U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,750,815 times

Advertisements

The following is a video of pictures and quotes from Albert Einstein, a confessing agnostic. I was inspired by Tantalust's thread "Bertrand Russell on God" Russell was also a confessing agnostic. Both men happened to be agnostic atheists. In the sense that Einstein was a pantheist and believed in "mystical stuff" and Russell was a philosopher that left Christianity.

Einstein on God - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 05:12 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,495,155 times
By agnostic atheist, do you mean they really don't know that there's a God, but are tending to think that there is no God? Isn't an atheist someone who has definitively decided that there IS no God? How can you doubt there is a God, and at the same say there is no God?

Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 PM

16,108 posts, read 17,930,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
By agnostic atheist, do you mean they really don't know that there's a God, but are tending to think that there is no God? Isn't an atheist someone who has definitively decided that there IS no God? How can you doubt there is a God, and at the same say there is no God?
Atheist means no *belief* in god. Agnostic means no *knowledge* of a god. They are two different things and they are quite compatible in terms of beliefs.

Most atheists will give you a .01% chance that there is a god. Most do not, however, think that that god is very likely to be the god of the Bible or Islam or Judaism or any of the religious books.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 PM

30,911 posts, read 31,804,732 times
Over history there have been approximately 63,000 religious groups, many of them polytheists, and most with different gods. This means that a Christian or any religious person today has less than a 1 in 63,000 chance of worshiping the correct god, providing that such a god exists....Therefore even the religious are atheists except for the one god they worship....

The more extreme estimate is far beyond 63,000 gods...

The modern dominant (that is, have the most adherents) religions are monotheistic, but they are few in number. Wikipedia lists 309 Hindu deities. The ancient Hittites claimed to have 1000 deities in their pantheon. So for a rough estimate of the average number of deities per religion, we'll take the average of these 3 figures, giving 440 deities per religion.

This gives an estimate of 28,000,000 Deities historically.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
If you see the video, Einstein explains that he has his own definition of God and that he is an atheist to the average Christian definiton.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Over history there have been approximately 63,000 religious groups, many of them polytheists, and most with different gods. This means that a Christian or any religious person today has less than a 1 in 63,000 chance of worshiping the correct god, providing that such a god exists....Therefore even the religious are atheists except for the one god they worship....

The more extreme estimate is far beyond 63,000 gods...

The modern dominant (that is, have the most adherents) religions are monotheistic, but they are few in number. Wikipedia lists 309 Hindu deities. The ancient Hittites claimed to have 1000 deities in their pantheon. So for a rough estimate of the average number of deities per religion, we'll take the average of these 3 figures, giving 440 deities per religion.

This gives an estimate of 28,000,000 Deities historically.
Not the mention that the Monotheist faiths believe in Jin (angels and demons) and other magical creatures. However, I suppose they are monotheistic in that they don't allow angel worship.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:36 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,168,312 times
Quote:
By agnostic atheist, do you mean they really don't know that there's a God, but are tending to think that there is no God?
Yes! That is correct.
Agnostic= Without knowledge. I think it is not knowable whether god exists or not.
Atheist= Not a theist. Since I can't know whether or not god/gods exists, and I have no evidence of any gods, I have no reason to believe in them.

Quote:
Isn't an atheist someone who has definitively decided that there IS no God? How can you doubt there is a God, and at the same say there is no God?
There are few atheists who say definitively that there is no god. Most agree the likelyhood of personal god existing, such as your god, is nil.

This is just a rewording of nana's excellent post. Maybe if we repeat ourselves often enough, you might finally understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053
Atheist means no *belief* in god. Agnostic means no *knowledge* of a god. They are two different things and they are quite compatible in terms of beliefs.

Most atheists will give you a .01% chance that there is a god. Most do not, however, think that that god is very likely to be the god of the Bible or Islam or Judaism or any of the religious books.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:15 AM

39,242 posts, read 10,913,531 times
Nicely explained, Sizzles.

Agnosticism - a knowledge position (I don't know whether there is a god or not)

a- theism (a belief position) 'Since I don't know whether there is a god or not, I will not believe in one until I do know'.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 AM

I am sorry, although Einstein said he agreed more with the Agnostics and Pantheists, It appears he was more ignostic, than anything. Russell, however, was assuredly agnostic. Einstein mentions how to a Jesuit priest (Christian denomination), he was indeed an atheist.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:16 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,929,762 times
Quote:
"As to the Christian system of faith, it appears to me as a species of Atheism — a sort of religious denial of God. It professes to believe in a man rather than in God. It is a compound made up chiefly of Manism with but little Deism, and is as near to Atheism as twilight is to darkness. It introduces between man and his Maker an opaque body, which it calls a Redeemer, as the moon introduces her opaque self between the earth and the sun, and it produces by this means a religious, or an irreligious, eclipse of light. It has put the whole orbit of reason into shade."
- Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason (1793)

That quote, bodes well with Einstein's take on the typical religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism