U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,149,365 times

Advertisements

Like many atheist, I grew up in a "Christian home" albeit one of those left wing ones and I still haven't thrown the teachings of Jesus out with the bath water, meanings that while I thoroughly reject the divinity of Christ or the existence of a god, I still hold dear the principles of love, forgiveness and charity expressed in the New Testament... more so it seems than those who proclaim their Christianity with bull horns. So, my question is, am I alone in keeping the principles but rejecting the mythology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM

656 posts, read 934,013 times
Yes, you are. All other atheists are Ayn Rand quoting, "F you, I got mine"-style right wing plutocrats or plutocrat wannabes with no concern for their fellow man, except maybe as cheap labor and an emergency food source if things get really desperate.

Last edited by Stavemaster; 09-21-2011 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 PM

13,144 posts, read 19,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Like many atheist, I grew up in a "Christian home" albeit one of those left wing ones and I still haven't thrown the teachings of Jesus out with the bath water, meanings that while I thoroughly reject the divinity of Christ or the existence of a god, I still hold dear the principles of love, forgiveness and charity expressed in the New Testament... more so it seems than those who proclaim their Christianity with bull horns. So, my question is, am I alone in keeping the principles but rejecting the mythology?
Love, charity and forgiveness are concepts that predate Christianity by thousands of years.

Like most things there is a grain of truth in even the most outlandish stories; Christianity would not have appealed to the masses for 2000 years if it didn't heavily involve deeply rooted human ideals and archetypes at it's heart.

I think you would be a fool to call yourself a christian, but you would be an even bigger fool to deny the extremely valid and important lessons illustrated in the majority of the bible stories.

Don't get all huggy, fluffy and weepy and crap on us though... we heathens have a reputation to keep here.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,149,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Love, charity and forgiveness are concepts that predate Christianity by thousands of years.
Well of course they do, but then again, my family didn't use Asyrian or Sythian texts to teach them to me.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM

13,144 posts, read 19,231,290 times
Quote:
Well of course they do, but then again, my family didn't use Asyrian or Sythian texts to teach them to me.
Too bad...the ancient mythologies were a hell of a lot more entertaining...

Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,062,753 times
Well......I do believe in treating people the way I would like to be treated. From time to time (not much lately) some folks see my laid back style as a weakness and get all consumed with dumb ass and I find myself in the position of bringing them back down to earth, somewhat rudely, I can be fluent in ill-mannered. It is not my preferred methodology but some folks leave me little alternative.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 AM

39,320 posts, read 10,946,230 times
Yes, of course, I have grown up valuing a lot of the principles expressed in the Bible, though I recall that it wasn't the Bible that persuaded me but being asked to consider the feelings of others. In fact I was being taught the Golden Rule, even though I didn't know that was what it was.

I suppose it was learning that there were other great principles in Hinduism and Buddhism of which Christianity had no inkling that made me realize that Christianity hadn't got all the wisdom and of course, my mental journey as an atheist has made me realize that these principles are rather man made and religions hi - jack them to bolster their own authority.

We don't need religion to hold to these principles and we certainly shouldn't hold to other less agreeable principles, teachings or directives just because they are in the Holy Books.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,755,325 times
Moral codes and ethics are not biblical, they began long before any religion. They are how we evolved as a part of a group. You think they come from christianity simply because Western societies have a Judeo-Christian legacy.

The bible certainly is not the gold standard of morality that's for sure. The NT included.

For all of the fluffiness christians like to think came from Jesus' sayings, he also said some pretty awful stuff as well.

Most people will go to hell;

Matthew 10:17 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Turn against your family and the best one of all...I have not come to bring peace!

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 10:36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

People can twist the NT any which way they want, there are glaringly obvious contradictions about both Jesus' words and his message.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,738,507 times
I would go a step further and say general western values snuck into the modern teachings of Christianity, rather than the other way around. It influenced what parts of the New Testiment were focused on and which parts were ignored.

Because the real quotes from in the NT can often be as anti-social as they are pro.

The only reason we would consider jesus as a good role model is because we have remade him in our image.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:25 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,471,897 times
Quote:
Well, you *should* throw away biblical teachings. Jesus and the New Testament don't actually teach the lovey-dovey-accept-all version of christianity that most christians think they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism