U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 AM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,966,937 times
Reputation: 8282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
Don't you wanna help a poor 16 years old student to understand !!
Ok thank you .
No, not taking the bait of your troll post

Also there are sites that will do homework for the lazy......... seek them out, but that does not result in learning

Last edited by Asheville Native; 09-12-2011 at 11:46 AM..

 
Old 09-12-2011, 12:53 PM
 
Location: around the way
656 posts, read 932,651 times
Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Many people who are plentifully aged have grown tired of such things... As a 19 yr old I can answer your questions very simply: Agnosticism is true.

Now, I will also answer your questions 1 by 1, and will (as you asked) attempt to make them short.
Good work here. I was going to do a response like this, but you managed to sum it up well. Just a few things I would add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
2. 2-What is the purpose of existence (life)?
From a strictly biological perspective, life is its own purpose, which is to say that its purpose is to spread itself as far and wide as it can. Organisms are generally driven to A. reproduce as much as possible, B. adapt to their environment (or adapt their environment to them) in such a way as to make part A as easy as possible for themselves and their offspring. Any "purpose" we ascribe to it beyond that is a function of our own mind and a reflection of our own desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
5. 5-If the moon has atmosphere then life would exist on it because the Moon is located in the moderation of life just like Earth as for its distance from the sun , so Why it has no atmosphere ?
Distance from sun and presence of atmosphere are unrelated, cf. every planet in our solar system, Saturn's moon Titan, and who knows how many billions of extrasolar planets. Just because it could have an atmosphere doesn't mean it will, and even if it did there's no guarantee that it would be breathable for terrestrial life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
7. 6-The moon's orbit was once very much closer than it is today when life was yet to really get going . Natural disasters will occur if the moon was closer to the earth now?

Well, if the moon was closer, its gravity would have a greater effect on our Earth, yes.

8. If you agree then who locate it on that exact distance where it appropriate for life on Earth?
Life evolves to adapt to its environmental pressures. If life had evolved on an Earth that had a moon or moons that were larger and/or closer, we would have organisms better suited to stronger tidal effects, gravitational stresses, or what have you.

As LuminousTruth points out, the moon is moving away from the earth at about an inch a year. So over the course of the last million years it's gotten about 15 miles further away from us, which in astronomical terms is practically nothing. Terrestrial life can and does adapt in that kind of time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
14. 11-Why all apes did not evolve & why only humans have Consciousness and thinking innovation minds of all creatures?
If you mean self-consciousness here, there is plenty of evidence that non-human apes are at least somewhat self-aware. They can also learn language, solve simple math problems, and use tools. Humans have become better at it because it has been useful at helping us overcome environmental pressures and reproduce. Other apes haven't had the same pressures, so it was never necessary for them to evolve in that way.

Incidentally, consciousness and innovation have so far appeared to be advantages for us, but it's not a guarantee that it will always work that way. It's possible for a species to over-specialize. If we as a species become too reliant on technology and, for whatever reason, that technology were to become unsustainable, we would be forced to adapt very quickly or die off. Genus Homo has only been around for about 2.4 million years, and H. sapiens for about 200,000 years. That's barely a blip on the evolutionary timescale. Compare that to crocodilians (220 million years) and sharks (420 million years at least). The jury is very much still out on the survivability of the human species and how much of a help our huge brains are.
 
Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM
 
39,120 posts, read 10,849,315 times
Reputation: 5089
Good work, lads.

I'd just add

14. 11-Why all apes did not evolve & why only humans have Consciousness and thinking innovation minds of all creatures?

All animals and indeed one could argue lifeforms and in a way all matter has 'consciousness'. It is just that it gets more complicated as it evolves along with the life-form until we get spme pretty smart animals such as Dolphins, elephants and dogs and primates who are closest to our own minds of course.

As to why monkeys are still monkeys, Natural selection means that, in demanding natural conditions which would give certain of a species a survival advantage, an evolved strain of primate would survive and, under further demands, would continue to evolve. Where the conditions did not put pressure on the species as in jungles or forests where trees and forage was plentiful, there would be no opportunity for natural selection to favour the mutations which gave an advantage elsewhere. The monkeys would remain monkeys, so to speak.

That's the mechanism. As to how this actually happened, the evidence is changing the story all the time. It seems that many different kinds of hominids evolved but the conditions were too harsh and they died out, apart from the ones who were able to walk efficiently and migrate.

It seems that HS co -existed with the last other breed (Neandertals) until they disappeared in the last Ice age.

That's just how the evidence seems at the moment. It's not lock-down fact. I can only say that none of the evidence really favours Adam.
 
Old 09-12-2011, 01:39 PM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,459,503 times
Reputation: 3945
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
Don't you wanna help a poor 16 years old student to understand !!
Ok thank you .
No, I don't.

If you never learn how to do your own research and studying, then you will learn nothing in school. Use a search engine and find your own answers. You have it a lot easier these days than people like me had it at your age. When I was sixteen we actually had to go to the library for answers, and hope that there was a book on the subject. If there wasn't, then we had to wait days or weeks for an interlibrary loan to arrive.

Now all you have to do is plug the question into a search engine, so stop being a lazy boy and do it yourself.
 
Old 09-12-2011, 03:02 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,742,175 times
Reputation: 1328
Using an internet search-engine was actually how I found out what fire actually was and how it worked chemically before I was introduced to the topic in school. Mercury Cougar gives you good advise. Just asking people for answers is what fosters religion, and sheep-like behavior, with little human dignity. Its time for you pagan descendants to start acting like humans and not simply mimic the other specie (sheep and chimps, etc).

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 09-12-2011 at 03:46 PM..
 
Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
20,894 posts, read 13,657,440 times
Reputation: 3949
1-How did the first living cell exist? And how it throbbed with life?

This is an unanswered question... partly because there was probably no such thing as a "first living cell." The boundary between living and nonliving is completely arbitrary.

2-What is the purpose of existence (life)?

There is no extrinsic purpose for life. If you want your life to have purpose, you are going to have to decide what that is for yourself.

3-What Cause the movement of the Big Bang after it was static and stable?

The Big Bang was never static or stable. The singularity that cause it was durationless... it lasted exactly zero time. So the Big bang was cause by the universe that existed before it.

4-We all know that the universe has a beginning that mean it will have an end , so what was before the beginning of the universe & what will be after the end of it ?

We do not "all know" that. If the laws of conservation and causality are true, then the universe must be eternal with no beginning and no end.

5-If the moon has atmosphere then life would exist on it because the Moon is located in the moderation of life just like Earth as for its distance from the sun , so Why it has no atmosphere ?
was it a
Coincidence?


The moon has no atmosphere because it has only 1/6th the gravitational pull of the earth. So any gas at its surface will escape into space.

6-The moon's orbit was once very much closer than it is today when life was yet to really get going .
Natural disasters will occur if the moon was closer to the earth now ?

If you agree then who locate it on that exact distance where it appropriate for life on Earth?

Coincidence? Nature?


The moon's distance is always changing. It has been changing ever since the moon was formed some 4.5 billion years ago. Natural disasters would not occur because of a closer moon.

7-Does nature or Coincidence capable of thinking ?

No.

8-Who protects humans through the ages from huge deadly meteorites that could possibly end life on earth?

Probability and chance.

9-Was it nature that put the ozone layer & the atmosphere?? And why specifically on earth?

Yes it was nature. It is specifically on Earth because of the high oxygen content of our atmosphere.

10-Justice vs. injustice, to those whom did not find justice in this world when they will find it?

They will not.

11-Why all apes did not evolve & why only humans have Consciousness and thinking innovation minds of all creatures?

Apes are just as evolved as we are. They simply evolved in a different direction than we did.

Many animals are conscious, can think, and some even innovate.

12-Is there any scientific evidence that proves the impact of genetic mutations in the process of evolution ?

Yes.

13-Is it possible to inheritance through genes a new capability /recipe that acquired ?
For example :

If a white person could turn his skin color from white to burnet is that mean his genes could gain the same color ?
If not then I could easly say that an important part of the theory of evolution collapse .

No. It is not possible to inherit acquired characteristics. Evolution does not collapse because of it.

14-You say that material and energy are eternal, why don't you apply the same concept on the Creator (God)?

Because we actually have evidence that matter and energy exist. We have no comparable evidence for god.

15-When was the end of the Ice age and was it at the same Time/Ara of Noah's flood that once swept the world ?

There have been many ice ages. The last one ended about 10,000 years ago. Noah's flood never happened.

16-You believe that there is no such thing as soul and that the brain is the only basis of awareness !!
If you cut a Human head & keep the brean in a good shape & then You pump blood into it and you provide it with all the natural organic elements that were supplied by the body before , will that head speaks ?

If not than why ?


No. Speech also requires a chest and neck.
 
Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,729,586 times
Reputation: 1770
I think a good answer from a scientific perspective is that some magic guy used magic to make it all happen.
 
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,143 posts, read 19,199,152 times
Reputation: 14007
Ok, here's my educational contribution for the day:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
If you allow me ... here are 16 simple & direct questions that were asked by a 16 years old High School student from Saudi Arabia to a committee that included atheists scientists & philosophers at some college in London .
ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــــــــــــــــ
1-How did the first living cell exist? And how it throbbed with life?

What is life? Theologists assume life is something magical and special. It's merely a chain of proteins that seeks to replicate itself with varying degrees of complexity. Cells didn't spring into existence; they evolved from simple self-replicating proteins.


2-What is the purpose of existence (life)?

If you are a pessimist, there is no purpose. If you are an optimist, you get to choose whatever purpose you want!

3-What Cause the movement of the Big Bang after it was static and stable?

It's not static; it expands and forms different elements because it's imperfect. "Stephen Hawking's Universe" gave an excellent example of how and why this works by imagining a room filled with ball bearings; if the molecules were spread out with perfectly equal push, you would get a static universe where nothing happens. But because nothing is entirely perfect; just one odd ball bearing will force the whole thing out of alignment and cause interesting stuff to happen; basically an incredibly complex version of the domino effect.



4-We all know that the universe has a beginning that mean it will have an end , so what was before the beginning of the universe & what will be after the end of it ?

The answer to this question is simply a matter of perspective. It's sort of like asking where the end of the world is; you could walk your entire life and never get to the end. You have to go to a higher perspective to see the end; in this case up, to where the world is a sphere floating in space.

Same concept with the universe; there must be a higher perspective than the universe as we understand it (perhaps the "branes" in M-theory, for example). The fact of the matter is that we lack the capability to see beyond the universal scale, and past the subatomic scale on the other end of all that is. We can only perceive a piece of the whole.


5-If the moon has atmosphere then life would exist on it because the Moon is located in the moderation of life just like Earth as for its distance from the sun , so Why it has no atmosphere ?
was it a Coincidence?

You need more than to find a planet in a "Goldilocks zone" to get a habitable planet. Proper gravitational positioning, rotation, a molten iron core that creates a magnetic shield against solar radiation and even the moon itself in proper location and orbit are all necessary for life to exist on this planet. There are so many variables that need to be perfect that it's easy to assume the only way it could happen is by divine intervention.

But in a universe with 300 sextillion stars, the odds are the perfect combination is gonna come up at least once. That is A LOT of dice rolls; if you could pick 300 sextillion lottery numbers you'd win every year.


6-The moon's orbit was once very much closer than it is today when life was yet to really get going .
Natural disasters will occur if the moon was closer to the earth now ?
If you agree then who locate it on that exact distance where it appropriate for life on Earth?
Coincidence? Nature?

Once life really gets going, it finds a way to survive change. For example, if the surface of the world suddenly became uninhabitable, do you think we'd all just lay down and die? We'd move underground, or into space, or both. The same would be true with all life down to single celled organisms. Not all would make it of course, but it would be very difficult to extinguish life on this planet now without vaporizing the entire planet.


How do we know this? Because it's happened before. Extinction event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


7-Does nature or Coincidence capable of thinking ?

We are natural animals and we think. Does that count?

8-Who protects humans through the ages from huge deadly meteorites that could possibly end life on earth?

Nobody. There hasn't been a major strike since humanity appeared on the scene. Hominids have only been around 6-7 million years, life itself almost 2 billion. We are just babies in the grand scheme of things and haven't been around long enough for it to happen to us. Remember It took a 160 million years for it to happen to the dinosaurs, after all.

9-Was it nature that put the ozone layer & the atmosphere?? And why specifically on earth?

No, nature reacts, not creates. Life as we know it is here BECAUSE those things (and many others) are either present or absent from the environment.


10-Justice vs. injustice, to those whom did not find justice in this world when they will find it?

Justice is a human concept and only applicable in the human mind. Whether or not Justice finds those who deserve it will depend on whether the human mind survives death or not. Sorry, but life was never fair from the outset.

11-Why all apes did not evolve & why only humans have Consciousness and thinking innovation minds of all creatures?

Like I said, nature is reactive. Evolutionary changes happen because organisms are pushed certain directions over millennia by environmental pressures. Tigers needed to catch prey so they ended up with big teeth and claws, strong muscles and striped fur for camouflage. Hominids needed to eat too but they solved the problem by creating ever more complex tools to catch and grow food, which favored ever more complex brains, leading to us.

12-Is there any scientific evidence that proves the impact of genetic mutations in the process of evolution ?

Yes, though it's not the main driving force in evolution. It just makes things interesting... Mutation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


13-Is it possible to inheritance through genes a new capability /recipe that acquired ?
For example :
If a white person could turn his skin color from white to burnet is that mean his genes could gain the same color ?

If not then I could easly say that an important part of the theory of evolution collapse .

Soviet scientists once tried this by cutting off generations of mouse tails in an attempt to create tailless mice. It didn't work. So no, if you got sunburned you can't have brown babies.

