U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM

1,588 posts, read 1,972,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

The most common misunderstanding is that the basis of atheism is agnosticism - NOT knowing, rather than knowing. If you don't know that a god exists or is even probable, then logically you ought not to believe that it exists. That's all atheism is.
Well said, I woulld venture that another misunderstanidng of Athiests is that they not only believe that a God/Afterlife does not exist based on your explanation above, but are glad for it. That they are indeed happy that checkout time is the end of their present existence.

If a supreme being ever makes his/herself known, shows there is indeed an afterlife and holds no grudges against Athiests for non-belief. And in fact offers them the option of not entering it if they whish, keeping thier present life as the final chapter, would some Athiests opt for this? Sure, a certain percentage might, but I think the majority would opt to go forward, assuming the afterlife is a benevolent environment, or at least neutral in nature and not some sort of pennance or punishment.

In the latter case I would guess given the option many Thiests would choose to opt out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,905,628 times
Oh, I should add that I mentioned my lack of vices not as some badge of honor, per se but mainly because [some] Christians LOVE to wheel out the old tired argument that such things are often the MAIN reasons people "CHOOSE" to be atheists. [Begin sarcasm]After all, we were ALL born believers in god but chose to rebel and become atheists/agnostics[/End sarcasm]

Old 09-20-2011, 06:47 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,335,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Oh, I should add that I mentioned my lack of vices not as some badge of honor, per se but mainly because [some] Christians LOVE to wheel out the old tired argument that such things are often the MAIN reasons people "CHOOSE" to be atheists. [Begin sarcasm]After all, we were ALL born believers in god but chose to rebel and become atheists/agnostics[/End sarcasm]
Well, I am a craft brew drinking, homebrewing Theist who is not afraid of a little marijuana from time to time.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,905,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Well, I am a craft brew drinking, homebrewing Theist who is not afraid of a little marijuana from time to time.
Well you're just sailing through life aren't you? lol

Old 09-20-2011, 07:23 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,335,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Well you're just sailing through life aren't you? lol
Every day is an adventure!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,186,968 times
Quote:
Good posts. I'd say that the title should be 'The misrepresented atheist' since the misunderstood atheist is the one accused of claiming to 'know' that there is no God - 100% certainty, having all knowledge, has looked everywhere in the universe, believes that science has all the answers.

The most common misunderstanding is that the basis of atheism is agnosticism - NOT knowing, rather than knowing. If you don't know that a god exists or is even probable, then logically you ought not to believe that it exists. That's all atheism is.

The misrepresentation is based on all sorts of immoderate assumptions and claims made by and for theism. That it imparts morals, answers all our questions, gave us our intelligence if not our very existence and not only gives all our lives some meaning but gives us hope for something better, if not in this life, maybe in a next one.

It follows that anyone rejecting these claims and assumptions are without morals, having no wisdom, except the pitiful human opinions of logic and the fairy tales of so - called science, fails to explain - indeed, ignores - all the evidence - for - god -of our intelligence and has a life without meaning, hope or expectation of an afterlife.

Moreover, it is dark, despairing, suicidal, wicked and nihilistic. All assumptions based on this misunderstanding and misrepresentation of atheism. If it simply misunderstands, the misunderstanding is forgivable but, when it has been corrected so many times, it looks like deliberate, calculated, cynical and wilful misrepresentation.

And we know why. To discredit atheism and its very sound and (to theism) dangerous arguments. So it is of course justified to smear it it as one would a political opponent with being a sort of Godless faith in science with it its approval of baby murder, genocide and the BOMB It wants to fornicate in the street (I heard a Islamic cleric say exactly that) have totalitarian states where the unfit to survive are coldly eliminated in accordance with Darwinist eugenics theory.

There is no art, no laughter, no love, no fantasy or beauty. We are all going to be soulless mindless robots logically programmed to such clinical ruthlessness that good and evil has becomes meaningless. It's total malicious garbage, but very effective propaganda.

This isn't even addressing the 'you are afraid of hellfire' argument. The buggers have had 3,000 years since 'The fool hath said..' was written to think up their nasty smears, so by now it's a long list.
Amen and hallelujah to that! Won't let me rep ya though...

Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 AM

39,023 posts, read 10,819,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Amen and hallelujah to that! Won't let me rep ya though...
Money will do very well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Well said, I would venture that another misunderstanding of Atheists is that they not only believe that a God/Afterlife does not exist based on your explanation above, but are glad for it. That they are indeed happy that checkout time is the end of their present existence.

If a supreme being ever makes his/herself known, shows there is indeed an afterlife and holds no grudges against Atheists for non-belief. And in fact offers them the option of not entering it if they wish, keeping their present life as the final chapter, would some Atheists opt for this? Sure, a certain percentage might, but I think the majority would opt to go forward, assuming the afterlife is a benevolent environment, or at least neutral in nature and not some sort of penance or punishment.

In the latter case I would guess given the option many Theists would choose to opt out.
I would say content rather than happy. My feeling is that it's no use crying for the moon. Make the most of what you have rather than moan about your dinner in the delusion that it is somehow going to earn you a second helping. After all there might be one coming, but you can't count on it and you haven't seen anyone else coming past with diner mark 2. Just some claims that someone has seen someone else with a second dinner and I think that analogy has now gone as cold and greasy as an old burgher.

I have a standing invitation for our Ol' fissionable friend to pop in to visit in the dark hours and tell me I had it all wrong. Of course no more is that going to happen than that bottle of water on my desk is going to turn into wine (Not that any of those theists on another forum ever took up the challenge to pray for a miracle - I guess they knew as well as I did that nothing that was not a coincidence would ever happen in response to prayer).

Ramble ramble...I guess I have already outstayed my welcome here and every year I can bang the drum for the Straw Vulcan party is a bonus. In fact this thread has made me realize why we need AA. even when we are fighting house to house in R/P, where the argument goes on with the hundred - headed hydra of hignorance.

AA is where atheists can discuss atheism and where it should be going. Don't forget the questions raised by Elevatorgate. If the goddless bastards are ever going to be ready with an alternative worldview to the bumbling irrational sin-morality based one which for crying out loud is the best any of our political leaders seem to be able to manage, they are going to have to move from Bible shredding to practical rationalism in everything. (pauses, Clegg style, for applause. Doesn't get any)

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-21-2011 at 03:27 AM..

Old 09-21-2011, 05:08 AM

19,778 posts, read 19,880,941 times
Quote:

(pauses, Clegg style, for applause. Doesn't get any)
A lonely Clap,clap.
Take note of how few of us are here in what are the early morning hours in the US.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:49 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,881,575 times
I have seen many atheists say atheism only means no belief in a god or gods.
And I’ve seen the arguments with theists that theist often want to attach more meaning to it than that.
I personally think it only means no belief in god or gods. And does not have added attachments such as not believing in an afterlife or reincarnation or a non thinking life force.

So if we don’t want theist to add to the definition of atheism than we need to be clear on our own definition of atheism.
Am I wrong in my definition?
Does it mean more than just no belief in gods?

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,186,968 times
Quote:

OK... I've tried to put some 50's in the slot on my computer, but the damn thing just makes a funny whirring noise and smokes a lot. Moderator cut: inappropriate how does this thing work anyway?! This looks a lot easier in the illustrations...

Last edited by june 7th; 10-07-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or