Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM

53 posts, read 53,559 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are a TINY bit jealous of religious people for the fact that they have an extra social club on weekends to meet with people who are likeminded. So we put out some feelers for people in our area who are atheists, and want to get together to discuss life, music, movies, parenting, mutual disdain for holy rollers, etc. We found an atheist "club," and went to a meetup.

The only problem....most of us don't have much else in common besides non-belief in God. Ironically, I don't find this to be such a horrible thing. It just means atheists aren't the stumbling clones that religious folk are. I still haven't given up on finding some non-religious people who are focused on life, not afterlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 10:22 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
That's sort of the nature of atheism . . . it's not a "belief system," just a minor point of disbelief. Most Christians, for example, have similar views on not just religion, but politics, morality, family, lifestyle, social interactions, etc., while atheists, as you said earlier, are all over the place. It's sort of the downside of accepting reality.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Yes. I found that, while it was interesting to talk to people who had a response other than a yawn or 'I know there's a God'. There wasn't much we had in common. Once we'd all pretty much said 'I don't believe in God or the Bible' and had a curry, that was it.

While this seems on the face of it to be a disadvantage - it doesn't have a social activity bond such as makes religion or sports attendance or military or paramilitary groups so socially strong - it is good that the only reason for atheism is the existence of theism. When that disappears, atheism will not be needed. Just as when there is no more war or oppression, there will be no need for anti war groups or amnesty international. And we can get on with other things that really matter more.

However, while people do still believe, teach and push this stuff, we have to push back.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,934 times
No.

Also, I'm not disappointed by social clubs for those of us who do not believe in leprechauns, those of us who do not collect stamps, and those of us who do not like rutabagas.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Perhaps establishing a group of like friends with common interests would be a more beneficial use of ones time.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDick View Post
My wife and I are a TINY bit jealous of religious people for the fact that they have an extra social club on weekends to meet with people who are likeminded. So we put out some feelers for people in our area who are atheists, and want to get together to discuss life, music, movies, parenting, mutual disdain for holy rollers, etc. We found an atheist "club," and went to a meetup.

The only problem....most of us don't have much else in common besides non-belief in God. Ironically, I don't find this to be such a horrible thing. It just means atheists aren't the stumbling clones that religious folk are. I still haven't given up on finding some non-religious people who are focused on life, not afterlife.
I never attended clubs in person, but many websites tend to just be atheists talking about religious people, or trying to get laid or finding someone to spend the rest of their life with.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
I think part of my problem is that I don't really like groups of people in the first place. The quickest way to get me to shut up, clam up, and feel left out is to introduce me to a bunch of people at the same time. Groups of people, in my opinion, have a tendency to make things "cheesy." There's nothing I cannot stand more than making things "cheesy." I will not be playing Ring Toss, Pin the Tail on Jesus, Beating a Piñata, or anything else in my free time. Groups of people take things to extremes that I simply don't like.

I'd much rather be with one or two of my closest friends, with whom we all get along well, have no need to worry about passed judgments from a large group of people, and can say and do whatever we please without fear of reprisal or judgment. True humanity exposes itself on the most individual of levels. Large groups are nothing more than a concealment of humanity and a juxtaposition of false reverence. It is often hypocrisy in its highest form and something I simply cannot deal with.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
That's sort of the nature of atheism . . . it's not a "belief system," just a minor point of disbelief. Most Christians, for example, have similar views on not just religion, but politics, morality, family, lifestyle, social interactions, etc., while atheists, as you said earlier, are all over the place. It's sort of the downside of accepting reality.
Aptly put. We aren't ALL disagreeing on things per se, there just isn't the instant bond and meeting of the minds I expected.

Though most of us seemed to like Bill Maher!

Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Perhaps establishing a group of like friends with common interests would be a more beneficial use of ones time.
Well we've done that, too. I have friends who are into snowboarding, mountain biking, movies, good books, etc.

However, my wife and I are sarcastic, cynical people who, for lack of a better way to put it, practice making religious people the butt of our jokes in our spare time. We thought perhaps an atheist social club might put us in that venue. It wasn't our only hope at making friends, like "put all the chips on red 23, the fellow atheists!"

Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think part of my problem is that I don't really like groups of people in the first place. The quickest way to get me to shut up, clam up, and feel left out is to introduce me to a bunch of people at the same time. Groups of people, in my opinion, have a tendency to make things "cheesy." There's nothing I cannot stand more than making things "cheesy." I will not be playing Ring Toss, Pin the Tail on Jesus, Beating a Piñata, or anything else in my free time. Groups of people take things to extremes that I simply don't like.

I'd much rather be with one or two of my closest friends, with whom we all get along well, have no need to worry about passed judgments from a large group of people, and can say and do whatever we please without fear of reprisal or judgment. True humanity exposes itself on the most individual of levels. Large groups are nothing more than a concealment of humanity and a juxtaposition of false reverence. It is often hypocrisy in its highest form and something I simply cannot deal with.
I found myself agreeing with this to the point of snickering. My wife and I are the same way. And I wonder if this "lone wolf" personality is more represented among atheists.

We have a slight case of misanthropy. And given that the world is by and large fooled by superstitious myths, it's no wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism