U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:20 PM

3,564 posts, read 6,182,415 times

Advertisements

So tons of my friends are posting right now the following on Facebook

"Don't buy the new Pepsi can coming out with pics of the Empire State building and the Pledge of Allegiance on them. Pepsi left out 2 little words in the pledge "Under God." Pepsi said they didn't want to offend anyone. So if we don't buy them, they won't be offended when they don't receive ourů money with the words "In God We Trust"on it. How fast can u re-post?"

How HIGHLY offensive and Anti-American. 9-11 is about those who had their lives taken away, who sacrificed so others could live and they STILL find a way to make it about them. Not every person who died on 9-11 was Christian. There were jewish, muslim, buddhists etc. Of course I point this out (I'm a very dedicated athiest) and this pissed them off to no end when tell them to stop being selfish and making 9-11 about them. As if having it printed on money and prayers before gov't meets and in our pledge isn't enough. Thoughts opinions on people posting this on Fb?

Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,297,298 times
9/11 was a world disaster. People forget that it was the "World Trade Center" not the American or USA trade center. In the Towers were businesses and workers from virtually every Nation.

But short memories are trying to turn the attack against the world into an attack on American Christianity.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:48 PM

19,837 posts, read 19,932,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

"Don't buy the new Pepsi can coming out with pics of the Empire State building and the Pledge of Allegiance on them. Pepsi left out 2 little words in the pledge "Under God." Pepsi said they didn't want to offend anyone. So if we don't buy them, they won't be offended when they don't receive ourů money with the words "In God We Trust"on it. How fast can u re-post?"

How HIGHLY offensive and Anti-American. 9-11 is about those who had their lives taken away, who sacrificed so others could live and they STILL find a way to make it about them. Not every person who died on 9-11 was Christian. There were jewish, muslim, buddhists etc. Of course I point this out (I'm a very dedicated athiest) and this pissed them off to no end when tell them to stop being selfish and making 9-11 about them. As if having it printed on money and prayers before gov't meets and in our pledge isn't enough. Thoughts opinions on people posting this on Fb?
Too bad I don't drink soda.
I'd buy my years supply of the cans with the proper original pledge on them

Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,494,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

Last time I checked, freedom of speech was still on life support in this country, so they have a right to do that. So instead of offending, at most, the 3% of the US that don't believe in God, they offended the 97% that do. Welcome to the People's Republic of America. That makes absolutely no sense.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:57 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,494,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
9/11 was a world disaster. People forget that it was the "World Trade Center" not the American or USA trade center. In the Towers were businesses and workers from virtually every Nation.

But short memories are trying to turn the attack against the world into an attack on American Christianity.
Since when does "under God" mean Christianity? You are remembering Jews, Muslims, and other theists who believe in God as well, no?

Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,312,941 times
With all the war, famine, disease, crime, cruelty, pollution, natural disasters and economic chaos in the world, people are worried about what is printed on soda cans.

If that isn't testimony to the absolute stupidity of many Americans, I don't know what is.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:00 PM

457 posts, read 1,395,937 times
Put this link on their FB wall.

snopes.com: Pepsi Removes 'Under God'

Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,912,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
put this link on their fb wall.

snopes.com: Pepsi removes 'under god'
end game!!! :d

Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,297,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Since when does "under God" mean Christianity? You are remembering Jews, Muslims, and other theists who believe in God as well, no?
True

I was just thinking back to 1954 when I was a teenager and we were proud the words were added. At the time we took it as denoting the USA was Christian. But you are correct the words should not offend any theists.

Moot point anyhow as it turns out the whole thing was a hoax.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Additionally people almost seem to forget 9-11 wasn't just a "World Trade Center" disaster. There was the plane that hit the Pentagon and the one that crashed in Pennsylvania. Granted those two were more "American", maybe, but I believe there were Europeans on one or both planes.

I don't drink Pepsi anyway so I wouldn't be buying this can. Still I don't know that people intentionally not buying this can is a sign they're un-American or callous to the victims. It would be better though if they made this "protest" added a little bit like "And anyway don't buy pop-cans to show support, give that money to the New York and DC fire departments" or something like that. Granted a boycott of Pepsi for leaving out "under God" would still be offensive to atheists, understandably so, but at least they'd be adding something others could get behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or