghost believing atheists would be excluded, and physicalism would finally become a religion instead of simply an established philosophy.
I think that, while you have advanced a long way down the road of reason, you are still a long way down the list of persons whom atheists - educated or not - would consult as to how to spend their discussion time, since your view of atheism is clearly still ill -informed and prejudiced.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,284,658 times
What Are You'r Thoughts On "Atheist Ministers" ???

Hummmmm, I don't react well to preaching of any kind.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:31 PM

616 posts, read 561,627 times
Atheist ministers should be making plans to get out of the pulpit.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:51 AM

245 posts, read 254,195 times
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I think you have to consider the 'career' aspect. I suspect many of these ministers probably find themselves in a career they can accept, but don't particularly 'believe in'. Let's face it, these guys are 'professionals' in their field. You can look to professionals in any field and find those whose decision to 'stay put' is based on professional/career motives, rather than ideological.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Status: "I'm back--My silly human fell asleep" (set 1 day ago)

10,519 posts, read 4,051,314 times
Religion is a very big and profitable business to many people.

In some religious sectors the clergy are professionals in the world of business and very adept at understanding the growth charts along with reviews of profits and losses. A minister of a large denomination plays very much the same role as the CEO of any large corporation.

I really do not understand how some ministers could conduct business with their business ethics if they believed in God.

Who knows this may be the trend for some denominations, atheist, business minded, professional staff selling religion like cars coming of the production line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism