U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:28 AM

12,887 posts, read 15,421,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Like many atheist, I grew up in a "Christian home" albeit one of those left wing ones and I still haven't thrown the teachings of Jesus out with the bath water, meanings that while I thoroughly reject the divinity of Christ or the existence of a god, I still hold dear the principles of love, forgiveness and charity expressed in the New Testament... more so it seems than those who proclaim their Christianity with bull horns. So, my question is, am I alone in keeping the principles but rejecting the mythology?
You can call love,forgiveness, and charity "teachings of christ" if you want....but those principles as well as compassion, empathy,respect for others,etc are all good.....and can be just as easily held dear and applyed by someone who has never held a religious belief or background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 01:55 PM

224 posts, read 590,868 times
Christian atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just thought i would show you.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,905,628 times
Quote:
Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. I will strike her children dead.
- Revelation 2:20-23 (Supposedly Jesus speaking)

This is not exactly the lovely image of Jesus many Christians care to mention, but I digress and understand what Ovcatto is talking about.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:11 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,950,506 times
Christian Based Atheism

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water......

Old 09-23-2011, 02:15 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,406,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Like many atheist, I grew up in a "Christian home" albeit one of those left wing ones and I still haven't thrown the teachings of Jesus out with the bath water, meanings that while I thoroughly reject the divinity of Christ or the existence of a god, I still hold dear the principles of love, forgiveness and charity expressed in the New Testament... more so it seems than those who proclaim their Christianity with bull horns. So, my question is, am I alone in keeping the principles but rejecting the mythology?
No, you're not alone. I feel exactly the same way.

I believe the Bible is basically a work of literature; especially the Old Testament. It's a book written over the span of 1500 years by dozens of authors. Ancient peoples who were trying their best to convey to us their God Experience, through the use of metaphor and allegory and symbolism.
I think a man called Jesus most likely existed about 2000 years ago, but he was just that: a man. A fine teacher, like Siddartha Gautama or Lao Tsu or Ghandi or Mohammed. (Even Jesus' followers called him "rabbi" which means "teacher.")
But the thing is, Jesus was completely, fully, perfectly tapped into "God." Moreso than any man before or since. Thus, I guess I could agree with his "Christ" title, so long as we remember that name comes from the Greek word "kristos" which means "annointed one." I would agree that he was annointed only if we could agree that that word means he was fully aware of and tuned into God's presence.
I also believe Jesus was born of a mortal man and woman, and most likely had siblings. I think the whole virgin birth thing was only another instance of metaphor being used to convey a sense of divinity and superiority to normal men.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:51 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,081,824 times
I was with you until..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I would agree that he was annointed only if we could agree that that word means he was fully aware of and tuned into God's presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism