Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times

Advertisements

The girl who died and the girl who was injured were beaten with plumbing supplies. Look at that weapon and think about hitting a child with it. There was another little boy who was killed in the same way 4 years ago. How many more are injured? We don't know because these folks hide.

What people do not seem to get is that the *way* in the Pearl's book not only condones abuse, but encourages it.

A Review of To Train Up A Child by the Pearls | The Wartburg Watch

Quote:
It is patently clear from the start that this is a book on “Obedience Training” – which is the sub-heading on page 2. Incredibly, Michael Pearl (who I believe is the primary contributor to the book) proposes that children be trained like dogs. Under the above heading he writes:

“Careful training can make a dog perfectly obedient… If you wait until your dog is displaying unacceptable behavior before you rebuke (or kick) him, you will have a foot-shy mutt who is always sulking around seeing what he can get away with before being screamed at. Where there is an absence of training, you can no more rebuke and whip a child into acceptable behavior than you can the family dog. No amount of discipline can make up for lack of training. Proper training always works on every child.” (p. 2)

In the pages that follow, Pearl explains that parents must commence “training” BEFORE the child’s behavior becomes unacceptable. He explains that discipline, while a part of training, is insufficient to elicit the proper behavior. Therefore, training must start almost immediately after birth. Here’s one of the first examples of obedience training in the book – biting babies. Pearl explains:

“One particularly painful experience of nursing mothers is the biting baby. My wife did not waste time finding a cure. When the baby bit, she pulled hair (an alternative has to be sought for bald-headed babies). Understand, the baby is not being punished, just being conditioned.” (p. 7)

He explains that what is happening in the baby’s brain is that this information is being “unconsciously stored”. After being corrected several times, the baby has been conditioned not to bite the mother’s nipple. “This is not discipline. It is obedience training,” Pearl rationalizes. Well, here’s what I call it — CRUELTY.

Guess what…the child is “Never Too Young To Train”, according to the heading on page 8. Pearl explains that beginning in infancy, there is a battle for control. “Someone is going to be conditioned,” Pearl writes. He explains that it’s a battle of wills between the tender-hearted mother and the self-centered infant.
Here's a more extensive article at Salon.com

Spare the quarter-inch plumbing supply line, spoil the child - Lynn Harris - Salon.com

Spare the quarter-inch plumbing supply line, spoil the child - Lynn Harris - Salon.com

Quote:
"If you want a child who will integrate into the New World Order and wait his turn in line for condoms, a government funded abortion, sexually transmitted disease treatment, psychological evaluation and a mark on the forehead," writes Pearl in "To Train Up a Child," "then follow the popular guidelines in education, entertainment and discipline, but if you want a son or daughter of God, you will have to do it God's way."
If you are a Christian parent, please take a look at this website:

peaceful parenting: Train Up a Child in the Way He Should Go...

James Dobson is another one you need to stay away from. He, too, promotes religious child abuse.

Daily Kos: James Dobson and religiously motivated child abuse

And Gary Ezzo of Babywise
On Becoming Babywise: A Flawed Parenting Philosophy?
AAP News article questions Babywise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 02:40 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Oh please.

Spanking a child is NOT beating a child. Give me a break. Coporal punishment is not dangerous. You have a couple of nut-cases who beat the bejesus out of their kids and all of a sudden "spanking" becomes demonized.

Spanking is a perfectly good way to get a child's attention. I support a good whack on the tush when circumstances warrant. But there is no excuse for beating a child. I don't care WHAT they are guilty of doing.

But please don't call it spanking.

20yrsinBranson
Semantics.

This is right up there with "it's OK to beat your wife, as long as the rod you use is no thicker than your thumb."

Old 08-16-2011, 04:59 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,033 times
Default She was beaten for 7 hours straight

But they took breaks to pray.

Rest in paradise little angel.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:03 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,033 times
Quote:
Hold on just a minute. Since when does "spanking" (or beating for that matter), make you THROW UP? I think these two girls were sick (the flu maybe), or they ate something bad, and the girl that died aspirated her vomit which killed her. I think this whole thing is being totally blown out of proportion by a government that wants to CONTROL how people raise their children.

If anyone has more detailed information, I'd love to see it.

20yrsinBranson
You are very ignorant of the facts. Any trauma/pain to the body can cause vomiting...including rape. I've had several sinus headaches to the point it made me vomit. Go educate yourself!

Old 08-16-2011, 05:16 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
You are very ignorant of the facts. Any trauma/pain to the body can cause vomiting...including rape. I've had several sinus headaches to the point it made me vomit. Go educate yourself!
Just a personal observation. the first time I broke a leg, I vomited from the pain.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
One big error I see many people make is the assumption that the Phrase "Spare the rod, Spoil the child" comes from the bible. It is not found in the Bible, comes from a poem written by Samuel Butler in 1644. Yet many Christians use this as justification for atrocities such as this.

I am not Christian, but out of fairness let us blame idiots and not say this is Christianity. I personally have enough disagreements about Christianity, without needing to resort to misconceptions.
I used to think "spare the rod, spoil the child" was a command I always imagined an Uncle type saying: "put the belt away, give the kid some candy"

Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
You are correct. I did some research, it's called rhabdomyolysis. It can be caused by extensive muscle damage such as you would find in the crushing injuries of a bombing or earthquake. One of the symptoms is vomiting.

In order for this child to die from this disorder, she would have had to undergo a lot (I mean a lot) of very, very serious torture for an extended period of time.

Since I do not know all the details of this case, I must reserve judgment. I am skeptical that the discipline she received would result in this kind of injury. If, indeed, these parents were responsible for the death due to this kind of treatment, then I am confident that the America Justice system will punish them accordingly.

And beatings still aren't spanking.

20yrsinBranson
I've been exposed to Cuban atheists (or Santaria) who brutally spank their 12 year old daughters until they pee themselves for talking to boys.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
The reason I amModerator cut: edit about it is because it perverts the word for the purposes of leftist nanny-state fear mongers who will write BILLS forbidding you to spank your children in the name of stopping child murder and abuse.

That's why I make such a big deal. Call a crime what it is. Do not mis-label it for your own political agenda.

20yrsinBranson
"leftist nanny-state fear mongers"? Yeah, they're out to save your child's bottom!

no one cares about normal spanking. only about brutal beatings (brutal spanking included)

But the fact remains that reason and incentive are far better ways to educate children then "you do this, you get beaten" there is no reason behind such punishments. spanking is useless cuz your not going to be around always to beat your children.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I've been exposed to Cuban atheists (or Santaria) who brutally spank their 12 year old daughters until they pee themselves for talking to boys.
The question is.... does it work? There aren't many statistics online for Cuban atheists (or Santaria-ists).

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Correct. What the Bible says is "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him." Proverbs 13:24
haa If that were true then "He who spares the rod hates his aging father, but he who loves him is careful to set him straight with a beating." ridiculous sayings, rod-beatings do not give people the ability to reason correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism