U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 PM

40 posts, read 74,549 times

Advertisements

I have read somewhere that Estonia is where nearly 80% of the population is Atheist/Agnostic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,161,374 times
I don't think Estonia is a particularly ideal country to live in though. I mean it's better than many/most of the former Soviets, but I think there's probably reasons none of the atheists here have said much about it as "ideal."

Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 AM

40,457 posts, read 11,407,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't think Estonia is a particularly ideal country to live in though. I mean it's better than many/most of the former Soviets, but I think there's probably reasons none of the atheists here have said much about it as "ideal."
My reason is that I know almost nothing about it. I didn't even know about the high incidence of atheism. You are perhaps a bit quick to impute the hiding of embarrassing secrets to atheists.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 AM

24,639 posts, read 25,018,214 times
Thailand. No one cares.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Thailand. No one cares.
I liked Thailand and Cambodia and the Burmese people (not their Fascist government, though). But the fact is that, I just don't see myself living anywhere else than here.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 AM

13,856 posts, read 23,161,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
My reason is that I know almost nothing about it. I didn't even know about the high incidence of atheism. You are perhaps a bit quick to impute the hiding of embarrassing secrets to atheists.
Oh maybe.

Estonia is a relatively small country that was in the Soviet Union. Former Soviets are sometimes intentionally ignored in studies because their situation, with regard to religion or societal structure, is a tad unique. Estonia is loved by many libertarians as they practice a flat tax and had fairly good development after their independence. They're also one of the freest nations on Earth. So it being that embarrassing could be rather arguable.

I was just thinking of it as a bit negative in terms of homicide, suicide, and generally life-dissatisfaction rates. Still this can be chalked up to just widespread dissatisfaction in many of the former Soviets.

If it makes you feel better when I tried to do a version of this thread on the Christian forum I got no responses, or at least last I checked I didn't. Even the more modern nations that come up fairly high in "importance of religion" (Cyprus, Malta, the US, Greece after a fashion) got no takers. Although possibly that's because I couldn't think of a highly religious Protestant country in the first world, except the US, and said as such.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:34 AM

It's like this. I've been here and there and some places I liked more than others. There was no-where that didn't have some good aspects and also some bad and for different reasons. The UK is far from ideal and not getting noticeably better. It's hard to say why this is and probably wrong to blame it any one aspect.

Any problems with Estonia could be because of a number of reasons and I'd be wary of leaping on a high incidence of atheism as a correlation just as I ought to be wary of pointing up a correlation between a high incidence of Catholicism in the Philippines and some of the problems it has there. They are the same sort of problem we find in Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia - Buddhist, Capitalist with a communist government hanging onto power and Muslim...sorta.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:11 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,771,682 times
Thailand is a religious society, buddhism. But it still sounds good.

I think Switzerland sounds pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism