U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,804,828 times

Advertisements

What do Atheists think about other Atheists who lead the faithful???

Atheist Ministers Leading the Faithful - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:35 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,751,950 times
At least they're not Pardoners (Canterbury Tales).

Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 PM

16,110 posts, read 17,939,613 times
I think it is interesting, but I think I would feel like a hypocrite if I was an atheist minister. I can't see how you can lead a Christian Church without belief.

I do think the dutch are interesting as they are trying to reinvent their church.

ENInews¦ Featured Articles

Dutch Protestant Church - 1 in 6 clergy atheist/agnostic | MadMikesAmerica

Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,980,742 times

Just have them do a Unitarian service, problem solved...

Old 08-08-2011, 02:25 AM

39,266 posts, read 10,922,331 times
I did watch a series on the history of the church and there was some suggestion about the Church reinventing itself. There may well be some aspect that is importance. The fact seems to be that people gravitate to religious buildings rather the local town hall and get together to light candles when they feel the need.

Without the belief in any sort of personal god, there is still that communal need which is about the community and perhaps the minister as an announcer to the string of reciters and guitar players. And even getting together inside an impressive old building to sing with organ accompaniment in a cathartic release of emotion. Yep, I can see the need and it needn't require anyone including the fellow in the white coat to believe in a mythical being or even pretend to.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:21 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,311,550 times
Since I reverted to Islam, needless to say I have considerable contact with "Born Again" Christians trying to lead me back to the "truth". For some strange reason, I often discover the most persistent ones, turn out to be closet atheists. My own theory is they feel guilt over presenting themselves as avid Christians when they are not. So they compensate by being overly zealous towards me. Sort of like they can justify leaving Christianity, by coaxing me back to it, they want me to be their replacement, I guess.

So far in the 6 years I been Muslim what I learned about Christian Clergymen coming to your house. If they are Catholic, tell them you don't drink and have no booze--they will leave fast., If they are Baptist, lock the refrigerator--they will leave fast, if they are Pentecostal, sit on your wife's lap until they leave.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:38 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,415,120 times
It makes about as much sense as the Chairman for the We-Don't-Collect-Stamps Club...

Old 08-08-2011, 02:57 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,311,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
It makes about as much sense as the Chairman for the We-Don't-Collect-Stamps Club...
I suspect they are much more common than expected. I was just thinking of a few friends I have who I know are atheists. One is a Methodist Bishop. Several are Church pastors.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,683,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What do Atheists think about other Atheists who lead the faithful???

Atheist Ministers Leading the Faithful - ABC News
I feel bad for them, that they are just now coming to this realization. They are going to have a hard time going back to a regular society with no marketable skills.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,980,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavInBend View Post
They're not ministering to atheists. They're closet atheists ministering to Christians.
"Closet Atheists"....LOL...

Atheists will of course come out of the closet as they fight for and gain more social acceptance, I hear it is becoming legal in more and more states for them to marry....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism