U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:48 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,889,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
This is, at the very least, a borderline nonsense statement. There are any number of weird conclusions that could be arrived at based on your hypothetical "illogical" God.

I personally have no use for an "illogical" God.
LOL. Then you must completely discard the "god" of The Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:20 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,858,792 times
Well I guess it's too bad for our hit-and-run troll thread starter that secular morality has nothing to do with killing and eating people whenever one feels like it.

It's not our fault that the morality of atheists and agnostics goes completely some people's heads. There's no point in trying engage them in conversation. They'll just respond with snide remarks and thinly-veiled insults to make up for their confusion.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 AM

52 posts, read 58,706 times
Thank y'all fellow atheologians. Please post at that new thread covenant morality for humanity- the presumption of humanism.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,601,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendsley View Post
Thankfully not everyone has the consistency of Ted Bundy:

Then I learned that all moral judgments are “value judgments,” that all value judgments are subjective, and that none can be proved to be either “right” or “wrong.” I even read somewhere that the Chief justice of the United States had written that the American Constitution expressed nothing more than collective value judgments. Believe it or not, I figured out for myself what apparently the Chief Justice couldn’t figure out for himself: that if the rationality of one value judgment was zero, multiplying it by millions would not make it one whit more rational. Nor is there any “reason” to obey the law for anyone, like myself, who has the boldness and daring — the strength of character — to throw off its shackles. I discovered that to become truly free, truly unfettered, I had to become truly uninhibited. And I quickly discovered that the greatest obstacle to my freedom, the greatest block and limitation to it, consists in the insupportable “value judgment” that I was bound to respect the rights of others. I asked myself, who were these “others”? Other human beings, with human rights? Why is it more wrong to kill a human animal than any other animal, a pig or a sheep or a steer? Is your life more to you than a hog’s life to a hog? Why should I be willing to sacrifice my pleasure more for the one than for the other? Surely, you would not, in this age of scientific enlightenment, declare that God or nature has marked some pleasures as “moral” or “good” and others a “immoral” or “bad”? In any case, let me assure you, my dear young lady, that there is absolutely no comparison between the pleasure I might take in eating ham and the pleasure I anticipate in raping and murdering you. That is the honest conclusion to which my education has led me after the most conscientious examination of my spontaneous and uninhibited self.1
Ted Bundy was baptized a Mormon but later claimed to be a Methodist...

Old 10-13-2012, 04:32 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,203,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Ted Bundy was baptized a Mormon but later claimed to be a Methodist...
If all the Christians were turned loose, the prisons would be a ghost town.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:33 PM

51 posts, read 31,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendsley View Post
Thankfully not everyone has the consistency of Ted Bundy:

Then I learned that all moral judgments are “value judgments,” that all value judgments are subjective, and that none can be proved to be either “right” or “wrong.” I even read somewhere that the Chief justice of the United States had written that the American Constitution expressed nothing more than collective value judgments. Believe it or not, I figured out for myself what apparently the Chief Justice couldn’t figure out for himself: that if the rationality of one value judgment was zero, multiplying it by millions would not make it one whit more rational. Nor is there any “reason” to obey the law for anyone, like myself, who has the boldness and daring — the strength of character — to throw off its shackles. I discovered that to become truly free, truly unfettered, I had to become truly uninhibited. And I quickly discovered that the greatest obstacle to my freedom, the greatest block and limitation to it, consists in the insupportable “value judgment” that I was bound to respect the rights of others. I asked myself, who were these “others”? Other human beings, with human rights? Why is it more wrong to kill a human animal than any other animal, a pig or a sheep or a steer? Is your life more to you than a hog’s life to a hog? Why should I be willing to sacrifice my pleasure more for the one than for the other? Surely, you would not, in this age of scientific enlightenment, declare that God or nature has marked some pleasures as “moral” or “good” and others a “immoral” or “bad”? In any case, let me assure you, my dear young lady, that there is absolutely no comparison between the pleasure I might take in eating ham and the pleasure I anticipate in raping and murdering you. That is the honest conclusion to which my education has led me after the most conscientious examination of my spontaneous and uninhibited self.1
I'm always impressed when someone takes the self-serving statements of Ted Bundy at face value.

And I'm disturbed at those who put forth the implicit suggestion that, but for the absence of divine retribution, there is no reason not to rape and murder people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism