U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 AM

39,083 posts, read 10,842,814 times

Advertisements

Well, that's an awful lot of maybes and the story just seems to get more odd with the fellow lying to you (perhaps) about his atheist father when I said it didn't seem a likely thing for someone to have said. If he was trying to explain away his odd rituals as 'just for luck' because he or she thought you were atheist that would only mean that he was more likely really a believer.

Remember "Luminous Truth." Porkies make the baby Jizzuz cry.

The falsity is not in the occurrence but your tweaking of it to make it point accusingly at atheism. And I don't recall that anyone apart from you suggested the theory that 'atheism stops spanking' though someone noted that it seemed to be the theist posters who appeared to be in favour of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 AM

16,098 posts, read 17,895,645 times
I'm sure there are atheists who beat children, but on every atheist parent board I have been on, most of the parents don't even spank lightly. I am sure some do, but they don't have a book that supports their doing it.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,741,265 times
Well, I suppose we all agree. And perhaps my comments were a distraction from the issue at hand. It could have been that they were Catholics that lost faith, or other things. However, I tried to represent these "uneducated" people as best as I could, by what I saw and was told. My main point in the beginning was to introduce the question of whether brutal spankings were considered illegal beatings...but it morphed into how atheism is not a set of morality or a full set of personal beliefs. I suppose we all understand this. This is the problem with seeing atheism as a "community" when it isn't. Atheism is merely the disbelief in the existence of gods (worship deserving beings which are objectively better than humans). If anything else, it merely points to anti-authoritarian beliefs, though only when the authority is unreasonable to the individual atheist. There are hardly any legitimate implications to atheism, just like there are little implications to mere theism. I do value highly people who are correctly educated by agnostic science, and most interested atheists always seem to understand, unlike far too many theists; who instead of being reasonable, chose to be religionist. Atheists, of course, have one less concept to blame for natural occurences and their personal actions... and I highly value this perspective of personal responcibility, which leads less to idiotic dogmas and adverse actions.

AREQUIPA, what is a porkie? I wouldn't want such accusations to fester among our readers and on-line community.

1st edit ~ though i suggest people not convert to Christianity, or any currently established religion, as it solves no moral or any problems whatsoever, here is a nice post that i found that oddly enough relates to what I'm talking about, especially the ex-atheist talking in the video. http://www.city-data.com/forum/20522479-post19.html

2nd edit ~ of course, he should be more thankful of the doctors instead of the amazing healing power of prayer, and less biased towards believing his visons, but I suppose there is nothing like personal experience to make you belief in Mary's ghost and other "unspeakable" vision . (I don't believe in visions or Mary's ghost btw.) Also, I doubt the heart attack, healing, and visions were aquired by God's magical intervention against natural processes.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 08-19-2011 at 10:25 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,854,728 times
Once again ancient stupidity rears its ugly head.

Toss them both in jail and throw away the key. Whatever bad happens to these two, I hope they interpret it as God's judgement.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:14 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times
What I don't understand is why the Pearls have not been arrested for inciting violence towards children...I'm sure they are the cause of many other cases of child abuse, and in my opinion should share responsibility in this sad case.

Meet the Pearls - No Greater Joy Ministries (http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/who-is-ngj/meet-the-pearls/ - broken link)

PS...I sent them a nice little "love" note telling them what I think of them.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM

39,083 posts, read 10,842,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

AREQUIPA, what is a porkie? I wouldn't want such accusations to fester among our readers and on-line community.
Rhyming slang - Pork Pie. Or not playing with a perfectly straight bat, in cricket parlance. Not saying you were, deliberately, but suggesting that you examine your presented material for inconsistencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism