U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,668,736 times

Advertisements

When I consider the irreligious that I've met, the average is male and over 35. I don't have a huge pool to pull from here in Alabama, but the groups I've been involved with have been dominated by men but not by sexists. They've always been very cordial and kind.

I'm curious, though, in what sort of situations to others socialize with fellow atheists? Clubs, conventions, lectures? I have so few options, I'd like to know how the rest of the atheists of America get along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 12:12 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,978,743 times
Most of the atheists I communicate with are online. There aren't many of them nearby.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:36 PM

16,094 posts, read 17,895,645 times
Most of the atheists I know online are women - women with families and children. We started on the babycenter atheist board and now have a private proboard. There are still a bunch on the bbc board too who are not on our proboard. We used to have two men on the private board, but one has left. He probably felt ganged up on because he was one of our few conservatives. I don't discuss religion with people off line much. I knew more atheists when I lived in the Chicago area, but I don't know many in Texas other than those I have met from the meetup group here.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,429,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
rifleman: I agree. It is a good idea, and not too much to ask (although my username gives me away, as does yours).
I know quite a few longshoreman....that are women!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 PM

16,218 posts, read 18,684,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Interestiing..... down here in rural N. Carolina, perhaps because of location betwixt and between Greensboro, Raleigh, Durham, I know as many female Atheists as I do male. Then again, this is a more educated portion of the state.
Wow there are athiest in rural North Carolina aka bible country, I never knew! Thats interesting.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,391,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I'm curious, though, in what sort of situations to others socialize with fellow atheists?
Apparently, there is this place called City-Data . . . .

SEriously though, I know that people who don't have children tend to socialize with others without children - not by intention. So I guess that those without religion might also socialize with like-minded people. But I don't think there are organized athiest BBQs or bookclubs. It seems kind of pointless to sit around and discuss what you mutually don't believe.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:36 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,467,396 times
In my Dallas / Plano atheist meetup through meetup.com, the men outnumber the women by about 4 to 1 for get togethers. It has been brought up in conversation but nobody seems to have pinned down a decent explanation for it. Wish we had more women in our meetup group. Link below to an outspoken woman youtuber that I like listening to.

ReligiousFiction's Channel - YouTube

Old 10-30-2011, 01:24 PM

39,062 posts, read 10,837,135 times
I think she's pretty cool.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:18 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,371,891 times
Default Glory Be To Wimmin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
rifleman: I agree. It is a good idea, and not too much to ask (although my username gives me away, as does yours).
Hmmm good thought catperson, but you reasonably assume I didn't think of that perspective a long time ago! TBK*; I'm actually Marilyn Monroe reincarnate, out to show the men, esp. that over-gropy John Wayne guy, and also all the Kennedys, that I can indeed "hold my own end up, so to speak! (.)

Think of it! They all assume I'm an un-educated Suthuhn male redneck, a gun-totin' Christian-Republican, tah-baccy-chewin' and spittin' goat-head; when in fact I'z a secretly psychologically altered-state femme fatále hiding in this ultra-handsome male body, independently minded, a much-modified Libertarian, cold-blooded and highly edu-mah-kaytud atheist, but yupsters; gun-totin to be sure, and lots of them, btw....

A firearm for every purpose, I always say... It's almost a religion fur me!

As for havin' a sexist problem, yeah, I do. I really do! I despise the way most all men think of wimmin, esp. when they'z a'boastin' an' a'talkin amongst themselves, down a few brewzz, and they think we're all of that same blindingly dumb-a$$ male-dominant mindset.

Fact: I'd far ruther have a total female civil government here right about now, 'cept perhaps for the management of our military in the field, 'cause when we DO decide that we absolutely need to go kill and break stuff, we don't need no stinkin' compassionism lingering out there. Lookee at what "compassion" did for us in the 'Nam!!

*TBK: Truth Be Known

Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,250,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't have a huge pool to pull from here in Alabama, but the groups I've been involved with have been dominated by men ... .
Don't know the all reasons behind it, but I was reading "What Americans Really Believe" by Rodney Stark. It is an analysis of several nationwide surveys about religion. In it they found that women were more likely than men to "believe in God without doubts or reservations" (69% vs 57%) and that men were twice as likely to be atheist or agnostic.

One of their theories is that it relates to risk taking. Sort of an unconsous Pascal's wager calculation, when women tended to choose the more cautious option. When they selected only people who self identified as choosing more risky behavior (more common in men than women), the differences in religious belief based on gender mostly disappeared.

These are pretty rough studies and are by no means definitive, but they are interesting.

NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism