Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,446,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Good thread.

While I disagree with atheism, I do want to keep my disagreements factual and not based on common misconceptions.

Thanks for the reminder, I see some areas I have slipped over and criticized misconception and not fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I should like to hear what your disagreements with atheism are, because, if I am going to hear any sound objections, I reckon I could hear them from you.

Start a thread or PM?
Woodrow, I respect your opinion very much, and I am also curious what your misconceptions were. Please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,093,868 times
I wasn't trying to prove a point using anecdotes. I was saying that until this very moment, no atheist has explained their process of thinking as nicely and precisely as y'all have.

I have heard, "There is no god." "It's just stupid." "Something only mindless moronic sheep would believe." Etc.

I dunno. Maybe they feel defensive or are sick of talking about it.

When put in terms as y'all have put, it makes more sense. But I think if you were wondering why you face hostility and/or judgment, it's because so many atheists are NOT voicing their reasonable thought processes (and I am willing to bet some of them aren't even using that logic).

I myself prefer atheists to most religious folks. I have never really understood why anyone else cares what you believe or don't believe.

All religions are obviously man-made.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:39 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,804,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
When every atheist I meet stops saying, "There is no god."
Hummmmm, interesting..... Seldomly do I instigate this conversation. I suspect that, if people would stop trying to convert us atheists to whatever their pet deity is, we, Atheists, would not have to keep saying that there is no god. Unfortunately, I can not be polite about my dis-interest in conversion to any of the known religions, indefinitely, eventually I will get snarky. Some say it is a character flaw, others say it is a self-defense mechanism.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:05 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,982,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Woodrow, I respect your opinion very much, and I am also curious what your misconceptions were. Please share.
Two misconceptions were:

I believed all Atheists were so by choice, they simply did not want to believe in God(swt), because doing so would disrupt their lives.

I also used to believe that most atheists were egotistical and considered themselves too intelligent to believe in God(swt)

Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
ps. Woodroe writ
Whereas, I, the undersigned, do hereby state and declare that I will, to the best of my ability, debate, discuss and disagree without rancor, bile or bitchness (ooowww) all disagreements, differences and doctrinal diversions,

(Signed M. Mouse)

I should like to hear what your disagreements with atheism are, because, if I am going to hear any sound objections, I reckon I could hear them from you.

Start a thread or PM?
Nothing earth shattering and probably an area were all we can do is agree to disagree in Peace. It was a rather long list when I had a lot of misconceptions about atheist. But, having read your posts and the posts of others, I believe I have shed the misconceptions, so at the moment I believe the only factual disagreement is the difference in our views of the existence of God(swt), I say he does, you say he doesn't.

All I can do is tell you the reason's I believe in God(swt) and you in turn will tell me why they are meaningless to you. No need in going into a long heated debate over something that will have no conclusion.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,342,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I dunno. Maybe they feel defensive or are sick of talking about it.
I have to say I am not really that sick of talking about it per se. It is an interesting subject that permeates our history, culture, language, psychology and more.

I am however sick having to battle it. I would love to wake up tomorrow and never have to deal with religion again. I simply am not let as all the things I AM interested in.... science, politics, education, sexuality, ethics, morality, children and more.... are areas where unsubstantiated religious ideas are forced in every day and we have to force back.

However in terms of defensiveness and being sick of it, I think you will find that it is more the cop outs and approaches by the religious that illicit the ire of atheists more than the beliefs themselves. There is rarely an attempt to substantiate the claims of the religious. When asked they do things like:

1) Get violent.
2) Cop out and run.
3) Throw out slogans like "youre close minded" "Respect my beleifs" "Bigot" and more.
4) Lie.
5) Claim your inquiries are offensive and its their "right" to believe.
6) Claim you are going to hell for even asking or citing things like Blasphemy Laws.

What they do NOT do is attempt to substantiate their claims... at all. In any way. There is only so much of those tactics one can take before one gets a little hostile and irate with the religious.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I have to say I am not really that sick of talking about it per se. It is an interesting subject that permeates our history, culture, language, psychology and more.

I am however sick having to battle it. I would love to wake up tomorrow and never have to deal with religion again. I simply am not let as all the things I AM interested in.... science, politics, education, sexuality, ethics, morality, children and more.... are areas where unsubstantiated religious ideas are forced in every day and we have to force back.

However in terms of defensiveness and being sick of it, I think you will find that it is more the cop outs and approaches by the religious that illicit the ire of atheists more than the beliefs themselves. There is rarely an attempt to substantiate the claims of the religious. When asked they do things like:

1) Get violent.
2) Cop out and run.
3) Throw out slogans like "youre close minded" "Respect my beleifs" "Bigot" and more.
4) Lie.
5) Claim your inquiries are offensive and its their "right" to believe.
6) Claim you are going to hell for even asking or citing things like Blasphemy Laws.

What they do NOT do is attempt to substantiate their claims... at all. In any way. There is only so much of those tactics one can take before one gets a little hostile and irate with the religious.
To Highlight a point you made.

Quote:
Excellent point, an error I believe most of us theists have made. Quite simply most of us have never had our beliefs challanged until we come in contact with atheists. Our beliefs become to us self evident truths and until our beliefs have been challenged several times, we have no real concept that a person could believe different. We can not fathom the idea that a person could not believe. We forget that it is our responsibility to prove God(swt) exists, it is not up to the atheist to prove He does not exist so we counter with "Prove there is no God(swt)." After that we end up reacting out of emotion and any meaningful, constructive debate becomes an impossibility.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,430,451 times
Quote:
Good thread.

While I disagree with atheism, I do want to keep my disagreements factual and not based on common misconceptions.
So you base your points of disagreement on myth and ancient superstition

Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,342,326 times
Quote:
We forget that it is our responsibility to prove God(swt) exists, it is not up to the atheist to prove He does not exist
It is certainly refreshing to hear someone from your side of the fence realise this. I look forward to seeing you actually DO it therefore

Old 10-07-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
It is certainly refreshing to hear someone from your side of the fence realise this. I look forward to seeing you actually DO it therefore
I'm not a very nice theist. I believe each person will have to find the existence of God(swt) on their own. I will only say I believe He exists and if questioned, try to explain why. I really am not out to convince anybody. We all live by our own choices and it is the responsibility of all of us to explore all possibilities of all things.

I have neither the ability, time nor desire to spoon feed the belief of God(swt) to anybody. If a person can not find God(swt) in their life on their own, there is nothing I can do or say to make them. If a person can not see evidence of God(swt) in a grain of sand, I doubt they would see it if he personally gave them a guided tour of the universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism