U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2011, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Rivendell
1,387 posts, read 2,166,868 times
Reputation: 1650

Advertisements

I am going to vote for the person that I think will do the best job.

So far, none of the republicans look even remotely appealing. Well, maybe Huntsman is less offensive than the others. I would vote republican if they had a great candidate.

Obama has been a huge disappointment to me.
It would be nice if he would grow a spine. I will probably vote for him again, since no one looks any better at this time.

Maybe we will get a great 3rd party candidate.

 
Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,986,990 times
Reputation: 5074
I agree. Obama has disappointed me as well, both with some wrong choices and trying to play too nice with those who will never play in the same spirit, but he's still far ahead of any Republican. Perry makes my flesh crawl. I've seen him in action here in Texas.
 
Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,233,190 times
Reputation: 29451
Chances are I'll be sitting this one out altogether.
 
Old 08-26-2011, 11:33 PM
 
16,105 posts, read 17,907,645 times
Reputation: 15895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Agree, there's no such thing as a perfect analogy. The difference here is that all those noted in my post are apparently rejecting these candidates based solely upon a dislike for said candidates particular chosen personal world view - which, in this case, happens to be theistic. There is a difference between those who reject candidates because they disagree with the candidates positions on particular issues and those who reject candidates based upon a dislike of the particular candidates stated world view - whether it be theistic or atheistic.
No, none of these candidates are rejected *solely* because of their religion. It's because they want to put religion into our schools, to interfere with privacy between doctor and patient, to make abortion illegal (it's a matter of conscience between the woman and her doctor, imo), to persecute gays because of the religious view that being gay is *wrong.*

I didn't reject Kennedy - a Catholic. I would not reject Huntsman out of hand because he is a Mormon. I don't reject Biden because he is a Jew.

The problem with the religious right is they want to make us a theocracy. I would not vote for a Taliban though I don't reject Muslims out of hand either.

The Provocation: Dominionists Strike Back, But Their Denials Don't Ring True

Quote:
The question is just how and how much do the Dominionists and their allies want to affect the government? Do they want to throw out democracy altogether and establish a theocracy? That's what Dominionist founder R.J. Rushdoony clearly had in mind when he called the state a "bankrupt institution" and stated unequivocally that the only alternative would be a "a God-centered government." In other words, a theocracy.
Quote:
What would a Dominionist version of the United States look like? Here's a sampling of how the cultural landscape might change:

Same-sex relationships might be made illegal and punishable by prison time.
The same goes for sex outside of marriage.
Creationism would almost certainly be taught in public schools; so would courses such as Biblical theology and the history of Christianity. Evolution, on the other hand, would not be taught. This is, of course, if the public educational system hadn't been supplanted by private and parochial schools.
The construction of mosques and other places of worship not dedicated to the Judeo-Christian god would likely be severely restricted or outlawed.
All public meetings would open with a prayer to the Judeo-Christian god. Prayers representing other faiths in such a setting would most probably not be permitted.
"Abstinence-only" would be the only form of sex education offered in public schools.
The use of the death penalty would likely be vastly expanded.
Equal opportunity laws might be gutted, and traditional gender roles might be used as a basis for decisions made in hiring.

 
Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 PM
 
16,105 posts, read 17,907,645 times
Reputation: 15895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Chances are I'll be sitting this one out altogether.
Do not do that. Vote for the lesser of two evils if you have to. If you sit it out and we end up with a government that changes the Constitution, you won't like that result.
 
Old 08-27-2011, 12:14 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times
Reputation: 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I didn't reject Kennedy - a Catholic. I would not reject Huntsman out of hand because he is a Mormon. I don't reject Biden because he is a Jew.
Not real relevant to your point but Biden is Catholic, or at least nominally Catholic, not Jewish. His ancestry looks to be Irish and English. I don't think we've ever had a Jewish VP or even a VP of substantial Jewish ancestry.

BBC NEWS | Americas | Profile: Joe Biden
In Scranton, celebration for local boy who made good
 
Old 08-27-2011, 01:20 AM
 
Location: England
3,250 posts, read 3,144,385 times
Reputation: 3210
Did'nt Perry say that he believed social security & medicare was unconstitutional? you would'nt want to be lower middle class, poor or old in president Perry's America would you?
 
Old 08-27-2011, 03:06 AM
 
Location: Terra firma
1,374 posts, read 1,356,256 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
I think it would be interesting to note all the hoots and howls there would be if Christians were in here posting their reluctance to vote for a particular candidate simply because he/she happened to have an atheistic or agnostic world view. World view is what we're actually talking about here. I keep asking what it is that supposedly makes the non-God view superior to the God view?

Having a government that would be unbiased or "neutral" is all very nice in theory. The apparent problem for some is that truth and reality seem to keep getting in the way.
New to City Data? Christians on this forum are constantly railing against the "Godless" Left and the Anticrist (currently masquerading as POTUS for those of you who have not yet pieced together the clues found in the Books of Daniel and Revelations). I get attacked and denounced all the time as a "liberal moonbat" for my atheism even though I'm fairly conservative -that is, the sane variety of conservatism that existed before the ideology was hijacked by rabid, bible thumping, far right populists.

To answer the OP's question, I know that this being America a.k.a "Jesus Land" the odds of fielding a candidate uncontaminated by religious dogma who has even the slightest chance of winning are basically zero so I have to take the good with the bad and vote for the candidate that I think has the best grasp on the problems that our country faces along with the best prescription for dealing with those problems. I have voted Republican in the past and will do it again if they produce a viable candidate.
 
Old 08-27-2011, 03:12 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,233,190 times
Reputation: 29451
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Do not do that. Vote for the lesser of two evils if you have to. If you sit it out and we end up with a government that changes the Constitution, you won't like that result.
I long ago stopped pretending politicians respect the Constitution. And I refuse to vote for "the lesser of two evils." Either a candidate earns my vote or he doesn't, and he doesn't earn it by virtue of sucking less than the other guy.
 
Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,144 posts, read 5,109,792 times
Reputation: 2539
I'll probably vote libertarian. Most of the republican candidates are basketcases who belong in the loony bin and I would vote for an orange can before I vote for Obama again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top