Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 05:30 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Sigh. Here we go with over the top aggressiveness and ad hom attacks. I might take the time to respond in detail to your post later; but, at this point I'm not really sure if it's worth the effort. I honestly doubt that a conversation with you will progress very far given the level of hostility you have already displayed and given the lack of respect you are showing women. Unfortunately, you appear to be part of the problem and the tone of your post doesn't give me much hope that you can be reasoned with at this time. Sad, really.

ETA: One thing I do find highly disturbing is the victim blaming you are engaging in with regards to rape. You are making a lot of assumptions based on a few sentences describing a scenario. While I am not going to give you a blow by blow of what happened, I will say that your attempt to shift responsibility from the person attempting rape to the victim is very revealing. With that being said, I do advise vigilance to prevent this type of scenario but I in no way blame victims for the behavior of others.
It is a viewpoint and a lot of coincides with what we are saying. I think we should welcome all views even if put a bit forcefully, not to say stridently. If we explain our position under question and justify it against criticism, then it come out the sounder.

Awaiting your promised PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 03:21 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It is a viewpoint and a lot of coincides with what we are saying. I think we should welcome all views even if put a bit forcefully, not to say stridently. If we explain our position under question and justify it against criticism, then it come out the sounder.

Awaiting your promised PM.

I do understand what you are saying and I even agree. I have no agenda to suppress a person's viewpoint; however, I typically don't engage with a person that comes off so aggressively. When I do find myself in the mood to take on such a person, I usually find it very draining.

I get that talking with everyone is beneficial as the arguments are being presented; but, in this particular post it appears to be primarily personal attacks. I will not be pulled into a game of he personally attacks and I defend myself. I'll probably respond later to any actual points he made but right now, I'm working on that PM I promised.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The Abrahamic religions are blantantly sexist. While individual atheists are doubtless also sexist, at least we have no so-called 'holy books' telling us that women are inferior to men.
The catmans right.....maybe the odd individual....but as a whole...NO!

Old 10-01-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I do understand what you are saying and I even agree. I have no agenda to suppress a person's viewpoint; however, I typically don't engage with a person that comes off so aggressively. When I do find myself in the mood to take on such a person, I usually find it very draining.
I know. I find amicable discussion is so much better because you can concede so much without risking a triumphant 'Ha! You see! I'm right!' and the exchange of ideas benefits everyone.

Quote:
I get that talking with everyone is beneficial as the arguments are being presented; but, in this particular post it appears to be primarily personal attacks. I will not be pulled into a game of he personally attacks and I defend myself. I'll probably respond later to any actual points he made but right now, I'm working on that PM I promised.
Ok. No hurry. I must look to see whether Elevatorgate is leading to some move for atheism to take a lead in dealing with sexism or its just being quietly forgotten and so we go on just as before.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:39 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
One thing that should help and be interesting is the women in secularism conference being held in DC in May 2012

Women in Secularism | Center for Inquiry

Quote:
Speakers will include (in alphabetical order) Ophelia Benson, Jamila Bey, Greta Christina, Elisabeth Cornwell, Margaret Downey, Annie Laurie Gaylor, Jennifer Michael Hecht, Sikivu Hutchinson, Susan Jacoby, Jennifer McCreight, Wafa Sultan, and Rebecca Watson.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:40 AM

Excellent. The fact is that a lot of people need an idea put into their heads and maybe that feminism and secularism make better bedfellows ...ahh..... sorry ...than feminism and religion and its emphasis on providing coffee and donuts for the men who meet to Decide Matters.

Elevatorgate is sure to come up and it should be seen as an opportunity to move away from just Bible - bashing and god - denying (the debate is as over as it is ever going to be) and get onto how we live as secularists how we can apply the Golden Rule (because if that isn't the touchstone we come back to again and again is secularist morality I don't know what is) and the wider implications of getting a secular society and its workings sorted out now because, if religion has failed to sort our social problems, then maybe secularism can, but not if we just let things jog along as they are.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
As an athiest myself I find it hard for women to be attracted to me because of faith. Women tend to be more spirtual then men for some reason. This is the reason why there is a lack of female athiests.
Interestiing..... down here in rural N. Carolina, perhaps because of location betwixt and between Greensboro, Raleigh, Durham, I know as many female Atheists as I do male. Then again, this is a more educated portion of the state.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:21 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Interesting read.

In my travels I have come across just as many women atheists as men. Even on this forum there seems to be a fairly equal number. Maybe they just don't get involved in formal organisations because they are busy juggling jobs and families.
It might be a good idea if City-Data would allow a small optional icon just below your online name, i.e.: a standard male or female sex-symbol. I hate it when you find out about 6 months later that you've been talking to a femme and just assume it was a male; that "usual assumption" has been that only us men have enough free time to blather on here, and that the women are all doing the necessary hard work around the place that we men can't be bothered to help out with!

Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
It might be a good idea if City-Data would allow a small optional icon just below your online name, i.e.: a standard male or female sex-symbol. I hate it when you find out about 6 months later that you've been talking to a femme and just assume it was a male; that "usual assumption" has been that only us men have enough free time to blather on here, and that the women are all doing the necessary hard work around the place that we men can't be bothered to help out with!
Did you think I was a man

Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
rifleman: I agree. It is a good idea, and not too much to ask (although my username gives me away, as does yours).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism