U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,747,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
The video said she died from a condition usually associated with earthquakes and bombings, after a seven-hour beating. Must have been the flu..
Erm, the flu is associated with earthquakes and bombings? When did this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 AM

157 posts, read 445,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
The video said she died from a condition usually associated with earthquakes and bombings, after a seven-hour beating. Must have been the flu..

Yes, definitely the flu.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:08 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,125,798 times
Moderator cut: delete i still say that for all the problems Christians cause, you can't really blame religion for this one. People are going to be crazy regardless of all the pat excuses that religion gives them. If a person has it in them to beat their child to death, then it doesn't matter if they do it in the name of god, yaweh, allah or the celestial tea pot. That child would have been beaten to death regardless, because the parents are crazy!

If you remove an aspect of the reason, and the action still happens, you can't blame that aspect. In this case, if you hypothectically changed the parents to atheists, they still would have been crazy and the child would have still been beaten to death. You can't blame the religion.

The reason this is such a sticking point for me is because religious people are much more insidious and deceptive at pushing their religion on us, and at legislating religion at the federal level. When stories like this get into the news, then people become less vigilant about ACTUAL religious problems like prayer in schools and the religious litmus test for elected officials.

We have to stay vigilant if we want to preserve our secular society, and when we make hay over obvious religious nutjobs like the parents in this story, the people are less inclined to pay attention when we make hay over less obvious religious nutjobs that are actually doing real harm to society.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-16-2011 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 12:13 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,291 times
I watched the film. I am glad to say that as a self-righteous, self-proclaimed non-theist I do not abuse my children. I greew up in a fundy church and home, and yes abuse was the norm, but remember there is a great degree of ignorance within the fundy movement. After all if there were no ignorance, there would be no fundy church !
The parents here, especially the dad, will enjoy prison. Child Abusers are treated like the dirt they are therein, and it is doubtful his faith in a diety will save him from the abuse he will endure from his fellow prisoners. Only difference is, he will be on the receiving end, Literally.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:15 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,282,205 times
Just my view. A spanking is done with an open empty hand, applied to a not potentially lethal part of the body(ie: buttocks, back of upper leg), leaves no marks, is done with restrained force and never more than a few hits (less than 5).

If it is done with an object, leaves marks, is anyplace besides the buttocks or upper leg, done with force, lasts more than a few hits, it has moved to a beating.

If it leaves broken skin, a bruise, or is in any other part of the body it is advancing to being a severe beating. Beyond that I feel it should be considered murder or attempted murder.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 PM

16,437 posts, read 19,136,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
One big error I see many people make is the assumption that the Phrase "Spare the rod, Spoil the child" comes from the bible. It is not found in the Bible,, without needing to resort to misconceptions.
Correct. What the Bible says is "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him." Proverbs 13:24

Old 08-16-2011, 12:25 PM

30,879 posts, read 31,761,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Oh please.

Spanking a child is NOT beating a child. Give me a break. Coporal punishment is not dangerous. You have a couple of nut-cases who beat the bejesus out of their kids and all of a sudden "spanking" becomes demonized.

Spanking is a perfectly good way to get a child's attention. I support a good whack on the tush when circumstances warrant. But there is no excuse for beating a child. I don't care WHAT they are guilty of doing.

But please don't call it spanking.

20yrsinBranson
Let me understand your thinking here...You think a person several times larger and stronger than the child he/she is hitting is not bullying and somehow teaches the defenseless a lesson of some sort?

The only thing a person who beats their kids teaches the child is that violence and bullying is ok

Last edited by sanspeur; 08-16-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Let me understand your thinking here...You think a person several times larger and stronger than the child he/she is hitting is not bullying and somehow teaches the defenseless a lesson of some sort?

The only thing a person who beats their kids teaches the child is that violence and bullying id ok
Agreed.

the only justification, if there can be justification, for spanking a child, is it serves as an outlet for the adults anger.

I wont speak ill of those who do use spanking for discipline as it may for them defuse the situation enough that they do no severe harm. But, perhaps anger management classes for some parents would be the better choice.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:36 PM

15,310 posts, read 10,339,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Correct. What the Bible says is "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him." Proverbs 13:24
Do you think it is acceptable for two adults to hit each other?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Do you think it is acceptable for two adults to hit each other?

It does teach you not to hit "Big Al" the local Hell's Angels representative if you are only 5'6 and only weigh 140 pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism