Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:27 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Wilful ignorance is widespread and above all, not frowned upon in the US because of religion (in many cases). No wonder when Perry prays for rain, his popularity among the target audience increases.
I should also add that one of the responses under one of those updates started with the phrase: "I don't really believe in all that science stuff..." Keep in mind this person obviously typed this message on a computer, or maybe even a phone. Yes, what has science done for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I should also add that one of the responses under one of those updates started with the phrase: "I don't really believe in all that science stuff..." Keep in mind this person obviously typed this message on a computer, or maybe even a phone. Yes, what has science done for us?
Oh Drat!, L.L., now you're gonna get 'em confused!!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:52 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I know a lady who believes genetically engineered foods are sterilizing people and are were created by the government to suppress population growth.
And... your point being?

This nation-wide ignorance is akin to those who want to see the gov'mint raise all our taxes so as to better help the entitlement parasites and their "we know best" ilk. I say, if you want to pay more taxes, please... by all means, go ahead and make a personal contribution to the government of your choice. Just don't tell me what to do with my hard-earned funds.

Likewise, we should offer and encourage the Christian Woo-Hooo fringe set the opportunity to live sans science, on a remote Christian commune, without any of the benefits of modern science, like medicine, protection from the elements (well... there's always that cave over there, but they might have to share it with their distant cousins, those baboons...); communications (try smoke signals, my friends!) clothing (no weaving looms, just a sharp rock with which to skin out that diseased coyote carcass that washed up on the beach of their local stagnant duck pond... ) and so on.

Hey; such simple sacrifices would surely enhance their deep personal relationship with God, who would then send someone (a modern-day Moses type no doubt) to lead them outa there and on over to the nearest strip mall and it's accompanying McDonalds or KFC, with all it's sciencey type support systems...

God, the utter hypocrisy of it all, huh?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
I must say that such remarks and the sadly lacking:

"ok, if your using a telescope doesnt this bring your vision closer. And when a light is turned on can't you see it instantly? Sure, the light may travel at a speed but my eye can see instantly, especially if I bring my eye closer to what I'm looking at. Think about it. Does it take light years for your eye to see millions of lightyears away? Of course not. It's pretty instantly, as soon as you put your eye up to it. Do you see the light now?"

when it is not testing the brain to learn that the light we see instantly here had taken 250 million years to get here from a star 250 million light years away, (1) makes one wonder whether a poster should not be asked to answer one or two basic questions to test knowledge, intelligence and reasoning skills before being allowed to sign up for posting.

(1) to make the point obvious even to..that means the light - image we see here is showing what occurred 250 million years ago. Which is, in case the point escaped anyone, a lot more than 6,000, 10,000, 14,000 or 25,000 years ago or even 50 thousand years ago, which is the top end of the (apparently current) YE Creation date of 20,000 BC with a possible error factor of +/- 20, 000 years.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-30-2011 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: Footnote

Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I must say that such remarks and the sadly lacking:

"ok, if your using a telescope doesnt this bring your vision closer. And when a light is turned on can't you see it instantly? Sure, the light may travel at a speed but my eye can see instantly, especially if I bring my eye closer to what I'm looking at. Think about it. Does it take light years for your eye to see millions of lightyears away? Of course not. It's pretty instantly, as soon as you put your eye up to it. Do you see the light now?"

when it is not testing the brain to learn that the light we see instantly here had taken 250 million years to get here from a star 250 million light years away, makes one wonder whether a poster should not be asked to answer one or two basic questions to test knowledge, intelligence and reasoning skills before being allowed to sign up for posting.
I wish I could say this was the first time I have seen a person who has no basic concept of how vision works, but it is not.

Sadly I think this points out a flaw in the education system. Grade school science is often taught by those with no concept of science and for too many students that is their only exposure to science.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:37 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'm going to guess home schooled or 'church' schools, but clearly science was verboten

I said: "But this is impossible, ask any creationist. According to them nothing is older than approximately 7,000 to 13,000 years old. Yet the center of our galaxy is approximately 26,000 light years away. That means what we are seeing happened approximately 26,000 years ago, long before anything existed.

Thus either creationists are wrong, or the scientists are wrong. Which is it?"

To which I received the following response:
"wow, am I really about to respond to this? whew

ok, if your using a telescope doesnt this bring your vision closer. And when a light is turned on can't you see it instantly? Sure, the light may travel at a speed but my eye can see instantly, especially if I bring my eye closer to what I'm looking at. Think about it. Does it take light years for your eye to see millions of lightyears away? Of course not. It's pretty instantly, as soon as you put your eye up to it. Do you see the light now?

I didn't even have to pray about this one. wow.

I am glad I visited the forum though, as it would be a shame to have something like this defying the Living God.

And thank you Ashville. You've brought this thread right where it needs to be. I bless you in the name of Yahushua... So Be It."

Even watching NOVA or PBS or similar shows on Satan Channel........ errrr I mean Science Channel or just common sense would come into play.
OMG. Seriously?

And I thought the "evolution is just a theory" crowd were dumb....

Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I wish I could say this was the first time I have seen a person who has no basic concept of how vision works, but it is not.

Sadly I think this points out a flaw in the education system. Grade school science is often taught by those with no concept of science and for too many students that is their only exposure to science.
One never knows why a person doesn't know something. What is more regrettable is not that a person doesn't know but often is not willing to listen and is contemptuous of those trying to explain.

It's also a problem in that that it can tempt the better informed to take advantage and dish out assurances that such and such is scientific fact when perhaps it isn't - yet. We should be willing to be be objective.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:05 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Makes me want to move to Demark or Sweden - except for the fact that it's so darn cold there!
All the Swedes I have ever met were exceptionally warm human beings.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:53 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,726 times
Quote:
Recently I set up a Facebook account since I moved across the country and had several friends and coworkers tell me they wanted to keep in touch with me and be able to see pictures, etc. After joining, I started getting friend requests from people I went to high school with and others I haven't seen in years, and I thought, "Hey, that's kind of cool." But I've noticed that a surprising number of these people routinely post on their Facebook walls that current natural disasters and heat waves are "signs from God". In fact I've seen it far more than I would have expected just in the last three weeks since I joined, and among my very limited number of "friends". I would have thought Christians would prefer to not give others the impression that God's a jerk, but apparently I was wrong!
I have had a similar experience since joining Facebook. On some days my news feed looks like a news pamphlet from 1640s Mass. Bay. Its really disappointing to see people I once knew as curious thinkers turn into programmed drones.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:16 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
I have had a similar experience since joining Facebook. On some days my news feed looks like a news pamphlet from 1640s Mass. Bay. Its really disappointing to see people I once knew as curious thinkers turn into programmed drones.
Well I went to a private Christian high school, so all of these people were always religious. But back in high school, they didn't seem to take it quite this seriously. In fact back then they almost never talked about religion. I was the same way, and after high school I became more religious and conservative, but I also later became an atheist. But they seem to have stayed the same. One of them, however, under his "philosophy" has entered "agnostic", which is refreshing. But he was never religious back then anyway.

But yes, reading a lot of their comments makes me think I'm reading their parents' comments instead. Then I remember we're all older now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism