U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:43 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,370,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
I have seen many atheists say atheism only means no belief in a god or gods.
And Iíve seen the arguments with theists that theist often want to attach more meaning to it than that.
I personally think it only means no belief in god or gods. And does not have added attachments such as not believing in an afterlife or reincarnation or a non thinking life force.

So if we donít want theist to add to the definition of atheism than we need to be clear on our own definition of atheism.
Am I wrong in my definition?
Does it mean more than just no belief in gods?

Cheers,
Aeroman
Yeah, of course. No belief in Godz, any of them. It's that simple and it has no effect on one's other tangilbe or intangible values. In fact, by freeing up one's constraints, it absolutely enhances many of those tangible values, like humility, functioning intellect, the ability to communicate in a wholesome inarrogant () manner with your fellow peer-equal hominids, and to not take the rants of the manipulative types too seriously.

But theists have several desperate needs to fulfill. Or defend. Let's see why:

√ Their own belief system is at stake whenever it's openly and honestly discussed.

√ The alterate to a Godly faith-based existence (aka: atheism) means the culmination of their entire life's essential energies have quite likely been totally wasted.

√ If there is No Afterlife, we have a killer problem for most every Christian, who is, to a greater or lesser degree, depending on that "fact" for their own personal sense of peace and enjoyment of this obviously limited life.

Ever notice how more and more devout most Christians become as their own mortality becomes ever more imminent? Age, diseases, loss of physical functionality, and a growing lack of interest in struggling through the learning of virtually anything new and potentially complex. (like actually reading and understanding DNA and the latest sequence-mapping abilities, the ones that prove Evolution.)

I mean, just take a look at the elder church goers as they approach their mid -70s and beyond? Can you imagine trying to convert any of them, buy any means possible, to become absolute atheists? NBL!

"Git thet darned new-fangled sciency stuff offa my table, suh...neee! Cayn't-cha see I'z doin' a new jigsaw puzzle they juss broughtch over from The Church of The Holy Titherist?? Its the one with Jee-bus cuddlin' thet cutesy momma lion and thet cuddlee lammie... It's jist sooo cute... thet lioness juss sittin' there an' lickin' her lips like thet....

Now git outa here, 'afore I has to call my nurse Big Thorra in here tah boot your sorry Godless heathen atheist a$$ out!!"

Which is also why we can't get through to any of them here, either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 AM

12,887 posts, read 15,427,107 times
I don't think there's ANY misunderstanding at all....the only reason people don't understand atheism is because they flat out just DO NOT want to know.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,974,576 times
But ignorance causes misunderstanding as well.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:18 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,719,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I don't think atheists are bad at all. As I have said before, there are often times when I am tempted by a naturalistic explanation of the cosmos. I freely admit that there is no empirical evidence for my belief. Then again, I am not some whacked out zealot either. Here is a recent quote from myself on a similar recent CD thread.....

"I sometimes find it hard to communicate with other people who are theists. Perhaps that is because I can't take organized religion seriously. I like the following, rather lenghty quote from G.K. Chesterton to explain my belief.

"It is very hard for a man to defend anything of which he is entirely convinced. It is comparatively easy when he is only partially convinced. He is partially convinced because he has found this or that proof of the thing, and he can expound it. But a man is not really convinced of a philosophic theory when he finds that something proves it. He is really only convinced when he finds that everything proves it. And the more converging reasons he finds pointing to this conviction, the more bewildered he is if asked suddenly to sum them up. Thus, if one asked an ordinary intelligent man, on the spur of the moment, "Why do you prefer civilization over savagery?", he would look wildly round at object after object, and would only be able to answer vaguely, "Why, there is that bookcase.....and the coals in the coal scuttle....and pianos.....and policemen." The whole case for civilization is that the case for it is complex. It has done so many things. But that very multiplicity of proof which ought to make reply overwhelming makes reply impossible."

It is here that I have purchased in. I like the various arguments, cosmological and moral, but what it boils down to for me is that everything makes sense if it is true. Also, if it is true especially, then the belief is warranted. I can imagine a possible world in which God is real, and those that do believe in such a God may have a certain relationship with him/her/it that makes those beliefs all the more real. Not all theists should have to be apologists in order to believe if there really is a God.

All that said, respect for others beliefs is an absolute necessity, as is respect for others privacy. I can assure you that through my voice, my vote, or my daily life, my belief would not affect someone's who thinks other than I do. Because I also believe in other absolutes, like freedom. I do not believe in a government controlled by people who believe in a diety, or a government controlled by any who would impose their beliefs upon the whole."
Perfect post!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,370,795 times
Default It's obvious! Save Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Well, I am a craft brew drinking, homebrewing Theist who is not afraid of a little marijuana from time to time.
See! You See? Godless, heathen atheists, running naked through the woods, fornicatin' with loose wimim, drinkin' homemade beer and playin' git-box mew-zik!

Versus us, bound for heaven and our Lord, with our tightly fitting button-down collars and pleated pants, and that heavenly book held tightly under our dewey armpits, all marching in careful, quiet lockstep towards salvation and that Golden Ship that IS coming, I tell you!.

Now really, you of The Lost and Ethically Bereft; whose shoes would YOU rather be in?

Saved or or..... damned? (PS: Your last chance here! God takes on all who come to Him with a heartfelt confession! PTL. PTL!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Oh you... shush up! You're just the sort what causes unrest!

Old 10-08-2011, 08:49 AM

4,487 posts, read 4,367,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
See! You See? Godless, heathen atheists, running naked through the woods, fornicatin' with loose wimim, drinkin' homemade beer and playin' git-box mew-zik!

I am so there Rifleman. throw in a pool table, a couple of dart boards and a deck of cards and it's as close to heaven as I can think of.

Oh, and a 90inch flat screen with unlimited sports channels.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 AM

12,887 posts, read 15,427,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
true...but some people choose to be ignorant...(ignorance is bliss)

Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM

39,044 posts, read 10,831,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I am so there Rifleman. throw in a pool table, a couple of dart boards and a deck of cards and it's as close to heaven as I can think of.

Oh, and a 90inch flat screen with unlimited sports channels.

"As above, so below." it seems. If there a life after this one it seems that it'll be one that doesn't suit me.

'Here's your little suite, you godless bastard (1). You have your red button 'Library of the universe' here. Your blue button 'Big bang to whimper channel' there. Your yellow button complete music from the palaeolithic bowstring dance to Sibbe's 8th before he tore it up. And your Jensen Button sports channel.'

'Cool!'

'Lucky for you. isn't it?..just my little joke.'

'What's the food like?'

"Your 'room service' green button for a range of delicacies from the Sung China court to the finest products of the Kitchens of Versailles or the chefs of the Mughals.'

'Strewth. When they called him 'merciful' I thought it was just being polite.'

'We aim to please, O infidel one. If you want to drown out the sound of drunken fornication and over - amplified eggslicers, merely press the 'mute' white button."

'That's good. Pity I sorta elected to pass up the loose wimmin."

'Violet button, sir."

And with that, I shall bid ye all farewell whilst I am absent on malefactor - reaming duties for a week or so.

(1) Rowan Atkinson as a demon voice would be perfect. Or the waiter at the Restaurant at the end of the universe if Rowan wants too much.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-09-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or