But there is always some variation in all babies. If the darker skinned babies survived and reproduced better than the lighter babies, skin color in the species as a whole would eventually turn out darker. The process takes tens of thousands of generations; you would never see or notice the difference unless you could see from that broad perspective.


14-You say that material and energy are eternal, why don't you apply the same concept on the Creator (God)?

Science doesn't say material and energy are eternal. The big bang is the ultimate theory of getting something from nothing, and entropy says eventually the universe will expand so much that molecules will reach a temperature of absolute zero and stop expanding. We are talking spans of billions to trillions of years, but still finite nonetheless. The universe itself was born, has been and will continue to change over time, then eventually "die". That kind of puts a damper on the possibility of an immortal god too, BTW


15-When was the end of the Ice age and was it at the same Time/Ara of Noah's flood that once swept the world ?

Noah's flood is a myth. It didn't happen. Sorry.

But there were humans around at the end of the last ice age who were physiologically equivalent to ourselves; it isn't too much of stretch to imagine the first civilizations developing around that time in coastal areas, then have them wiped out by rising sea levels. Naturally we wouldn't know anything about them today, because the evidence has been literally washed away.


16-You believe that there is no such thing as soul and that the brain is the only basis of awareness !!

Yea, so what?

If you cut a Human head & keep the brean in a good shape & then You pump blood into it and you provide it with all the natural organic elements that were supplied by the body before , will that head speaks ?
If not than why ?

No, You need a throat and a bag of air with a muscle (lungs and diaphragm) to push air through the throat to speak. Please stop beheading people to see if it works.
ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــــــــــــــــ
P.S : Please keep it short & simple for a 16 years old boy to understand .

Last edited by Chango; 09-12-2011 at 06:51 PM..
 
Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,114,454 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post

5-If the moon has atmosphere then life would exist on it because the Moon is located in the moderation of life just like Earth as for its distance from the sun , so Why it has no atmosphere ?
was it a Coincidence?

6-The moon's orbit was once very much closer than it is today when life was yet to really get going .
Natural disasters will occur if the moon was closer to the earth now ?
If you agree then who locate it on that exact distance where it appropriate for life on Earth?
Coincidence? Nature?.
Because of its small size, the moon does not have enough gravity to hold onto an atmosphere.

Yes, the moon used to closer to the earth, but tidal forces are pushing it farther away all the time. If your 16-year old has any brains, he should be able to figure out why this is happening.
 
Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,706 posts, read 3,337,977 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
If you allow me ... here are 16 simple & direct questions that were asked by a 16 years old High School student from Saudi Arabia to a committee that included atheists scientists & philosophers at some college in London .
ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــــــــــــــــ
1-How did the first living cell exist? And how it throbbed with life?
2-What is the purpose of existence (life)?
3-What Cause the movement of the Big Bang after it was static and stable?
4-We all know that the universe has a beginning that mean it will have an end , so what was before the beginning of the universe & what will be after the end of it ?
5-If the moon has atmosphere then life would exist on it because the Moon is located in the moderation of life just like Earth as for its distance from the sun , so Why it has no atmosphere ?
was it a Coincidence?
6-The moon's orbit was once very much closer than it is today when life was yet to really get going .
Natural disasters will occur if the moon was closer to the earth now ?
If you agree then who locate it on that exact distance where it appropriate for life on Earth?
Coincidence? Nature?
7-Does nature or Coincidence capable of thinking ?

8-Who protects humans through the ages from huge deadly meteorites that could possibly end life on earth?
9-Was it nature that put the ozone layer & the atmosphere?? And why specifically on earth?
10-Justice vs. injustice, to those whom did not find justice in this world when they will find it?

11-Why all apes did not evolve & why only humans have Consciousness and thinking innovation minds of all creatures?
12-Is there any scientific evidence that proves the impact of genetic mutations in the process of evolution ?
13-Is it possible to inheritance through genes a new capability /recipe that acquired ?
For example :
If a white person could turn his skin color from white to burnet is that mean his genes could gain the same color ?
If not then I could easly say that an important part of the theory of evolution collapse .
14-You say that material and energy are eternal, why don't you apply the same concept on the Creator (God)?
15-When was the end of the Ice age and was it at the same Time/Ara of Noah's flood that once swept the world ?
16-You believe that there is no such thing as soul and that the brain is the only basis of awareness !!
If you cut a Human head & keep the brean in a good shape & then You pump blood into it and you provide it with all the natural organic elements that were supplied by the body before , will that head speaks ?
If not than why ?
ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــــــــــــــــ
P.S : Please keep it short & simple for a 16 years old boy to understand .
I don't know the answers to any of the above, but I vote we behead as many people as possible to come up with an answer to #16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top