U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,950,506 times

Advertisements

I'm going to guess home schooled or 'church' schools, but clearly science was verboten

I said: "But this is impossible, ask any creationist. According to them nothing is older than approximately 7,000 to 13,000 years old. Yet the center of our galaxy is approximately 26,000 light years away. That means what we are seeing happened approximately 26,000 years ago, long before anything existed.

Thus either creationists are wrong, or the scientists are wrong. Which is it?"

To which I received the following response:
"wow, am I really about to respond to this? whew

ok, if your using a telescope doesnt this bring your vision closer. And when a light is turned on can't you see it instantly? Sure, the light may travel at a speed but my eye can see instantly, especially if I bring my eye closer to what I'm looking at. Think about it. Does it take light years for your eye to see millions of lightyears away? Of course not. It's pretty instantly, as soon as you put your eye up to it. Do you see the light now?

I didn't even have to pray about this one. wow.

I am glad I visited the forum though, as it would be a shame to have something like this defying the Living God.

And thank you Ashville. You've brought this thread right where it needs to be. I bless you in the name of Yahushua... So Be It.
"

Even watching NOVA or PBS or similar shows on Satan Channel........ errrr I mean Science Channel or just common sense would come into play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 02:25 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,368,316 times
Default Look Out! Deyz Comin'!!!!

Well, Asheville, they haz'tah to come up with Sumthin' to deflect the obvious conclusion to this argument. Else, their brains would all.. WHOOMPH!... catch fire, their heads would explode in a cloud of watery steam, and the world would finally be rid of hubris and collective irrationality!

So, maybe it's really better this way. I mean, at least we can see 'em coming, like Zombies!

Sermonspice - Christian Zombies Holy Spirit When The Sinful Flesh comes back church - Buy Church Videos

Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,950,506 times
Thanks rifleman, now I'm going to have bad dreams tonight ....................... what a friend

Old 08-29-2011, 02:44 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,990,486 times
Here is another example. Bachman made a comment that hurricane Irene was a sign from god. Later, her press secretary claimed it was in jest. Regardless, we have:

But a Public Religion Research institute/ Religion News Service poll from earlier this year found that nearly 40 percent of Americans “believe that earthquakes, floods and other natural disasters are a sign from God.”

(Source: Michele Bachmann jokes that God sent hurricane, earthquake - Under God - The Washington Post)

Welcome to America! I mean why teach anyone any geology or anything else. An educational course consisting of "god did it" would save us all a lot of money.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,746,107 times
Makes me want to move to Demark or Sweden - except for the fact that it's so darn cold there!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:30 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,177,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Here is another example. Bachman made a comment that hurricane Irene was a sign from god. Later, her press secretary claimed it was in jest. Regardless, we have:

But a Public Religion Research institute/ Religion News Service poll from earlier this year found that nearly 40 percent of Americans “believe that earthquakes, floods and other natural disasters are a sign from God.”

(Source: Michele Bachmann jokes that God sent hurricane, earthquake - Under God - The Washington Post)

Welcome to America! I mean why teach anyone any geology or anything else. An educational course consisting of "god did it" would save us all a lot of money.
Recently I set up a Facebook account since I moved across the country and had several friends and coworkers tell me they wanted to keep in touch with me and be able to see pictures, etc. After joining, I started getting friend requests from people I went to high school with and others I haven't seen in years, and I thought, "Hey, that's kind of cool." But I've noticed that a surprising number of these people routinely post on their Facebook walls that current natural disasters and heat waves are "signs from God". In fact I've seen it far more than I would have expected just in the last three weeks since I joined, and among my very limited number of "friends". I would have thought Christians would prefer to not give others the impression that God's a jerk, but apparently I was wrong!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,186,968 times
In defense of homeschooling... I doubt they would learn much in public school anyway.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:07 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,990,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Recently I set up a Facebook account since I moved across the country and had several friends and coworkers tell me they wanted to keep in touch with me and be able to see pictures, etc. After joining, I started getting friend requests from people I went to high school with and others I haven't seen in years, and I thought, "Hey, that's kind of cool." But I've noticed that a surprising number of these people routinely post on their Facebook walls that current natural disasters and heat waves are "signs from God". In fact I've seen it far more than I would have expected just in the last three weeks since I joined, and among my very limited number of "friends". I would have thought Christians would prefer to not give others the impression that God's a jerk, but apparently I was wrong!
Wilful ignorance is widespread and above all, not frowned upon in the US because of religion (in many cases). No wonder when Perry prays for rain, his popularity among the target audience increases.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:21 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,972,404 times
I know a lady who believes genetically engineered foods are sterilizing people and are were created by the government to suppress population growth.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:02 PM

30,874 posts, read 31,750,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'm going to guess home schooled or 'church' schools, but clearly science was verboten

I said: "But this is impossible, ask any creationist. According to them nothing is older than approximately 7,000 to 13,000 years old. Yet the center of our galaxy is approximately 26,000 light years away. That means what we are seeing happened approximately 26,000 years ago, long before anything existed.

Thus either creationists are wrong, or the scientists are wrong. Which is it?"

To which I received the following response:
"wow, am I really about to respond to this? whew

ok, if your using a telescope doesnt this bring your vision closer. And when a light is turned on can't you see it instantly? Sure, the light may travel at a speed but my eye can see instantly, especially if I bring my eye closer to what I'm looking at. Think about it. Does it take light years for your eye to see millions of lightyears away? Of course not. It's pretty instantly, as soon as you put your eye up to it. Do you see the light now?

I didn't even have to pray about this one. wow.

I am glad I visited the forum though, as it would be a shame to have something like this defying the Living God.

And thank you Ashville. You've brought this thread right where it needs to be. I bless you in the name of Yahushua... So Be It.
"

Even watching NOVA or PBS or similar shows on Satan Channel........ errrr I mean Science Channel or just common sense would come into play.
That's just oducky....oops I meant ducky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism