U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:04 AM

13,144 posts, read 19,277,466 times

Advertisements

A fair portion of my anthropology studies were on various religions. I didn't (and don't) learn about religion to argue against it, I did because it's interesting.

In fact, pretty much the only place I argue religion is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:17 PM

6,964 posts, read 6,272,324 times
I'm calling on StillKit to get on here and post about how we can't discern the scriptures because we ain't got that Holy Ghost to tell us what the bible says.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,740,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I used to play a trick on my old Christian mates during bible study games. I used to ask them to turn to the book of Hezekiah and watch them rummage through the pages of the bible looking for a book that was never there in the first place.
No fair! "Hezekiah" sounds so, so.... well, so biblebookish

Old 09-09-2011, 01:23 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,311,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
It's kind of shocking how many Christians I come across who have not only not read the whole Bible, but haven't studied it.
Yes, it makes me often question how many people who say they believe actually do. Forgive me if I am wrong but I would think that anyone who really was a Christian would be keen to actually read the one text that is the central focus of their entire faith, and possibly of their successful passage into an eternal life of bliss.

Yet they do not.

I find it hard therefore to think many believers are actually being honest with me, or even themselves.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:49 AM

39,735 posts, read 11,098,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Yes, it makes me often question how many people who say they believe actually do. Forgive me if I am wrong but I would think that anyone who really was a Christian would be keen to actually read the one text that is the central focus of their entire faith, and possibly of their successful passage into an eternal life of bliss.

Yet they do not.

I find it hard therefore to think many believers are actually being honest with me, or even themselves.
..and the Book of Josiah...must be in the apochrypha.

Yes. I definitely get the idea that it is all about feelings of self - worth, self - conviction and being specially privileged and given secret knowledge. I think it's an evolutionary trait... Actually reading and understanding the Bible is a surprisingly low priority.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,933,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
No fair! "Hezekiah" sounds so, so.... well, so biblebookish
It doesn't, doesn't it?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,774,702 times
I didn't study theological text deeply, merely rudimentary... theology in general is easy enough to understand without studying the texts. simply by seeing the actual arguments, and not by deeply studying the idol scriptures, it is easy to understand how very baseless, vague, and contradictory theologians and religionists(non-scholarly followers of theologians) are in general.

the problem is that as soon as it becomes convinient for these people to call themselves "atheists" they will(for those who don't care about immortality). So then they will be fit again to replicate their genes. even though they are mindless drowns that have no true understanding and would soon betray their fellow humans when it became convinient again to "sign a contract". atheism by itself is just as pointless as religion. Then their children will grow up dumb and be easily convertable to Islam, this is the case I have seen in the Scandenavian region. pretty dumb atheists mixing in their genes and replicating faster than the "more intelligent" population.

The basic desires that inspire religionists are: immortality, perpetual happiness, Cause naming, betting correctly, having a perpetual friend, etc etc there are many "Christians" that don't share these desires and would call themselves anything that would suit their other desires, yet would not help our society at all and might infact be detrimental to it. seeking for these type of people to realise they don't agree with the idol scripture they pretended to agree with wont help them become better people at all. they'll just find a way to either distort it to fit their view, or create a new one. the idol worshipers and makers didn't just drop their genes, they moved on to a better fashion on doing what they are phenotypically destined to do, end their cognitive dissonance (by believing and interpreting things to match their desires and other believes).

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 09-10-2011 at 09:09 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 10:05 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,842,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
As with many of us, I grew up Christian and attended private school. Studying the Bible was mandatory, and despite my early skepticism I still remained diligent in understanding (if that can be legitimately done) the "good" book. I also attended the Islamic Da'Wah center for approximately a year to get a grasp on Islam. I'm no Theologian but I feel as though I have a decent grasp on the ridiculousness within both text to refute the claims of a fanatical believer.

Anyone else?
I read the Bible, quite often infact. It really isn;t ALL ridiculousness BTW. There is a lot of good within it's pages. The trick is knowing not to take it literaly.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Yeah I have read all I can and continue to do so. I am also part of the Atheist Ireland campaign to try and get more people in Ireland to read the Bible. I have never understood why so many people can claim to be Christian or Catholic yet never actually read it. I know many do, but a depressing number do not.

In fact the only people I have ever turned away from Christianity I did so not by arguing the facts or the science, but actually making them read the Bible. Its not a lot of people mind, but all of them came away from the experience saying essentially "I was meant to be believing THAT rubbish???" So from an atheist perspective I think getting people, believers and non, to read the bible closely is a good thing.
I agree. If people actualy knew what it was they were claiming to believe in, there would be far less believers.

Quote:
Not to mention that the KJ version is, if you ignore the fact people seem to want to make you think it is TRUE, is actually not a bad read.
Agreed agian! As stated above

Old 09-11-2011, 03:59 PM

1,004 posts, read 527,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I read the Bible, quite often infact. It really isn;t ALL ridiculousness BTW. There is a lot of good within it's pages. The trick is knowing not to take it literaly.

Quote:

I agree. If people actualy knew what it was they were claiming to believe in, there would be far less believers.

Agreed agian! As stated above
There is much good in the world without religious doctrine believe it or not. The lessons taught in these books are nothing new and are most certainly nothing that man could not deduce on his own.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:45 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,842,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
There is much good in the world without religious doctrine believe it or not. The lessons taught in these books are nothing new and are most certainly nothing that man could not deduce on his own.
Man did deduce it on his own. Man wrote the Bible after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism