U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
 
3,684 posts, read 4,964,432 times
Reputation: 2430

Advertisements

Came across this article about this 'study' that found a direct correlation between 'education' and 'religious-ness'.

I'm going to bet that the relationship is in fact a reverse correlation.

Here's the CNN article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2011, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,462 posts, read 1,501,006 times
Reputation: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Came across this article about this 'study' that found a direct correlation between 'education' and 'religious-ness'.

I'm going to bet that the relationship is in fact a reverse correlation.

Here's the CNN article
Why, because you don't agree with it? Standard atheist dodge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 01:52 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,308,674 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Why, because you don't agree with it? Standard atheist dodge.
No because it is a pretty safe bet and nothing to do with Atheism. The Media is almost universally atrocious at reporting on Scientific Studies. The reason for this is that the Media quite happily breaks one of the main laws of Statistics and they do it because it gives them a good story that sells papers.

The law is "Correlation does not imply causation".

It is a very simple rule but it is inconvenient for the media to follow it so they ignore it.

I have read the study in question a number of times and I can tell you there is no link at all described or displayed in the study. Read it yourself and correct me if you believe I am wrong. What there in fact is however is a few vague correlations and unsurprising ones at that and there are many well known reasons why higher education correlates with things like Mass Attendance.

For example when the school parents wish to send their children to are run by... or the entrance acceptance is controlled by... someone of faith or someone involved in a church then people tend to start attending church in order to get in the "good books" of the controller and as we know in many countries the education system is still in the grip of the Churches. My own country of Ireland for example still has the majority of it's schools under Catholic Patronage.

And the speaker in the article linked above confirms this. He says it is dependent on what you consider "religious" and he adds “If it’s simply attending religious services, then no. Highly educated people are not less religious; in fact, they’re more religious. But if it’s saying the Bible is the literal word of God and saying that only one religion is the true religion, then they are less religious”

This fits exactly what I just said. I know what someone like you would LIKE this study to be "proving" but I can tell you it does not in any way show anything that the likes of you would like it to. In fact it appears the study is really saying that the more educated a person is the more they feel obliged to ACT like they are religious. That is both no surprise AND pretty typical of the type of dishonesty religion engenders in people.

As I said however, I am very open to being wrong on this so go read the actual study yourself as I have (it is available and as the article says it will be published in more places soon so will be even easier to obtain) and attempt to show anything I have said to be wrong instead of using your usual one liner ad hominem digs to cop out of actually engaging with the real issue and arguing an actual case of your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 09:49 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,772,213 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Came across this article about this 'study' that found a direct correlation between 'education' and 'religious-ness'.

I'm going to bet that the relationship is in fact a reverse correlation.

Here's the CNN article
Yes, everyone should call CNN and mention that titles have implications. Using the word "religious" instead of "spiritual" might have been a mistake, unless they are trying to pamper their more "Christian" audiences that believe "spiritual" is a code-word that means "not that Christian".

If everyone reads the article, however, they wont be as ignorant as to be mislead by the title.

They should have also explained the difference between "education" and "intelligence". actually, they might have done that, I don't remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,462 posts, read 1,501,006 times
Reputation: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
The Media is almost universally atrocious at reporting on Scientific Studies. .
But it's spot on target when you get media studies that say that the more educated are less relgious, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,462 posts, read 1,501,006 times
Reputation: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Yes, everyone should call CNN and mention that titles have implications. Using the word "religious" instead of "spiritual" might have been a mistake, unless they are trying to pamper their more "Christian" audiences that believe "spiritual" is a code-word that means "not that Christian".

If everyone reads the article, however, they wont be as ignorant as to be mislead by the title.

They should have also explained the difference between "education" and "intelligence". actually, they might have done that, I don't remember.
Hmm... but that's not what the article said. If the opposite were said in the article, you would have jumped up and down agreeing with it. CNN is no friend of the spiritual world. Ah, the intelllectual dishonesty of the atheist...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,462 posts, read 1,501,006 times
Reputation: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Corleone View Post
No, the article said that people who believe in literal truth of the bible are LESS educated. Are you even reading the study??
I most certainly did read it. I'm wondering why the OP was against it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,772,213 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Hmm... but that's not what the article said. If the opposite were said in the article, you would have jumped up and down agreeing with it. CNN is no friend of the spiritual world. Ah, the intelllectual dishonesty of the atheist...
what do you mean? please explain. you want me to quote you the article parts that lead me to my belief that the Scientists understood the difference between education and intelligence? I will remain mad at you untill you take that back, or explain it to me fully why you make such assertions ~~>
1. CNN is anti-spiritual
2. I am a hypocrite
3. I (or the article) am/is atheistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
1,462 posts, read 1,501,006 times
Reputation: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
what do you mean? please explain. you want me to quote you the article parts that lead me to my belief that the Scientists understood the difference between education and intelligence? I will remain mad at you untill you take that back, or explain it to me fully why you make such assertions.

Please, I would be devastated if you remained mad at me!

I'm merely puzzled by the original poster --he dismisses the entire article as nonsense. I'm saying that unless the article completely agrees with what YOU (atheists) believe, then it's garbage. You can't substitute Christian for spiritual. It's intellectually dishonest and I stand by that statement.

Maybe the OP should explain why he dismisses the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,772,213 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Please, I would be devastated if you remained mad at me!

I'm merely puzzled by the original poster --he dismisses the entire article as nonsense. I'm saying that unless the article completely agrees with what YOU (atheists) believe, then it's garbage. You can't substitute Christian for spiritual. It's intellectually dishonest and I stand by that statement.

Maybe the OP should explain why he dismisses the article.
How DARE the likes of YOU call ME an atheist? It's not that I don't believe you, its that YOU don't believe me! I believe in God as the fountain and sustainor of ALL that is good, like science and agnosticism and schools and charity and friendliness and beauty, etc etc. for there would not be enough books in this world to fill with the glories of God.
How dare you misunderstand me? I wanted the writer of the article to change the words in his title from "Religious" to "spiritual" nothing to do with Christiantiy (end your delerium of persecution, no one cares about your biases).

The O.P. and others clearly explained that the title was misleading... and many questioned the study itself because it is Psychology, and you are always supposed to have a degree of doubt about their studies.
this was only ONE study, so it SHOULD be questioned. I am not an atheist, I merely pretend to represent them as I used to be one, just like I used to be a Christian, so I am very knowledgeable about Christian arguments as well.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 08-12-2011 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top