U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:02 AM

19,788 posts, read 19,891,223 times

Advertisements

Is there a commonality among atheists when it comes to control versus trust?
Do you prefer to drive rather than be a passenger....make the plans rather than just go along with them.....double check others decisions,lead rather than follow,etc?
You can see where this could be going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 05:10 AM

4,348 posts, read 2,974,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Is there a commonality among atheists when it comes to control versus trust?
Do you prefer to drive rather than be a passenger....make the plans rather than just go along with them.....double check others decisions,lead rather than follow,etc?
You can see where this could be going.
I have a moral obligation to distrust my superiors, and to let them know when they do something wrong. I don't usually do this, out of a fear of repurcussions, but that's because I'm a hypocrite. Even someone with an I.Q. of seventy has a moral duty to tell his or her superiors if they did something wrong.

The lower someone's I.Q. is, the more he or she needs college and the more he or she needs difficult classes. The shyer someone is, the more he or she should throw his or herself into as many wild parties as possible. If someone's overweight and weak and he wants to become skinnier and stronger, he should join sports teams.

Emberassment is usually weakness. The idea of respecting one's elders is a good one, but the idea of listening to them unquestioningly is garbage.

The order of best to worst type of person is the following:
Best: selfless and enthusiastic Okay: selfish and enthusiasticly aggressive about it Worst: selfish and self hating

Also, the saying that we have two ears in order to listen twice as much as talk, and the saying that one cannot listen while his or her mouth is moving, is incorrect. The more accurate saying is that the mouth is larger than the ears because more is learned through talking than through listening. Through talking, corrections to ideas can be made, whereas through silence, they can't. Most people should probably be less careful about what they say, if they think they might have good ideas, in order to encourage cumulative societal growth.

Last edited by Clintone; 08-24-2011 at 06:23 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 05:23 AM

2,637 posts, read 10,933,841 times
It's not control versus trust. I am not a control freak. I'd rather be the passenger than the driver. I will lead, not because I want to, but because usually I have to because no one else will. I don't want to be the one making the plans, I want to be part of the consensus.

What I am is innately skeptical, even of those in a position of authority. I can't force myself to believe things that make no sense, so I ask for explanations for logical problems. Telling me that it is wrong to ask questions or that god works in mysterious ways or whatever is and always has been wholly unsatisfactory to me and I view it as an indication that the "authority" figure in question doesn't really understand what they are claiming to be true, either. This was my Sunday School experience in a nutshell, before they kicked me out for "asking difficult questions". If I recall correctly I was four years old when I stumped the Sunday School teacher and they asked my parents to not bring me back. Before that I was only suspicious of certain things that made no sense, like Noah's Ark, but when she could not answer my questions and got angry at me for asking them, I knew then that it was a bunch of crap that she was expecting me to simply swallow down like all the other kids. Guess my gag reflex is more developed.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:46 AM

39,041 posts, read 10,831,421 times
I tend to see myself as participating in a committee. If some under - justified suggestions for action seem to be proposed I'll step in. If it seems a good, sound idea I'll endorse it. I think maybe this is avoiding a bifurcation fallacy - that there is control or following and no third option. I think there is, has to be and should be.

While the person is a waste of space who sits and says nothing and then moans afterwards to anyone who will listen that he doesn't like what was decided, I have a deep - seated dislike and distrust of the fellow who put forward their own preferred view, dismisses all others and takes it as a unanimous decision. Even if they are the Boss.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:38 PM

1,988 posts, read 4,632,183 times
I am a control freak when it comes to what I consider the big things - one that risk my life (such as driving), my credit (I take care of making sure bills are paid on time and that I make enough money to cover everything in case he loses his job or decides to leave or whatever), and my career (I tend to lead, but in an affable non-offensive way). I don't sweat the little things like what's for dinner, what brand of toilet paper to get, how to organize the pantry, or how my tee shirts get folded.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,728,283 times
I am not a control freak at all. I am very egalitarian.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:51 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,956,366 times
I have always questioned authority. It has gotten me into trouble in the past, especially in school, but I refuse to not question authority, that is the trait of the ignorant.

That is one of the major flaws I see in believers, the adamantly refuse to question what they are told to believe, they just follow along like mindless sheep.

As I watch this country crumble I recognize that it is primarily due to the majority that refuse to question. Refuse to demand the proof of WMD's but instead just accepted the lies from the self professed born again buffoon that said god told him to invade Iraq.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,974,576 times
Too many people just go along with whatever sounds good to them, without applying any critical thinking. I don't insist on leading rather than following and would rather not, if only because there isn't much one can come up with that is truly original. However, if I think no one has it right, I'll strike out on my own path.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,363,322 times
questioning authority caused the biggest problems for me in school, especially if the authority wanted me to do as I was told or follow them without question...me being in control or not, is not what I have a problem with

Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,956,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
questioning authority caused the biggest problems for me in school, especially if the authority wanted me to do as I was told or follow them without question...me being in control or not, is not what I have a problem with
Yea..... When authority doesn't have a valid reason the question "Why?" sure seems to get their panties in a wad.

The response is all to often "how dare you ask why?" Those that don't ask are doomed to merely be mindless followers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism